Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

il padrone

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! DONE - see p5

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Hangdog98 wrote: we will see an iPhone-esque leap into the world of electronical brakeosity. We may even see sensors attached to the riders anus so that when the going gets a bit scary and the sphincter puckers up, the brakes will apply.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:59 am

I can see potential applications in certain fileds, but not on bikes.

If the cycling world is having kaniptions (NFI how to spell it) putting disc brakes on a road bike, can you imagine the debates if and when this even gets to a concievable size ? :roll: :?: :roll: :roll:

Imagine if you get a cramp in your hand, or you grip the bars a bit too hard when you attack someone going up a climb .... :wink:

The estimated failure rate is just that, not proven, and what happens if the 1st failure occurs at the start of the count ....

Meh, I'll stick to my cable brakes that work ....

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 am

Two words: Frequency Jammer.
MichaelB wrote:Meh, I'll stick to my cable brakes that work ....
Amen, brother. :)

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:54 am

Aw fair go, it’s very early days and could only be a matter of weeks till the Doc scales it down to a size that we can all use, enjoy and tinker with at home if needed.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 pm

baabaa wrote:Aw fair go, it’s very early days and could only be a matter of weeks till the Doc scales it down to a size that we can all use, enjoy and tinker with at home if needed
Another classic solution for a problem that doesn't exist (on a bike anyway)

The other thing that I shake my head at is WTBH is he riding ... :?: :?: :?:

Damn ugly and stooooopid

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:Image

Damn ugly and stooooopid
Probably gives you some insight into his idea. Unusual, but not practical.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 pm

As we suspected would be the case with the major manufacturers eventually, the rumour is Shimano is getting lightweight disc ready for road/cx to be available in 2013. Cable brake only though. Nothing wrong with cable though IMO.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... 2013-32091

http://road.cc/content/news/46353-shima ... well-thats

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 am

And Cycling news (but which is a copy from Bike Radar)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/shi ... s-for-2013

Interesting thing with the hydro/Di2 article comment in the RoadCC article was the potential for ABS .... Now that would be something. Not really required I think, but something more useful than wireless.

It would be interesting to see what a lightweight cable op. caliper would weigh in comparison to the current BB7, but could you really get it much lighter ? Maybe 75 - 100g, but not much more ?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:52 am

MichaelB wrote:And Cycling news (but which is a copy from Bike Radar)

Interesting thing with the hydro/Di2 article comment in the RoadCC article was the potential for ABS .... Now that would be something. Not really required I think, but something more useful than wireless.

It would be interesting to see what a lightweight cable op. caliper would weigh in comparison to the current BB7, but could you really get it much lighter ? Maybe 75 - 100g, but not much more ?
as discussed previously in this thread, the weight of the disk brake assembly doesn't matter as much as it used to due to the weight of everything else coming down. ABS would be interesting that's for sure...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:10 am

MichaelB wrote:It would be interesting to see what a lightweight cable op. caliper would weigh in comparison to the current BB7, but could you really get it much lighter ? Maybe 75 - 100g, but not much more ?
I'd be more interested in a more aero caliper. It's not a big deal, but if I ever get a 'bent and actually go faster, an aero caliper may have benefit.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:56 am

Nobody wrote:
MichaelB wrote:It would be interesting to see what a lightweight cable op. caliper would weigh in comparison to the current BB7, but could you really get it much lighter ? Maybe 75 - 100g, but not much more ?
I'd be more interested in a more aero caliper. It's not a big deal, but if I ever get a 'bent and actually go faster, an aero caliper may have benefit.
Just make a lightweight aero cover like the shape of a TT helmet !!! Talk about styling ....

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Just came across this. And this.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Just came across this. And this.
Forget about the this and go for the that. Onone make well thought out bikes which are really nice to ride.
I saw that and did droll but do I need another bike......

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Crawf wrote:Just came across this. And this.
Quite interesting there !! Just need them to do a road version, and we'll all be happy. :mrgreen:

The tidal wave is starting ........

