Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

ZepinAtor

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 pm

master6 wrote:Zep, have you seen the old style tyre sweeper from the 60's; a 'wire' bracket that reached across the brakes, suspending a fine chain, something like bracelet chain
Yep the chain type were about, but they were the flash ones. I had a different version which had little rubber hoses & a curved piece of chrome/ stainless wire that sat on the tire. They worked well & left a total mess around the braking area as they were constantly rubbing all the grit off including dust & tyre muck.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Nobody wrote: I can now understand why the tater is so cool!
Bored over there on your Tater thread?[/quote]

He who is bored of the tater thread is bored of life. :mrgreen:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:27 pm

A very good 96km on a very good pair of gatorskins at Richmond (Tas) this morning.
(As I have come to expect)

/\ |_ |

Postby /\ |_ | » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:59 pm

I love my iPhone will never buy an android phone.........whoops wrong forum.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 pm

/\ |_ | wrote:I love my iPhone will never buy an android phone.........whoops wrong forum.
Edit?

Morts

Postby Morts » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:55 pm

I also use Gators - and they are great overall,but a true story: The last time I bought a new front I had put exactly 12kms on it, heard a hiss and stopped, massive glass chunk through the tyre and it was a write off. The irony was that it was clear line of sight about 100m from the Continental offices in Bundoora in Melbourne.... almost on their doorstep. Not happy!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 am

I've found the Gatorskins provide less puncture protection and get slashed more often and more deeply than the Vittoria Rubino Pros. This is based on tens of thousands of kilometres using both brands across five bikes.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

biker jk wrote:I've found the Gatorskins provide less puncture protection and get slashed more often and more deeply than the Vittoria Rubino Pros. This is based on tens of thousands of kilometres using both brands across five bikes.
Get outa here; go join Drubie. I have just come in from another pleasurable ride on the Gatorskins.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm

i love my gators
when do we stop for coffee???

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm

master6 wrote:
biker jk wrote:I've found the Gatorskins provide less puncture protection and get slashed more often and more deeply than the Vittoria Rubino Pros. This is based on tens of thousands of kilometres using both brands across five bikes.
Get outa here; go join Drubie. I have just come in from another pleasurable ride on the Gatorskins.
How much do you weigh? I've noticed that light riders have far less punctures than heavy riders, not to mention getting exceptional tyre life.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 pm

The last 5000km I have gotten 4 punctures on my gatorskins, the rear tyre is slightly squared off but still plenty of life, I weigh 68kg. So average is 1 puncture per 1250km - not great but not too bad. In fact the 4th one was this morning, something cut the sidewall - I only realised when I started feeling something blowing on my left calf.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Most of the Gatorskin punctures are explosive. So the glass or wire slices through the tread like a hot knife through butter. My wife had this experience a few weeks ago with the Gators. In contrast, all the Vittoria Rubino Pro punctures have been slow deflations. Indeed, in one case the tyre managed to stop the glass from all but just penetrating the tube and it went flat over 24-hours. I've also had the threads on the Gatorskins sidewalls coming apart.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:52 pm

twizzle wrote:
master6 wrote:
How much do you weigh? I've noticed that light riders have far less punctures than heavy riders, not to mention getting exceptional tyre life.
Weight varies each year, typically 81kg after Christmas period, got down to 75.3kg for Grafton in October; now 78 due to slackening off the distances. It is 9 weeks since I had a puncture.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Drubie will hate me for saying this, but my Gatorskins still don't have a single cut in them and look brand new.

This is frustrating me no end - I'm dying to replace them with GP4000S but have no excuse.

PS - I have replaced the front tyre of Kitty with Shimano RS20 and GP4000S so I have already done the replacement. But the old front wheel with the Gatorskin is looking at me reproachfully in the garage every day and I can't stand the guilt!
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Rode through a smashed patch of safety glass the other day! Came up on me too fast! No puncture though... I was amazed. Was like 5mtrs of the stuff everywhere! I did stop and make sure everything was scraped out, but to me that's proof they work! +2 to the Gatorskins!

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Christine Tham wrote:Drubie will hate me for saying this, but my Gatorskins still don't have a single cut in them and look brand new.

This is frustrating me no end - I'm dying to replace them with GP4000S but have no excuse.

PS - I have replaced the front tyre of Kitty with Shimano RS20 and GP4000S so I have already done the replacement. But the old front wheel with the Gatorskin is looking at me reproachfully in the garage every day and I can't stand the guilt!
Stand perfectly still Christine, breath silently, and listen..............those gatorskins are like a faithfull old dog.........they will talk too you, and the better you treat them, the more love they will show to you. Always remember to wash them before kissing them.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Christine Tham wrote:Drubie will hate me for saying this, but my Gatorskins still don't have a single cut in them and look brand new.
Yeah but this thread is about tyres that have been fitted to a bike - not just hung on the wall :mrgreen:

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Comedian wrote:
Yeah but this thread is about tyres that have been fitted to a bike - not just hung on the wall :mrgreen:
+1 - send 'em to me and my roads will tear them to pieces in a matter of minutes. Which is another good point for the tater - they make you truly appreciate the Rubino Pro.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Comedian wrote:Yeah but this thread is about tyres that have been fitted to a bike - not just hung on the wall :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the old front tyre did about 3500 km before being "hung on the wall" :D

And no, drubie, you canna have them! With your kind of track record, the tyre will deflate if I even think about sending them to you!
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Christine Tham wrote: And no, drubie, you canna have them! With your kind of track record, the tyre will deflate if I even think about sending them to you!
Y'see, this is why I like the forum - so much consideration for other members welfare :D

A have a warm, fuzzy feeling now.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 pm

drubie wrote:
Hate to say this ... but ... are you sure that's not from your tyres deflating around you? :P

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
drubie wrote:
Hate to say this ... but ... are you sure that's not from your tyres deflating around you? :P
Beer buzz - easy to confuse with emotion.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 am

I found the hard way a sixpack worth of glass on the Footscray Rd path near Coode Island tonight. :roll:

I'm sure I heard them snigger and whisper "is that all you got?" as I swept them :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 pm

drubie wrote:...because master6 is somehow convinced that there are two equal sides to every story (must be the Murdoch version of "fair and balanced") I'm just going to leave this bit of positivity here:

The good thing about my Gatorskins was that they made me look at excellent tyres from other manufacturers. That is all.
Looks like Drubie is starting to see the light. In addition to the above 'Tator positive" compliment, he found it in his heart to comment:-

"I know this belongs in the other tater thread, but one good thing about the patented "just a little too small" bead on a taterskin is you quickly find out whether your tyre levers are any good or not. Snap!"

In case you missed it
"I know this belongs in the other tater thread, but one good thing about the patented "just a little too small" bead on a taterskin is you quickly find out whether your tyre levers are any good or not. Snap!"

Perhaps he will mellow in the new year and come over here with his compliments.

Best wishes for 2011 Drubie.
:) :) :)

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 am

Happy new year, all you tater-lovers! Oh.. and the crickets, too. ;)

:mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy