Options - Preping a frame - Brisbane

gudismonsta

Options - Preping a frame - Brisbane

Postby gudismonsta » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi All,
Could you please direct me to the correct thread/section if this topic exists.. i did search but didn't find anything.

I'm in Brisbane.. and have got 2 frames i was hoping to restore.. but they have a fair amount of surface rust.. so i looking for Info/places/prices on Sand-Balsting and/or acid-dipping (ideally in brissie).
Can anyone recommend a place and approx cost ?
How did they find the process ?
is there any prep i need to do before/after ?
and once back to metal, what are the general processes to re-paint. (powercoat / spray etc)
- i did buy some rust-eater and primer so i could do this the Manual-way, but IF "attractively-priced" blasting is much easier

Also.. Any advise on restoring Chrome/Steel 27"Wheels ? mine are all cracked/peeling....

Thanks in advance.. i've just rebuild a repco-traveller and had so much fun, im uping the ante :)

Uncle Grumpy

Re: Options - Preping a frame - Brisbane

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:16 pm

I'm not in Brisbane, so this is going to be about 42% helpful. According to some 'round these parts, that's gonna be about 42% more helpful than I normally am.

Try soda blasting, a lot more gentle than sand blasting. You can also get dudes to come to your house to do the blasting work. There is a few in Sydney that do it, so there should be some dude in the Brisvegas area that does likewise.

Maybe hit up a google search for soda blasting.

Or if you can track down an acid dipper that does car parts, they could throw both frames in the tank at the same time they're doing the 1934 Ford doors. Frames would need to be blasted out with high pressure water to get the acid out of the tubes. I still prefer soda blasting.

Any rust spots can be treated with Ranex Rustbuster, which is a favourite of mine, before getting painted, surface rust is not a big deal.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

gudismonsta

Postby gudismonsta » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks Grumpy, appreciate the input.

I phoned up a local blaster/painter mob.. look professional. - UniCoatings..
- $90 for Frame and Fork inc. Blast (well is some alkaline-dip which might be your soda-blasting) + powercoat to colour of choice. - sounded fair to me..

I'd still like to try myself..as i've already over-capitalised on my Repco Traveller - (new tyres/tubes/bar-tape/brake-cables) and its not finished hahaha..
I bought that Ranex product from Bunnings .. I havent tried it yet.. but might spray both frames with it and hope i dont end up with a pile of metal bits in a pool of rusty juice...!!

tomns

Postby tomns » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:35 pm

I have stripped a frame down myself and had it powder coated and the price difference was about $25 which to me is
not worth effort. I rubbed the frame back to bare metal and only used stripper on the lugs and bb area - even that was a big pain in the backside and that
paint stripper is pretty toxic stuff. I don't have the skills or gear to prime a bike neatly and if I can't do that I can't get a top coat right.

It all depends on what you are after - if you want a project then go for it, if you want a nice clean neat job then get it powder coated.

I have had bikes done at 3 powder coaters in Brisbane and there is 1 clear winner

Lewis & Sons Powder Coating
156 Riverside Pl, Morningside QLD 4170
(07) 3899 1277

One of the "Sons" is passionate about bikes, has a show room there with BMXs that he has done up and restored.
I would just take my frame there as it and get him to blast it and coat it - it cost me about $90 and the job is top shelf,
I really struggle to find any "orange peel" at all anywhere on the bike he has done - a lot people comment that it looks like I had it painted rather than coated.

Compared to the other two jobs it is just chalk and cheese - the other two are average, orange peel everywhere and parts of it are roughly finished.

I am going to take one of my others down to Lewis and have the other powder coating job stripped and refinished.

Hope that helps
Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:23 pm

gudismonsta wrote:I bought that Ranex product from Bunnings .. I havent tried it yet.. but might spray both frames with it and hope i dont end up with a pile of metal bits in a pool of rusty juice...!!
It's something that needs respect, but follow the instructions and you'll be right.

For inside of frames, there is Boeshield, or even good old fish oil. People go nuts over a spot of rust on the outside of a frame but forget that there's an exposed surface inside the tubing that's exposed to condensation etc. That's not saying you should panic or freak right out, just take some preventative insurance and squirt something appropriate inside the frame.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 pm

tomns wrote:I have had bikes done at 3 powder coaters in Brisbane and there is 1 clear winner

Lewis & Sons Powder Coating
156 Riverside Pl, Morningside QLD 4170
(07) 3899 1277

One of the "Sons" is passionate about bikes, has a show room there with BMXs that he has done up and restored.
Ahhh yes, the mighty Roberto, I plum forgot about those dudes. They have a big annual Vintage BMX BBQ as well. Haven't used them myself for 2 reasons, firstly I'm in Sydney and secondly, the only good vintage BMX is a chrome one. :wink: But I know guys who have had work done there and it's all top notch. I'll go as far as to say you'd be mad to use anyone else.

10 points to Tomns!

Grumps

gudismonsta

Postby gudismonsta » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks Tomns/Grumpy

I'll give Lewis &Sons a call.

q? - how do i remove the steerer cups ?
the main headset, bearings and fork are easy to pull out, but im left with 2 cups on the steerer tube that seem rather 'stuck'..
is there a simple technique for removal ?

thanks again.

tomns

Postby tomns » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:14 pm

There is a special tool for that

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bicycle-Headset- ... ccessories

But, for the first couple of frames I went down to LBS and they did for me - cost me nada but I do get a bit of stuff from them,

It is a quick and easy job if you have the right tool

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif