Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

MichaelB

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! DONE - see p5

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:24 am

Mulger bill wrote:Scrounge a pair of second hand tyres from an LBS and fit them before you return :wink:
And a used chain, pair of discs and some greasy paws for the handlebar tape.

Won't get away with a dodgy receipt. Customs knows quite a bit about what is released when and the value. Remember, they have internet too !!! :wink:

Enjoy the holiday and a writeup please :D

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:50 am

Crawf wrote::roll: Yes, not covered in mud obviously, but some signs to show that it's not fresh out a box.
Doesn't have to be covered in mud for AQIS to get all hot and bothered. I took my road bike o/s a couple of years ago and rode for a week around only on sealed roads in dry weather and coming back through customs they were chatting me about it being dirty. It was cleaner than 99% of bikes I see.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 am

Almost made it to the top of the list : (from CN poll re Best innovation in 2011)

Best Tech Innovation
1 Pedal-based power meters 8,205 (37.9%)
2 Disc brakes for 'cross and road bikes 5,149 (23.8%)
3 Hydraulic shifting 2,349 (10.9%)

4 FSA BB386 Evo bottom bracket standard 1,310 (6.1%)
5 Long-travel 29ers 1,224 (5.7%)
6 Ridley Noah FB integrated brake calipers 974 (4.5%)
7 Selle Italia Monolink saddle/seatpost interface 846 (3.9%)
8 Specialized/Fox Racing ShoxAutoSag rear shocks 676 (3.1%)
9 142x12mm thru-axle rear dropouts 612 (2.8%)
10 Slack-angled cross-country mountain bikes 289 (1.3%)

In my mind though, are the Pedal based meters not yet available in retail, so really shouldn't be considered ? Particularly the Vector one ?

Also intereswting was the Hydraulic shifting system being made by Acros.

Hmmmm, hydro shifters and brakes YUMMY :mrgreen:

koen

Postby koen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 am

Is that innovation or expensovation

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 pm

koen wrote:Is that innovation or expensovation
Qeh ?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Creating more complex and potentially less reliable bikes and components (or anything) more as a means of boosting the corporate bottom line than due to any real need among users...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 am

Mulger bill wrote:Creating more complex and potentially less reliable bikes and components (or anything) more as a means of boosting the corporate bottom line than due to any real need among users...
So does that apply to all things like gearing, carbon usage etc - so we should go back to plain steel single speed bikes ...

Meh, just because it is out there, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it/buy it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Creating more complex and potentially less reliable bikes and components (or anything) more as a means of boosting the corporate bottom line than due to any real need among users...
So does that apply to all things like gearing, carbon usage etc - so we should go back to plain steel single speed bikes ...

Meh, just because it is out there, doesn't mean you HAVE to use it/buy it.
Since we are OT anyway. I went from carbon back to steel. I have a CrMo, an Al and a plain steel (mainly Hi-Ten) bike. Going back to steel wouldn't be a bad thing as it would be better for the environment. Even when they recycle CF, it just ends up as more CF products with shorter fibres.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... koff-32346

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 pm

No argument Michael, it applies to just about everything in a consumerist society. Do we really need 3D TVs? It's not that long since flatscreens became common.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:07 am

Mulger bill wrote:No argument Michael, it applies to just about everything in a consumerist society. Do we really need 3D TVs? It's not that long since flatscreens became common.
No, and I aint getting one. I hate 99% of 3D movies, as they don't add enough to the experience of paying extra and wering uncomfortable glasses (I don't wear glasses). The ONLY 3D movie I liked, and really it's a 4D one, was at Hong Kong Disneyland where the out of screen action was quite prominent, vs many of the 'just adding a bit of depth' types that you see at the moment.

Now, back on topic.

To reply to a query from eeksil
MichaelB wrote:
eeksll wrote:Do you ever feel like your hands are going to slide off the top of the hoods when braking hard? I get that feeling on rim brakes sometimes
Nope, but then I have my levers sitting up a bit. I can see the type of issue that you mention with the levers that Hangdog98 uses or when the levers are set pretty flat.

