New chain and cassette after 1 year?

vinvin

New chain and cassette after 1 year?

Postby vinvin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi guys,
My bike went in for service today (was due for it as hadn't been properly serviced since about Sept) and the bike shop (I don't want to name it but it's one that generally gets the thumbs up from Canberra cyclists) wants to replace the chain ($59) and cassette ($120) because they are worn and rubbing. I'm willing to trust them, but I'm just a bit surprised about it because I've never worn either one out before. I've been riding regularly on this bike for 12 months (bought new) but only about 80-90km or 2-3 rides per week.
Any thoughts? I have to decide ASAP because I have events coming up this weekend and next week!
:(

vinvin

Re: New chain and cassette after 1 year?

Postby vinvin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Really rough estimate of use would be about 3500-4000km?

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

More info on the quality of the components?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:39 pm

If it's <removed by moderator, see note>, they tried to pull the same on me after I'd just paid them to strip and re-assemble the components. Took the bike home and put a 12" metal ruler on it and it was like brand new. I'd measure it if I was you

Mod says - I know there's more than one bike shop on the street mentioned, but fairly obvious from the context which shop is referred to, to those in the know. Let's avoid naming-and-shaming, even if masked.
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm afraid I can't name the chain or cassette, but it's a $2500-$3000 carbon bike with mostly 105 componentry/front set/brifters and ultegra on the rear derailleur.

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:44 pm

12 inch what? measure what? :shock:

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 pm

vinvin wrote:I'm afraid I can't name the chain or cassette, but it's a $2500-$3000 carbon bike with mostly 105 componentry/front set/brifters and ultegra on the rear derailleur.
It would be Shimano 105 chain and cassette in all likelyhood.

12 inch (30 cm) ruler, measure the chain pins and if the last one lines up perfectly with the 12 inch mark on the ruler, your chain is like brand new. This looks to be a pretty good guide
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm

vinvin wrote:Really rough estimate of use would be about 3500-4000km?
Sounds about right. Push it for too much longer and you'll need to replace the chainrings too.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Hold out, buy said parts from UK + 3tools required for installation and learn a few things in the process and be able to change cassettes easily for many years to come :). Quick calculation on wiggle for 105 cassette, chain, + 3 tools = $130 delivered
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Sounds about right. Push it for too much longer and you'll need to replace the chainrings too.
bollocks only if you have been riding on the sand in the beach.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:12 pm

rkelsen wrote: Sounds about right. Push it for too much longer and you'll need to replace the chainrings too.
Mine had 3k, and like I said, chain was exactly 12" over 12 links. OTOH my Rubino's lasted about 2k where some report over 10k for similar tyres. As always YMM(and does)V
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:30 am

Cruiserman wrote:
rkelsen wrote:
bollocks only if you have been riding on the sand in the beach.
I've not done either, but can't seem to get more than about 2,500km out of a chain on my road bike. If I leave it for another 1,000km, it also chews up the cassette.

4,000km on a road chain/cassette is very good milage, IME.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:32 am

What chain/cassette/rings are you using? Are you above average weight or power?
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am

Robdog wrote:YMM(and does)V
Literally, in this case! :wink:

Only way to know for sure is to check out the cassette and measure the chain; there's always the possiblity someone is trying to rip you off or has made an honest mistake but the other possibility is that the OP should be thanking them for saving his chainrings and more $$$!

IMO It wouldn't be unheard of for the chain and cassette to be toast after 3-4'000 Km, especially if you've been a bit slack with cleaning/maintenace.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 am

Robdog wrote:What chain/cassette/rings are you using? Are you above average weight or power?
Shimano 105 bits. I've tried several different types of chain, but the best one was a comparatively cheap KMC. As far as lubes go, I've tried pro-link, r'n'r, purple extreme and even ordinary gear oil.

The reality is that these are racing parts. They're not designed for durability, which is why I don't commute on a racing bike anymore.

As for weight & power: I've never had my power measured and I weigh 102kg.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 am

That's a standard thing for that unamed shop to say things need replacing when they don't. I know numerous other people that have similar stories.

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 am

Ross wrote:That's a standard thing for that unamed shop to say things need replacing when they don't. I know numerous other people that have similar stories.
This has happened to me back when I didn't fix things myself. This same shop pushed very hard to replace all cabling and housing, and also just went ahead and did it with XTR stuff rather than doing like for like.

I know now how to fix everything on my bike... except my shocks. :) You learn your lessons quickly when they are so expensive.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Go somewhere else and get a second opinion.

