Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby RobertFrith » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:27 pm

4612 km on Gatorskins in 2010, variety of surfaces, no punctures
Image
User avatar
RobertFrith
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Perth

by BNA » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

BNA
 

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

I fitted two new Gatorskins in the second week of October 2010, and have not had one puncture since that time.

Very happy with my Gators :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm

master6 wrote:I fitted two new Gatorskins in the second week of October 2010, and have not had one puncture since that time.

Very happy with my Gators :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YEah but you can't count wind trainer time. They have to be used outside for it to count. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:38 pm

Comedian wrote:YEah but you can't count wind trainer time. They have to be used outside for it to count. :)



Ha ha...

Don't poke the possum with that stick, my man. :wink:
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Comedian wrote:
master6 wrote:I fitted two new Gatorskins in the second week of October 2010, and have not had one puncture since that time.

Very happy with my Gators :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YEah but you can't count wind trainer time. They have to be used outside for it to count. :)

Wind trainers are for those with excess wind.
I have never used one.
Gatorskins prefer bitumen.
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:40 am

Went to take my rear Gatorskin off this morning (to try out some Rubino Pros :roll: ) only to find a sizable bit of fine steel wire sticking out of the tread. No puncture though. Again the Gators reward my faith, even if I'm in an experimental mood with some Vittorias.
User avatar
Jean
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Canberra

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm

How much thread should I let be exposed on the rear before sending it for a fitting burial? I'm running a tyre liner
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14926
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Mustang » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 pm

I havn't used Gatorskins yet, but have two slashed tyres from glass since Jan, now on my 3rd rear.
Image
User avatar
Mustang
 
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Little Mountain Q

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Jean wrote:Went to take my rear Gatorskin off this morning (to try out some Rubino Pros :roll: ) only to find a sizable bit of fine steel wire sticking out of the tread. No puncture though. Again the Gators reward my faith, even if I'm in an experimental mood with some Vittorias.
Good idea. I think I'll order a Rubino Pro for the front. The rear Gator is looking pretty flat and is close to finished. Still not a single puncture.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6681
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm

ajmit3 said in that other thread

"Got 3000km + out of my gators - no flats = no complaints. Awesome tire"
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby norbs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm

I put my first set on today.

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
User avatar
norbs
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Shoalhaven. NSW

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby winstonw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Coincidentally, I bought ultra gators from Evans a few months ago ($60 for a pair) and was waiting for a flat before putting them on.
That happened in the wet on Sat. Was on a roundabout and felt the front tyre slip sideways. I thought gee it is more slippery wet than I thought...must take it easier on the corners. Then about 5 secs later I felt the tyre was deflating slowly.

Reminded me how dangerous punctures are. If I'd be moving faster on a bend with that slow puncture, the tyre could very well have rolled off the rim.

So now I have the gators on. I was amazed how much I had to concentrate to ride with no hands. Presume the previous tyres had flattened enough to make no hands easier.
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Nobody » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm

winstonw wrote:So now I have the gators on. I was amazed how much I had to concentrate to ride with no hands. Presume the previous tyres had flattened enough to make no hands easier.
Are the Gators a different size to the old tyres? Specifically, are they bigger?
Nobody
 
Posts: 6681
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby winstonw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Nobody wrote:
winstonw wrote:So now I have the gators on. I was amazed how much I had to concentrate to ride with no hands. Presume the previous tyres had flattened enough to make no hands easier.
Are the Gators a different size to the old tyres? Specifically, are they bigger?


Both 700 x 23
the old ones. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... e-ec017758
the new ones. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/con ... e-ec001745
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:32 pm

I'd like to take this opportunity to appease Master6 by reporting that my rainy in both directions commute today was in accordance with tradition :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26209
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Master 6 is orgasmic. Wish it was more frequent :D :D :D :D :D
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Wut? Being appeased or orgasmic?

I can help with the first option... :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26209
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:16 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Careful Mulgar, go any further and we will have to get married :D :D :D :D :D :D :D


:D :D :D :D Cant do that because it would mean contemplating bigamy :D :D :D :D I am currently negotiating marriage to drubie. :D :D :D :D :D :D
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby GaryFM » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

My guess is that many people sit on the fence not wanting to upset Drubie and the 'worse ever' disciples but its time stand up and be counted:

1000k on the rear Gatorskin without an issues and a lot of that time in a breakdown lane where glass and debris is all too common.

I guess I'm a believer.....A very good tyre.

Gary
My companion on the lonely roads, Tracy: 2008 Giant TCR Alliance, T-Mobile

Image
User avatar
GaryFM
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Fred Nurk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Its the most appropriate place for it, but I've clocked up 5000kms on my Gatorskin on my front wheel. Still looks like plenty of tread left.
Image
Fred Nurk
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Cairns, Queensland

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Fred Nurk wrote:Its the most appropriate place for it, but I've clocked up 5000kms on my Gatorskin on my front wheel. Still looks like plenty of tread left.


Welcome to the Brotherhood Fred.
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Fred Nurk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 pm

master6 wrote:
Fred Nurk wrote:Its the most appropriate place for it, but I've clocked up 5000kms on my Gatorskin on my front wheel. Still looks like plenty of tread left.


Welcome to the Brotherhood Fred.


I've discovered that its not such a good idea to use one as a rear tyre, last one I managed to stretch to 3000kms with a big gash in the centre of the tread, one before that was barely 500kms with a large sidewall cut. Front tyres, however...
Image
Fred Nurk
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Cairns, Queensland

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 am

Fred Nurk wrote:
I've discovered that its not such a good idea to use one as a rear tyre, last one I managed to stretch to 3000kms with a big gash in the centre of the tread, one before that was barely 500kms with a large sidewall cut. Front tyres, however...


I was about to post your badge Fred; dont worry, put one of the well trained gators from the front onto the back, and ,man, you will be a "brother".
master6
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Well I have been playing chicken with how far I can wear down the rear gatorskin, I'm using tyre liners so I was quite happy to go right thru the tread. Now the tyre is deforming, which is not a negative about the tyre, but a symton of old age. I'll move the front gatorskin to the rear and put one of my race tyres that are knocking around on the front.
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14926
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Gatorskin....A VERY GOOD TYRE

Postby Comedian » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey I've done 13k on mine now and no punctures! :mrgreen:
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4413
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit