Hope Quick Releases Coming Loose.

brendeng

Hope Quick Releases Coming Loose.

Postby brendeng » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi Folks ....

I recently started using a set of Hope Quick Releases. The move was purely a Bling Factor thing, was previously using a set of Carbon Handle Controltech Quick Releases that I never had any problem with, but the Hope ones seem to come loose ... the rear the main culprit, 40 or 50km into a ride you can start to hear a bit of a rattle from the dropouts. Any one else had this issue with a Hope Quick Release ??

I had a good look over them today, they are super clean, no junk in the cams, but the Springs supplied by Hope are made from a really light, small diameter wire compared with any other quick release I have used. Could this be the source of the issue ??

Any opinions from out there would be great.

Brenden
Fondriest TF2, Dura-Ace, Deda Cockpit, TWE 50 Carbon Clincher wheelset, Gore Cables, Elite Cages, Selle Italia SLR Team
Look 695 SR, Dura-Ace Di2, FSA Carbon Bars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, Elite Cages, Prologo Nago Evo

Ratts

Re: Hope Quick Releases Coming Loose.

Postby Ratts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Not to sure about the Hopes. The springs don't have any thing to do with the clamping, but to centre the wheel in the skew. Once the skew is tightened the spring is coiled up into a flat pack inside the recessed area of the nut and clamp washer. Only the outer face is in contact with the frame or fork. Check that the leaver is going past the 90 degree mark, at the point that it starts to loosen again. If the cam does not go over the centre, the vibrations will make the cam move in the path of least resistance.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Looks like this?

+1 that the springs have zero to do with it.

These exposed cams are notorious as poor grippers.They have a larger radius cam than enclosed steel-faced QRs = lower leverage, and they usually have an alloy face with no serrations. Their open design also exposes the cam to more dirt and grit, leading to greater friction when closing. All of this means they demand more lubrication, a rigorous attention to correct closure, and even then they will likely be prone to loosening. Those Hope ones would also be a pain to close with that silly knobby end :roll:

If it matters, use the good old enclosed QRs :idea: . Not so bling but a good deal cheaper.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:06 pm

+1 il papa.

My experience is once they start slipping, they'll never grip again. The serrations wear off and the (minimal) clamping force they were providing in the first place just dissipates. I've binned one for exactly the same reason - slipped and slipped and wore smooth and became basically useless.

I would however check that the frame is offering a flat surface to grip on - no protruding screws on the dropout for example.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.