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:51 pm

baabaa wrote:Just came across this. And this.
Forget about the this and go for the that. Onone make well thought out bikes which are really nice to ride.
I saw that and did droll but do I need another bike......
It's very possible that that is the onone manu.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:13 pm

baabaa wrote:but do I need another bike......
Yes.

Duh!

:lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 pm

jasonc wrote:
MichaelB wrote:And Cycling news (but which is a copy from Bike Radar)

as discussed previously in this thread, the weight of the disk brake assembly doesn't matter as much as it used to due to the weight of everything else coming down. ABS would be interesting that's for sure...
Just a little bulky ... :roll:

http://link.ti.com/designstellaris2010/ ... stract.pdf

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 am

Finally got the new commuter bike done.

Winwood Muddy Disc Specific Carbon Forks, Avid BB7 Road Brakes, NSBikes Hub with Mavic Open Pro Rims.

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 am

Looks exactly like my Nashbar fork, but without canti studs.

Bet it's made by Evo, as mine clearly was.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:38 am

Speaking of Evo, it would be interesting to find out the C2A length of this "racing fork"

http://www.evo.com.tw/style/frame/templ ... &id=334534

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

MattyK wrote:Speaking of Evo, it would be interesting to find out the C2A length of this "racing fork"

http://www.evo.com.tw/style/frame/templ ... &id=334534
Tried to get some info from Evo previously, but didn't get anything, so gave up.

My Kona fork has an A2C height of about 375mm :D

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 pm

That was about the A647 for I referenced back on page 11 (quoted below). You can buy them from SJS Cycles in the UK, maybe thay can help with info? Max 28c tyre is the only data on their website, which is way less than the common cyclocross forks.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/evolution-a6 ... prod25964/
MattyK wrote:The Nashbar forks I got (cyclocross, C/A 398mm) were manufactured by EVO in Taiwan - at least that was the branding on the dropout spacer that they shipped with. They appear to be the ACC-A615N
They also look suspiciously similar to the Winwood forks, which are twice the price (Winwood website seems to have mostly gone AWOL...)

The "Road 700c" ARC-A647N has a disc mount option (only shown graphically in their NEW PRODUCTS 2011 catalogue .rar)
it doesn't give a A/C dimension, but it looks shorter than mine.
Weight for the 2011 D version says 700g, but the N version lists as 560g - possibly variance if the disc mount tabs are optioned?

Of course that's probably only useful if you want to buy 500 of them.
However the ACC-A750STN45 lists as a "new" part in their "road racing forks" category, and from the CAD image has a different appearance (straight blades for one). It is not hte same as the A647

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 pm

MattyK wrote:The Nashbar forks I got (cyclocross, C/A 398mm) were manufactured by EVO in Taiwan - at least that was the branding on the dropout spacer that they shipped with. They appear to be the ACC-A615N
They also look suspiciously similar to the Winwood forks, which are twice the price (Winwood website seems to have mostly gone AWOL...)
I read that the entire Winwood product lineup was being replace with "Whisky Bike Parts" . In fact, my bike has "Whisky Carbon Disc Specific Fork" listed on the specs, but the actual forks had not been produced at the time of the build, and there is obviously still stock of the Winwood forks available. I was told this in advance so it was no surprise, but the Whisky Carbon Fork is either matte or jet gloss black. No Carbon Fibre weave pattern, and just basic decals.
FYI Winwood and Whisky Parts have the same address, so I'd suggest it is just a rebranding exercise, and that is why the Winwood site has gone mostly AWOL.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 pm

I wrote that bit above 8 months ago...

I assume Whisky are sourcing from EVO too. The "No. 7 Disc Curved Blade 1-1/8" Disc" looks identical apart from the brake cable bracket.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 am

MattyK wrote:I wrote that bit above 8 months ago...

I assume Whisky are sourcing from EVO too. The "No. 7 Disc Curved Blade 1-1/8" Disc" looks identical apart from the brake cable bracket.
Winwood & Whisky are the same company (QBP). It does look like EVO manufactures all their forks, so they would probably pop up under various brands.