Need help with various queries for project *IMG HEAVY*

elStado

Re: Need help with various queries for project *IMG HEAVY*

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Managed to sort the chain out, I almost totally stuffed it up so now I am one chain link shorter than I would like it to be, meaning that on the fixed gear it is in a further out of the dropout than I would prefer. It still works ok though so it will do for now. I ended up damaging some of the links trying to get the pin back in so it's a choice of making do with the shorter chain or buying a new one.. I'll make do- for now! Yes I have made sure the bolts are on very tight, I dont want the rear wheel randomly falling off.

I am going to try and get the brakes installed and set up this arvo, though I think I'll need new pads so it might require a trip down to the LBS, and hopefully get the grip tape on so I can go for a short ride around the block to check for loose fittings and what needs to be tightened/adjusted. I've taken it for a maiden ride up and down my driveway (long strata type drive) just on the fixed cog and no brakes and it was an experience not having a freewheel. Was pretty fun though.

The purple tape is just that low-tac painters tape, I put it on to avoid any damage to the tube form the chain or the handlebars. I'll pull it off once I am done.

I also think I will end up painting the seatpost, it looks OK but the marks and scuffs on it makes it look out of place. I have some satin black spray paint so I might sand it down and give it a few coats of that to make it look nicer. Not a major priority for now though.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Are you sure your rear axle is long enough? Seems a bit short in the photos.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:00 pm

darkhorse75 wrote:Are you sure your rear axle is long enough? Seems a bit short in the photos.
Yeah its just enough apparently, George had a look at it and said it should be ok providing I tighten the axle bolts tight and proper. I adjusted the alignment and tightened it up a bit more since that last pic.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:03 pm

I would really recommend some sort of pedal retention as well.. do you have plans for some clips or straps/clipless pedals? It's eased a bit by the fact you're going to be running brakes from the outset - but the first time you take a bit of a decline and the speed & cadence gets away from you - you don't want your feet coming off too easily. It's kinda freaky at first - but you learn to ride it out soon enough, and then the speed modulation with your legs comes next...

I can't quite make it out from the photos - but is the seatpost one of those older steel types with the seperate seat clamp that slips over over the end of the post? I was going to suggest if it was alloy, you could just very lightly sand the paint off and give it a bit of a polish. That way it'd match the stem and rims a bit more.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:38 am

HappyHumber wrote:I would really recommend some sort of pedal retention as well.. do you have plans for some clips or straps/clipless pedals? It's eased a bit by the fact you're going to be running brakes from the outset - but the first time you take a bit of a decline and the speed & cadence gets away from you - you don't want your feet coming off too easily. It's kinda freaky at first - but you learn to ride it out soon enough, and then the speed modulation with your legs comes next...
I do intend on eventually getting cleated pedals and shoes, have been wanting to get some for a while now actually for various reasons not just this bike.

I was thinking of getting the older pedals with the straps as that seems to be the aesthetic style- however when I had a chat to George he suggested that they would probably not be a good idea as I don't have experience with them and could cause an accident/mishap. His solution was to ride with regular shoes and have both brakes installed and working.

The pedals are those large 80's style ones with a big platform, so they aren't too bad. I guess I'll just have to make sure my brakes are working properly and hope for the best once I start tackling descents.
I can't quite make it out from the photos - but is the seatpost one of those older steel types with the seperate seat clamp that slips over over the end of the post? I was going to suggest if it was alloy, you could just very lightly sand the paint off and give it a bit of a polish. That way it'd match the stem and rims a bit more.
Yes it is, steel and heavy. I'd like an alloy post as it would look much better with the bike and be lighter too. However it will have to do for now. Build budget was $200 and I am up to $300 so-far, excluding tools.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:57 am

Hey that's come up real nice elStado! Congrats on the result, and it looks like you've learned a thing or two along the way.
elStado wrote:Build budget was $200 and I am up to $300 so-far, excluding tools.
Just quietly, there's no way you'd have done it for under $200. For the result you got and skills you've learned, who cares?

