Mechanical advise/education for road bikes

Livetoride

Mechanical advise/education for road bikes

Postby Livetoride » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this. I dont know much about the technicalities of road bikes, as in how to tear it apart and put it together again and more importantly how to fix things excluding the obvious like punctures, wheels chain etc.

My question is, does anyone know of a shop in Melbourne that runs courses on this, have asked at TFM and Fitzroy cycles but they don't...

Anyone have any ideas or know of any places...

Thanks.
Happy Days

Quinns Rocks Roadie

Re: Mechanical advise/education for road bikes

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Anything mechanical is self evident.
Go to http://www.sheldonbrown.com/, find some bicycle books online, get the appropriate tools and go for it.
Bikes are not that complicated and you don't need someone to hold your hand.
Plenty of rsources here - http://www.downeu.com/b/bicycle+times.html

Eric.
Newer does not automatically mean betterer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi

Sorry can't help with the courses in Melbourne and since things mechanical are not self-evident to me I make quite a bit of use of BicycleTutor and Park Tool's websitealong with their repair manual and Zinn's repair manual. I have the mountain bike version but there is a road one as well. I find this along with the Park Tool one covers most bases.

Have fun playing with your bikes.

Regards
Andrew

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:24 am

CERESrun a maintenance sessions and provide tools, $10 for a years membership. There are also free maintenance on the north side of Carlton gardens on the weekend.

My advice is that if you don't want to look like the odd one out then don't turn up to either in full racing kit! :lol:

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:12 pm

human909 wrote:CERESrun a maintenance sessions and provide tools, $10 for a years membership. There are also free maintenance on the north side of Carlton gardens on the weekend.

My advice is that if you don't want to look like the odd one out then don't turn up to either in full racing kit! :lol:
Thanks mate, fair play to ya
Happy Days

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:52 pm

mechanical aptitude comes with experience. it won't come from listening to a tutor alone. i love to fix stuff, bikes, cars.. you get better at it. there's no magic solution, it's just practice. as you will drop, bend and round stuff off,it's better if you don't start learning on your dura-ace equipped s-works either.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:23 am

Livetoride wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this. I dont know much about the technicalities of road bikes, as in how to tear it apart and put it together again and more importantly how to fix things excluding the obvious like punctures, wheels chain etc.

My question is, does anyone know of a shop in Melbourne that runs courses on this, have asked at TFM and Fitzroy cycles but they don't...

Thanks.
My LBS ran their own courses, and it was the best thing I ever did. I actually learned a foolproof way to change the tyres on my bike, which was proving a frustrating process due to the wire beaded tyres I had. Apparently it is all about technique, of which I had none!
Anyway, at the LBS course they showed basic stuff like tuning the brake system (V-Brake, Caliper Brake or Disc Brake, depending on what bike you had), tuning the shifting system, then they went though some basic maintenance like chain cleaning/lubrication.
The course did not go into super detail on the complicated things, but it did give me confidence to start doing a lot of the maintenance myself. After I did this for a while, I was given an old steel bike frame that needed some TLC. I decided to fix it up, and doing the build of this bike taught me more than any maintenance course ever could.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

bianchi

Postby bianchi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:39 am

Livetoride wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this. I dont know much about the technicalities of road bikes, as in how to tear it apart and put it together again and more importantly how to fix things excluding the obvious like punctures, wheels chain etc.

Thanks.
what about bike force in melbourne ?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:52 am

Apart from the above advice, you can consider joining a club/BUG and meet a few old hands. Practical learning is far better on this matter.

Fortunately modern bike components all fits together easily, few banging required. I remember my first attempt of "fixing" bikes in the early 80s and was stopped by those stupid cotter pins. Hated them. Other than that, you should get the right tools for the jobs, depending on which part of the bike you want to work on.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks guys fair play. Perhaps the wifes old roadie (not in use) will make for a good test pig :evil:
Happy Days