Egged tyre ?

stylo

Egged tyre ?

Postby stylo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Is this an egged tyre ?? Had egged basketballs but never an egged tyre lol. There is no buckle in the rear wheel.

Result is, I believe riding on 200 metres or so, downhill on heavilly pot-holed road in Lovedale in the Hunter Valley. Unfortunately, it could not have been avoided :(

Solutions ? New tyre ? Appreciate any suggestions. I have a spare 700 x 25 vittoria rubino pro lying around somewhere ... but this one is a 700x23. Prob more comfy with a 25mm up the rear ...

Sorry crap mobile phone camera.

Myddraal

Re: Egged tyre ?

Postby Myddraal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Have you tried deflating and reseating the tyre?

And as much as I dislike Apple, the Iphone 3GS does not have a 'crap mobile phone camera.'
http://vimeo.com/13081827

stylo

Postby stylo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Myddraal wrote:Have you tried deflating and reseating the tyre?

And as much as I dislike Apple, the Iphone 3GS does not have a 'crap mobile phone camera.'
http://vimeo.com/13081827
G'day, just deflated it and will try to reseat it - I have marked the 2 bulge spots with some liquid paper. Sheldon Brown's site has so much info !

Re camera - it's just the case of the bad workman blaming his tools

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:26 pm

I have had it happen a few times...time for a new tyre.

a quickr pickr post

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:16 pm

it looks like structural damage to the tyre (e.g. ply failure) - which means its death

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:41 pm

jules21 wrote:it looks like structural damage to the tyre (e.g. ply failure) - which means its death
My thoughts too. Your could try reseating it but I think the egg will stay.

stylo

Postby stylo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 am

I junked the egged tyre and on closer inspection, i could see why the bulges formed when i looked and felt around the inside of the tyre. some of the rubber fibres must have weakened and ripped when I went over the 'pot holed road'.

Changed it to my spare rubino pro all black 700 x 25 tyre .. and .. it looks crap !!! it will do for now, but i need to get another tyre with the red racing stripes around the tyre to match the front :D such a big difference between 23 vs 25 as well ... looks like a 4wd from behind !

So .... should I buy the original hutchinson equinox tyres again ? Had only done 600 kms on them and they had lots of meat left. Nothing else that I can compare with really. The reviews I've read have been pretty positive on these tyres ... I'll check out some tyre reviews but man it looks ugly with the red stripe tyre up front and an all black tyre up the rear .. :oops:

limetang

Postby limetang » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:06 pm

DONT DO IT!!! After riding Hitchinson equinox for about 300km from new with my bike i have to say they are a very average tyre!! Low TPI, not particularly light, decent amount of rolling resistance etc.

I threw on a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's and my bike just flew compared to the equinox, 1700kms later and still only 1 puncture (compared to 3 in 300Km).

BTW you want ugly??... try my old Giant way back, black Zaffiro 25c on the front, yellow Zaffiro Pro 23c on the back (blue frame) :oops:

stylo

Postby stylo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:40 am

Oh .. okay .. I won't look at the Hutchinson Equinox then .. NOW the important decision !! Red stripe or all black tyre ?!?!?! I quite like the OEM tyres with the racing stripe through it .... the all black tyre dosn't do it justice IMO.

Thinking a pair of Rubino Pro III black/red 700 x 23's :)

OR maybe I will be less of a poser and just ride the bike with the mis-matched tyres until they blow :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:34 pm

The red/black Rubs' look good outta the box Stylo but they start to look a bit grey after a few hundred kms.
No, I will not wash my tyres!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Re 25 vs 23, a wider tyre has lower rolling resistance for the same pressure.Personally I wouldn't have too much grief over this.

Washing the tyres? Coming from a MTB background, I routinely wash the tyres whenever I wash the bike (which is admittedly, not too often :oops: ). Makes a big difference to the bike's appearance.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

stylo

Postby stylo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Don't quite understand the physics of which has higher rolling resistance etc. but will accept that a 25 mm will have less rolling resistance than a 23 at the same pressure ... but like you said, won't matter too much to me. Wider will probably be better for where I ride anyways.

As for dirty tyres, I am a clean freak so I should manage to keep the red stripe (along with the rest of the bike) pretty clean !