Another factor is how clean you keep things. For example, I when I ride at Sydney Olympic Park regularly I notice that brake pads get worn very quickly whereas riding into the City they last much longer. I am doing similar distances.

This is due to their being a fair bit of fine debris on the SOP roads which causes more rapid deterioration. I cleaned the bike once a fortnight during that time.

On my commuter I got 15,000 km's out of the first chain (probably way too much) and 15,000 km's out of the next 2 before I changed the rear cassette and one of the small chainrings (all Sora stuff). From what I'm told that is at the upper end of the scale.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm

goneriding wrote:.
On my commuter I got 15,000 km's out of the first chain (probably way too much) and 15,000 km's out of the next 2 before I changed the rear cassette and one of the small chainrings (all Sora stuff). From what I'm told that is at the upper end of the scale.
I did much better out of my Sora bike chain (around 10K) than my 105 (around 5K). Sora is 9 speed, and wider chain, so I put it down to the benefit of having a larger load bearing surface on the wider chain.

OP is a bit vague about kms, but the acid test is to follow Sheldon's recommendations and measure the chain with a steel ruler. Don't bother with the Park chain measuring tool - it over-estimates the wear.

Won't hurt OP to order up a chain and have it on the ready to go when it is eventually needed - will help him avoid the temptation to be such a tight-ass that he lets it go too long and wears cassette rings etc.,.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 pm

wombatK wrote:
goneriding wrote:.
I did much better out of my Sora bike chain (around 10K) than my 105 (around 5K). Sora is 9 speed, and wider chain, so I put it down to the benefit of having a larger load bearing surface on the wider chain.

OP is a bit vague about kms, but the acid test is to follow Sheldon's recommendations and measure the chain with a steel ruler. Don't bother with the Park chain measuring tool - it over-estimates the wear.

Won't hurt OP to order up a chain and have it on the ready to go when it is eventually needed - will help her avoid the temptation to be such a tight-ass that she lets it go too long and wears cassette rings etc.,.

Cheers
8)
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 pm

vinvin wrote:Hi guys,
My bike went in for service today (was due for it as hadn't been properly serviced since about Sept) and the bike shop (I don't want to name it but it's one that generally gets the thumbs up from Canberra cyclists) wants to replace the chain ($59) and cassette ($120) because they are worn and rubbing. I'm willing to trust them, but I'm just a bit surprised about it because I've never worn either one out before. I've been riding regularly on this bike for 12 months (bought new) but only about 80-90km or 2-3 rides per week.
Any thoughts? I have to decide ASAP because I have events coming up this weekend and next week!
In one word, "Bollocks". Check the wear yourself with a ruler (on the chain), and have a look at the teeth on the cassette and see if you can identify and wear. My last cassette was still going strong after 14,000km of commuting. Every couple of months I would remove the cassette from the wheel and give the whole thing a good clean so that it was all shiny again, along with the chain (more often if it has been raining). I only swapped the cassette recently because my bike got a warranty exchange and therefore I had new chainrings, new chain, so I figured now was as good a time as any to replace the cassette. I just grabbed my spare cassette out of the drawer (lbs cost $170, c r c cost $58) and installed it.

Go to Wiggle/c r c/Ribble and buy yourself a new cassette (or two), some spare chains and the tools to install/remove them, then do it yourself. A friend of mine got caught short last week when his chain broke and he needed a new one "pronto". He ended up paying something like $70 for an Ultegra chain. All he had to do was call me and I could have given him one of my spares while he waited for a replacement to arrive. Would have saved him $40 then and there!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 pm

A 105 spec cassette from Cycle Surgery in Florey was only ~$72 six months ago. $59 for a 105 spec chain isn't the cheapest retail either, I'd expect DuraAce in that price range.

And I would be surprised if the cassette needed replacing after so few k's.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Sounds a bit funny, but how often was the chain lubed/cleaned in that 1 year period ?

I may have missed it, but it's been 4 months since the last 'service' so if it wasn't lubed in that time, ridden in the rain, then the chain could be cactus. More detail from the OP is needed.

glennb

Postby glennb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

It's easy enough to trash a 9sp chain through neglect, I had one I didn't oil that only lasted two months (2000km). Same for cassettes, 23t rear cog doesn't last long riding hilly stuff with a worn chain.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:53 pm

vinvin wrote:Hi guys,
Do you lube the chain between lbs services?
Does your lbs return removed parts to you when they fit new items.?