Had to do some pretty quick stops from the hoods, but haven't had that issue yet.
The braking I was doing is 90% from the middle finger only, with the index finger just there and doing bugger all.

Just clicked over 2,000km on the Kona the other night :mrgreen:

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Teaser shot!

Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Crittski wrote:Teaser shot!

More please !
I want more :D

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 am

is that a Volagi Liscio???? There is a pretty comprehensive review of that bike in the November edition of Road Bike Action magazine. Got good reviews by the looks of it.

They commented that it was "not for the Racer Crown but exceedingly well suited for the intended market" From the article i gathered this particular model is aimed at long distance riding and has unusual seat stay design aimed at making for a comfortable ride.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 am

giwi2 wrote:is that a Volagi Liscio???? There is a pretty comprehensive review of that bike in the November edition of Road Bike Action magazine. Got good reviews by the looks of it.

They commented that it was "not for the Racer Crown but exceedingly well suited for the intended market" From the article i gathered this particular model is aimed at long distance riding and has unusual seat stay design aimed at making for a comfortable ride.
Got it in one.

Haven't seen the review in the RBA, but I'm on one when they come to Oz hopefully next year.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Do we really need 3D TVs?
No, and I aint getting one.
But they're the way of the future! You don't have to put up with 1950's technology any more. :lol:

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Well i'm in the process of getting parts to convert my single speed to disc front!
Tried searching for "better brakes on single speed" *cough*.... LOL

Should be around $350-400 - as i'm not sourcing everything myself cheaply

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Nate wrote:Well i'm in the process of getting parts to convert my single speed to disc front!
Tried searching for "better brakes on single speed" *cough*.... LOL

Should be around $350-400 - as i'm not sourcing everything myself cheaply
Still have the forks, wheel (Veloicty A23 on Magura (DT Swiss) hub 32 3x), disc and caliper ready to go (the setup that I used on the Argon18) if you want a bargain .....

All ready and waiting to go :mrgreen:

Ahhh doo you a speshial price, meester, cheep !!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:53 am

Seems the abilities of disc in cross are gaining support Excerpt below from Johnson, taking the second win for a disc equipped cross bike (Cannondale).

The choice seemed to pay off with his second win of the season and for the disc-equipped bikes. And while, he admits that the brakes are impressive, but he doesn't want to openly share more. "I can't tell you much for publication, other than, I don't think discs are just for muddy hilly courses," said Johnson.

It's the thin end of the wedge !!!! :mrgreen:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 am

I read the article thinking the second win with discs might be aided by an aero advantage as it was a very fast course. Those wide cantis don't look too aero to me. Although, more likely, he was just the fastest on that day. Time and testing will tell. Llikely in 10 years time, no-one will be using cantis for pro competition anymore and those that remember back will wonder why they ever did.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for that Ross.
Funny, after close to 4 years with discs on a dropbar and I am thinking 2012 will be the year of moving from 160 to 140 rotors.
Came that close to buying some f & r 140s two weeks back and now I dont know why it has taken me so long to give it a go.

toolonglegs

Adding a front disc to a road bike !! DONE - see p5

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:13 pm

He probably won because he is finally coming into form after a very slow start to the season... And some of the other big guns were not there.
I don't think we will see a proliferation in discs till one of the big 3 offer up a light weight hydraulic option ( talk of it mid next year ) ... 2 to 3 pounds extra weight on a cx bike is a lot for these guys. Powers has the option of running discs as well with focus but hasn't done so yet. And in sloppy old Europe none of the top guys are trying them yet.
Maybe next year.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 am

That second article linked by Ross is interesting, and need to read in full later (when back at work :wink: ) and also the comments, so that is great and thanks for that.

I'm still keen to see what the next iteration of the STI's bring re Hydraulics.

The weight argument still keeps coming up. but it's all still guesstimates rather than a true actual comparison. I don't think it's a few pounds, more like 2 max (from my experience).

cobba

Postby cobba » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Last edited by cobba on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:42 pm

MichaelB wrote:The weight argument still keeps coming up.
Because it is relevant, and of utmost importance in racing. 2 pounds makes no difference to a commuter like you or me, but in a race that sort of weight is a handicap.