Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

mrgolf

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

Postby mrgolf » Sun May 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Food for thought. Thanks. How does the long throw work with standard levers? What do you run? I have teggie 10spd on the donor bike. Also, do the HY/RDs stop better than the tektro's? I am running Hayes CX-5 and I find they stop me fine, but are a far cry from mtb hydro.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Lever throw will almost touch the bar on a properly adjusted caliper. I am using compression cable which is against the suggested manufacturers cable.
Yep, the HY/RD stops better than Lyra's, more modulation and soft as a cotton.
Hayes CX-5 stops better IMO. But the again, I have 200mm rotors with them compared to 160 on HY/RDs.
By the way, I am using them on 6770 Ultegra Levers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun May 11, 2014 10:31 pm

rheicel wrote:Hayes CX-5 stops better IMO. But the again, I have 200mm rotors with them compared to 160 on HY/RDs.
You could probably improve the HY/RDs by getting more solid rotors. The ones on the pics look gappy to me.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun May 11, 2014 10:35 pm

^yep, thanks

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 am

I know this image is going back a while (2012 to be exact) but I saw a disc braked Culrpit like the above on the bicentennial bikeway in Brisbane yesterday afternoon. looked nice

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:45 am

rheicel wrote:On Road use, I can only compare it to my previous Lyra.

Mechanical Tektro Lyra are good enough for Road Bike use. I used these Lyras as temporary brakes and can stop me well both on dry and wet condition.

Now, for the TRP HY/RD, the brakes are overkill for road use which is good. I ended up just using my Disc Road Bike as Road bike as supposed to planned CX bike, so I cannot comment on the CX use of HY/RD's. HY/Rd have less power compared to any of the MTB Hydraulic Brakes I have used before (Hayes, Avid and Shimano), though this can only be attributed to type of rotor or pads.

Downside of HY/RD = long lever throw. Hope it helps.
rheicel wrote:Lever throw will almost touch the bar on a properly adjusted caliper. I am using compression cable which is against the suggested manufacturers cable.
Yep, the HY/RD stops better than Lyra's, more modulation and soft as a cotton.
Hayes CX-5 stops better IMO. But the again, I have 200mm rotors with them compared to 160 on HY/RDs.
By the way, I am using them on 6770 Ultegra Levers

the long lever throw will be partly to do with your incorrect outer cable. use a compressionless cable and it will feel much better (especially on the rear, as there is more compression available due to the longer length)

the larger rotor on the CX-5's will definitely make them feel more powerful as well... i had Hayes CX Experts (same as CX-5) and TRP Spyre's on 2 different bikes. both ran the same rotors, just the Experts were a larger size and the felt more powerful. swapped them over and they both had similar power for equal sized rotors, however the Spyres had much better modulation compared to the Experts.

as also mentioned, a more solid rotor; something like a Avid HS1, or their new centreline will help as well.

i'm running TRP Spyre's on 160/140mm HS1 rotors on my CX bike. at ~90kg it pulls me up fine every time... it's nothing like the hydraulic brakes on my MTB (also running 160/160 HS1's) but it's certainly what i consider to be good.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Currently test riding a Polygon Helios C6 disc with shimano cable calipers. Gotta say they still work pretty darned well on 160mm RT-76 rotors.

They are ugly as sin though.

The Volagi is in process of going to 11sp with RS685 levers, but with a bit of Zee thrown in :twisted:

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:Currently test riding a Polygon Helios C6 disc with shimano cable calipers. Gotta say they still work pretty darned well on 160mm RT-76 rotors.

They are ugly as sin though.

The Volagi is in process of going to 11sp with RS685 levers, but with a bit of Zee thrown in :twisted:
surely Zee calipers on RS685 levers is going to be overkill... disc brakes weren't so much introduced for massive power; more so a light lever feel, performance in the wet, non exploding carbon wheels/tubes and self adjusting pads for hydraulic variants.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Maybe the Zee calipers are sitting in the spares box awaiting a project.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Yes, a bit of overkill, but more about modulation, better thermal capacity (I'm not small and like going downhill fast) and being different.

Hence the Volagi, disc conversion to the Argon18, TRP Parabox, converting Avid calipers, different rotor sizes and pad materials etc

What haven't I done in the past for you to not expect something like this :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
surely Zee calipers on RS685 levers is going to be overkill... disc brakes weren't so much introduced for massive power; more so a light lever feel, performance in the wet, non exploding carbon wheels/tubes and self adjusting pads for hydraulic variants.
Well the bike in it's new fully hydraulic and 11sp guise has had it's first outing.

The results are better than anticipated. Lever action is solid and not mushy at all (much better than either iteration with the TRP Parabox), still has potential travel to the lever (i.e. does not need all of the travel due to the much bigger swept piston area), braking modulation is nothing short of sweet, and there is abundant power.

The front/rear balance is also good with the 180/140 combo, and just works a treat.

Currently running the std resin pads without fins.

So what has all that proven ?

That it can be done, and all the naysayers and doom predictors are wrong. It works sweet as, and the only thing I'd change from here is if there was a 160mm vented rotor (which sadly there isn't :( ). Oh, and have a set of finned pads here as well if needs be.

M3xiko

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! DONE - see p5

Postby M3xiko » Sat May 30, 2015 8:31 am

Hangdog98 wrote:Here's a better look at the commuter.
And some factory racing MTB World Cup AMP-Research F4-BLT forks with Öhlins coil-overs we prepared earlier.
2.2 lbs, 3.75" of stiction free travel and inch perfect tracking through anything.

Very nice set up. Where do you get the Öhlins shock and yellow springs? Whom can we contact to order? :)

cage

Postby cage » Sat May 30, 2015 8:35 pm

You do realize that post is about 3 1/2 years old...
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 pm

For all those with TRP Hy/Rd's...

Have taken a bit to get sorted on my setup.

Lever throw:
- There are TWO versions, if you have the old version - get them swapped to the newer version, which has changed the lever throw a lot. (there's a label on the outisde of the caliper)
- You can change the routing of the cable, so its closer to the pivot point (put the bolt & retaining thingy upside down) - that makes the biggest difference
- pads: nukeproof are thicker & good
- Tin can shim: get an old softdrink can & make a shim for behind the pads, works well