Enjoy it! 8)

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:42 pm

elStado wrote:I was thinking of getting the older pedals with the straps as that seems to be the aesthetic style- however when I had a chat to George he suggested that they would probably not be a good idea as I don't have experience with them and could cause an accident/mishap. His solution was to ride with regular shoes and have both brakes installed and working.
Yep, I'd agree with George there, and I noticed after my last post your Orbea is still just platforms, so learning fixed and learning to clip or slip in/out at the same time might be a bit much. But well adjusted F+R rear brakes should do you right on those descents... you'll be able to build up confidence as your modulate your speed on familiar down hills.

BTW.. the blue looks really good in the pictures. Hope you're happy with it in the flesh.
--

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 pm

rkelsen wrote:Hey that's come up real nice elStado! Congrats on the result, and it looks like you've learned a thing or two along the way.

Just quietly, there's no way you'd have done it for under $200. For the result you got and skills you've learned, who cares?

Enjoy it! 8)
Yeah I soon realised that it would be more than $200 once I got pricing for the rear wheel and the fixed/ss cogs.

Running total is around $300 but I don't need anything else, so considering I got the bike for free and it is in such good condition now after all this work, it's not a bad deal at all.

And yes, I have learnt sh!tloads about bikes and how they work. Even looking back at my previous posts and the questions I was asking I now find it hard to believe that I didn't know how to do those things or how the tools worked. If I were to strip down and re-build this bike again (including overhauling the BB and headset) I could do it within a day, where as previously it would have taken me weeks to figure it all out.

I like to think of myself as a handy person, and I learn best from hands on experience and seeing how things work to understand them better, so this has been a great experience.. and I end up with a nice reconditioned bike as well!
HappyHumber wrote:Yep, I'd agree with George there, and I noticed after my last post your Orbea is still just platforms, so learning fixed and learning to clip or slip in/out at the same time might be a bit much. But well adjusted F+R rear brakes should do you right on those descents... you'll be able to build up confidence as your modulate your speed on familiar down hills.

BTW.. the blue looks really good in the pictures. Hope you're happy with it in the flesh.
Yep that's it. I'll work on riding a fixed road bike (remember I am used to a FB roady with extremely relaxed geometry and wide 35mm tires), so it all feels very new and twitchy with these 23mm tires at 120psi and dropped handlebars. I am really liking the new challenge and style of rising though. Bike is nearly ready for the road, spent most of this morning re-tightening and aligning the rear wheel, cogs, headset (had a wobble in it form being slightly loose) etc. Also in the process of getting hte rear brakes on after lunch and then I'll take it for a 10 minute ride around the block to run it in. Will be riding the fixed gear as I am really liking it.

Yes the blue actually looks better than the pictures, for some reason my digital camera makes it look lighter than it is, and my smartphone makes it look darker than it is. It's a nice finish and looks the part with the tires. Not sure if the grip tape (also blue) will be too much, but I've bought it so I'll give it a go and see how it looks. Worst case scenario I get some black tape next time I am at my LBS or do a wiggle order.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice, I appreciate it a lot. It's never easy being a newbie, but with a bit of help it makes it a bit easier.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:58 pm

looking good mate.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 pm

You'll get this one on the road for Chrissie... and be dreaming of your next project by New Years... you wait ;)
--

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:53 pm

HappyHumber wrote:You'll get this one on the road for Chrissie... and be dreaming of your next project by New Years... you wait ;)
Apart from the bar tape (waiting to decide the best placement of the brake leavers) the bike is pretty much good to go. I'll have to further adjust the stem height, bar angle and seat height+angle to get it more comfortable, but that's a job for after a few rides.

I'm glad I got it mostly sorted as I'm heading off up north tomorrow morning. Should be able to go a ride tonight when it cools down a bit.

I don't have any plans for another build, but now I am more confident and competant, plus I have most tools needed, another build in the future would be a very achievable task. Actually thinking about it I might build a SS cruiser for the gf so she can come for rides with me. I remember George had a few old frames with potential.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:31 pm

looks really nice, congrats!
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:05 pm

jet-ski wrote:looks really nice, congrats!
Thanks mate. The off looking front wheel is a bummer, but since it was a budget build I couldn't justify spending the extra cash just for a newer/shinier looking wheel haha. I'm on holidays now and I'm wishing I brought it with me. Driving a car sucks. :D

At least I have something to look forward to eh.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:36 pm

get it dirty and both the wheels will look the same anyway :) i know all about missing bikes when you go away somewhere... I plan on taking my little folder everywhere I go now. ;)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah I plan on racking up many hundred kms on it. Should even out soon enough :)

KiteJon

Postby KiteJon » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Hey elStado, awesome thread, thanks. You have just answered all the questions i had. I'm off to find some plastic tubing now to remove the last pieces from the frame for the respray.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Been back for about 5 days and still haven't taken it for a proper ride. Been so busy and the weather has been lousy, it keeps giving me sad looks every time I go to the shed and take my Orbea out. Still need to adjust the brakes and apply the bar tape, might make it a job for next week as I am away or working for the next few days.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun May 08, 2011 10:21 pm

I like the colour, maybe we can start a Smurf bike club?

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 pm

lunar_c wrote:I like the colour, maybe we can start a Smurf bike club?
Haha yeah for sure. Not sure how many members we'll have though. At least it gets seen while on the road.

mark field

Postby mark field » Mon May 09, 2011 12:33 am

++1 to nicobecs sugestions especially the pvc pipe trick. when removing any press fit part that requires significant effort the rule of thumb is surface area, squareness,even pressure, and effort without shock, and patience. if you can remember these principles you cant go wrong, this applies to anything.

surface area:
the idea is that you don't want any distortion or, to damage the part being removed ,or the part's housing- effort distributed evenly on the load will minimise the distortion which is very important as effort placed on one side (such as a screwdriver) can throw the press fitted part out of square and grab on one side, further damaging the shaft, spline,or housing that the part is being removed from. worst case scenario is both part and housing become damaged.usually you will find that the part is made of a more robust material than the housing as it is the part that does all the work, not the housing in which case you are talking about a mild steel tube which is very easy to be subject to deformation usually by ending up ' out of round '

squareness:
unless you are talking about tapered fittings squareness ensures that the part is removed without grabbing, flaring (expanding) and or possibly scoring the shaft/spline/housing making new press fitment very difficult and can result in ill fitment where repairs to the machined surface can make (in the case of bearing fitment) chattering at high speed which could have catastrophic failure of the bearing through vibration, but that depends on the quality of bearing etc.

even pressure:
basically it is to avoid all of the above.

effort without shock:
this is getting down to nano size science. Panel beaters use a technique called 'splashing' which can manipulate stretched metal back into its original shape, sort of. it is a principle where the metal molecules are re-aligned and shocked back to where they were due to the metals 'memory' , it involves lots of tapping with a panel beaters hammer and dolly if i can remember back to when i studied welding about 18 years ago!!!!! so don't quote me on this, anyway i think to a lesser degree, shock placed on forged parts can result in micro fractures that will weaken the part/housing and if its a bearing cup- the chattering thing can happen and when the little individual bearing balls run over the crack they ever so slightly open up the crack and so on until your cups and bearings feel like your trying to grind up pebbles in a pestle and mortar!!

patience:
think of the patience you have had reading another of my long winded extreme answers-that's what you need to avoid damaging and ruining whatever it is you are doing.

ive often used a steering wheel puller to press fit the bearing cups- threaded rod, nuts, washers or holes drilled through thick plate sheet metal and you cant go wrong, just make sure your threaded rod or bolt is central inside the tube, and not to one side. once again +1 to nicobecs for his suggestions. im a bit rusty with some of my terminology when explaining things Ive learnt in days of old, so please don't take what Ive said as gospel but rather food for thought.

and by the way- your bike is very impressive :P
steel is the real deal.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon May 09, 2011 12:56 am

Yeah I managed to get the headset races out/in without too much difficulty. Pvc pipe to gently tap them out onto a soft blanket using a rubber mallet. Chock of wood and a rubber mallet to get them back in. Always making sure everything is lined up and square, and always using gentle but firm application of the mallet. Worked a treat. Bike is fantastic, I ride it almost every day with only a few small issues I've had to remedy.

mark field

Postby mark field » Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 am

elStado wrote:Yeah I managed to get the headset races out/in without too much difficulty. Pvc pipe to gently tap them out onto a soft blanket using a rubber mallet. Chock of wood and a rubber mallet to get them back in. Always making sure everything is lined up and square, and always using gentle but firm application of the mallet. Worked a treat. Bike is fantastic, I ride it almost every day with only a few small issues I've had to remedy.
every time you ride- its the gift that keeps on giving, my hat is off to you sir for a job well done. :wink:
steel is the real deal.