Yet another Brooks thread

bosvit

Yet another Brooks thread

Postby bosvit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Sorry Sorry Sorry

Yet another Brooks thread. I tried searching but do you know how many threads come up when you type in Brooks!!!!!

Just bought a B17 and it has been mentioned on here in a number of threads to apply Proofide regularly when the seat is new. That's great but how often is regularly? Weekly, Daily? Every 100km?

If one of the Brooks regulars can give me a bit of advise that would be great, nearly as good as if the anti-brooks regulars can find it in their heart to not throw rocks at me... LOL :lol:

Nobody

Re: Yet another Brooks thread

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 pm

I"d start with every 200Km say then space it out to whenever it starts looking a bit dry. Maybe every few months and/or when it gets scratched.

It really is a "piece of string" question. Experience will be your guide.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 pm

I seem to recall Brooks recommended applying 3-4 times in the first 2-3 months, then applying 1-2 times per year after that, or after any serious wetting of the saddle.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:49 am

I guess the quote is "a little and often at the start".

Never put Proofide on when wet

I've got three Brooks saddles (don't ride anything else now) and my tin of Proofide will last me another 3 years I reckon. Already gone 2 years.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 pm

I haven't Proofided mine yet, and it seems to be breaking in nicely.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks Guys

The info it all makes sense. The info from Brooks was apply regularly through the break in period, no mention of timing etc.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

I have followed the advice given by 'Charles Wahl' in this old forum discussion http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 90881.html

and quote
"Brooks saddle care is a piece of cake, really. When new, apply a generous -- not heavy but enough to really soak in -- amount of Proofide to entire underside of saddle. I like to place saddle in sun for 30 minutes or so prior to application such that wax is really drawn into pores. Always apply Proofide with bare fingers, warmth of hand will help melt wax. The importance of this underside application is paramount, it will help with break-in but primarily will prevent any future mildew/mold issues from destroying your saddle. You should never need to apply another underside coating of Proofide to your saddle in its life. The topside will need a very light initial coating, allow 30 minutes to penetrate and dry, buff with soft terry loop towel, re-apply a 2nd very light coating, allow to dry overnight, buff with towel. After 2 weeks of usage, a 3rd very light coat of Proofide to seating surface should be applied, dry overnight, buff with towel. That's it for a full year. The excepetion is if soaked in downpour; towel dry to touch immediately after ride, allow to dry naturally indoors, never use a hair dryer or other means to expedite drying, once completely dried, a very light Proofide application will restore oils and soft texture to leather. An annual single light coating to seating surface, dry overnight and buff with towel should be only maintainence ever required of a Brooks saddle..."

Worked for me.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:I have followed the advice given by 'Charles Wahl' in this old forum discussion http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 90881.html

and quote
"Brooks saddle care is a piece of cake, really. When new, apply a generous -- not heavy but enough to really soak in -- amount of Proofide to entire underside of saddle. I like to place saddle in sun for 30 minutes or so prior to application such that wax is really drawn into pores. Always apply Proofide with bare fingers, warmth of hand will help melt wax. The importance of this underside application is paramount, it will help with break-in but primarily will prevent any future mildew/mold issues from destroying your saddle. You should never need to apply another underside coating of Proofide to your saddle in its life. The topside will need a very light initial coating, allow 30 minutes to penetrate and dry, buff with soft terry loop towel, re-apply a 2nd very light coating, allow to dry overnight, buff with towel. After 2 weeks of usage, a 3rd very light coat of Proofide to seating surface should be applied, dry overnight, buff with towel. That's it for a full year. The excepetion is if soaked in downpour; towel dry to touch immediately after ride, allow to dry naturally indoors, never use a hair dryer or other means to expedite drying, once completely dried, a very light Proofide application will restore oils and soft texture to leather. An annual single light coating to seating surface, dry overnight and buff with towel should be only maintainence ever required of a Brooks saddle..."

Worked for me.

+1. Same for neatsfoot oil, when that was used kept a Brooks Professional of mine in tip top condition for well over a decade (until it was stolen).