My First Wheel Build Project (Year 12 Research Project)

Richard.L

Re: My First Wheel Build Project (Year 12 Research Project)

Postby Richard.L » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Update: DA hub still not in (on back order considering its a 24h hub)

Could be looking at a DT Swiss 240 now :? but at least i don't need to worry about a Shimano hub on a SRAM equipped bike :mrgreen:

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 pm

So my DT Swiss Hub arrived last Wednesday, Just by spinning it with my fingers its was pretty quite.

I measured the ERD of the wheels and the dimensions of the hub on Tuesday (29/03) and yesterday (Wednesday) the spokes were ordered.
The spokes are DT Swiss Aerolites (Black, i wanted white but they didn't come that short) which are going to cost me $8 each :shock: . The mechanic said if i wanted white they would be Titanium which were $18 each

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm

I purchased my Hubs and Spokes today. They cost $700in total with a regular customer discount
I will take some photos but they wont be as interesting as the rims.

I have been busy with racing, training and school work so have not had the time to rebuild my 24" wheels, i will need to take the risk and build my carbon wheels. I will be try and do the best i can to get it true and round and will bring it back to the shop for dishing and even up the spoke tension.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Started on Monday and re-laced it today (Saturday) after a lacing mistake that the LBS picked up. It was stuck 3cm out of true
The pictures from Monday(with wrong lacing)
The setup
Laptop to follow the ebook “Professional guide to wheel building” by Roger Musson (sent to me by a BNA member :D )
Shimano R-500 rear wheel used as a reference

Ready for crossing to begin
Drive side crossed

Both sides crossed with lacing mistake before tensioning

Today's finished product which is only a few mm out of true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxxtlGeHxmY

DT 240 freewheel noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAf2FeXIto

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:47 pm

I wish my mrs would allow me to bring bike stuff into the dining room,,,,,,,,,,you are so lucky........and well done on the wheel build
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:49 pm

BLU_FZ! wrote:I wish my mrs would allow me to bring bike stuff into the dining room,,,,,,,,,,you are so lucky........and well done on the wheel build
Thanks blue_fz and for the ebook :wink:

The first attempt took me about 4 hours and the second effort took about 2 so i guess its pretty easy for my future builds.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:59 am

Forgive me for asking - but what's with those really wonky looking spokes?
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:07 pm

uncle arthur wrote:Forgive me for asking - but what's with those really wonky looking spokes?
Which picture?
When u cross spokes they tend to bend. The bladed spokes make it look even worse than a round spoke because of its design(i think)
Secondly this is the tightest i can get the spokes(for comfort) as i don't have a tension metre so still need to take it to the LBS to look at it. This will straighten it a tiny bit more

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 am

Richard.L wrote:
uncle arthur wrote:Forgive me for asking - but what's with those really wonky looking spokes?
Which picture?
When u cross spokes they tend to bend. The bladed spokes make it look even worse than a round spoke because of its design(i think)
Secondly this is the tightest i can get the spokes(for comfort) as i don't have a tension metre so still need to take it to the LBS to look at it. This will straighten it a tiny bit more
At this stage my optical tension meter says "more tension please".

Do you have something to check dishing?

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 am

master6 wrote: At this stage my optical tension meter says "more tension please".

Do you have something to check dishing?
master6 is right - the spokes shouldn't be anywhere near that bent with a wheel getting close to tension. Are you 100% sure it's laced correctly? It looks like you've gone "over" when some of those spokes should have been "under" (or vice versa).
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 am

I tend to agree that it looks like you've gone under when you should have gone over or vice versa - either that or you have essentially "plaited" spokes rather than simply lacing them. I've just taken out and looked at my 24 hole carbon rim and when spokes are on the inside of the hub they stay inside (don't wrap around any other spoke) and same with the outside spokes. And not a wonky wobble in sight. Best to check it again I'd say and get it right - otherwise you have an expensive set of bent spokes and possibly a broken wheel.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I did get confused as i looked at rounded spoked wheels instead of the bladed spoke wheels. (My shimano R500 compared to my fulcrums)

Edit: now after looking back on the R500 the spoke holes on the rims are offset :oops:

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

I will need to check with the LBS 2morrow morning at this point(i think i just respoked it the exact same way as what they said was wrong/what it was before)
There is still a bit more tensioning to be done but i cant do it as the spokes are twisting(it isnt as tight as ANY of my factory wheels)

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Richard.L wrote:I will need to check with the LBS 2morrow morning at this point(i think i just respoked it the exact same way as what they said was wrong/what it was before)
There is still a bit more tensioning to be done but i cant do it as the spokes are twisting(it isnt as tight as ANY of my factory wheels)
If the spokes are twisting, does this indicate that they are too long, and screwed to the end of the threads?

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Richard.L wrote:I will need to check with the LBS 2morrow morning at this point(i think i just respoked it the exact same way as what they said was wrong/what it was before)
It's isn't going to get tight looking at that last photo. It's wrong. There are plenty of reasons why it might be wrong (spokes on the wrong way, wrong lacing pattern, right pattern but wrong execution... I'd start again from scratch.

You need to look at a wheel that's laced the way you want yours to be - master6 might be right (you've bottomed the nipples because the spokes are too long) but if I was going to guess I'd say you've laced it one spoke off IF you ordered the right length spokes. On the back Fulcrum 7 I have, only the drive side has cross-over spoking, the non-drive side is all straight radially laced (and the front wheel is radial laced both sides). If you're trying for a normal 24 spoke 2 cross or similar pattern, you've got the spoke heads exactly the wrong way around I think.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm

drubie wrote:you've got the spoke heads exactly the wrong way around I think.
Thats what i got told by the LBS, i respoked it wrongly again :cry: i dont understand how this would change much?
As for the spoke length/nipple bottoming out. We(bike shop mechanic and I) measured the dimensions of the hub ourselves for the DT Swiss calculator and compared it to the factory dimensions of the DT 240 hub. The difference was 1mm off, and the mechanic ended up ordering the longer spokes(1mm longer(own measurements of the hub))

The spokes all seem to be 90degrees from the hub to the rim.
I dont have a dishing tool, I was letting the LBS help me out with that.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Richard.L wrote:
drubie wrote:you've got the spoke heads exactly the wrong way around I think.
Thats what i got told by the LBS, i respoked it wrongly again :cry: i dont understand how this would change much?
I can matter quite a bit - if you get the orientation mixed up the "outer" and "inner" spoke of the cross will be too far apart to cross on the correct side for the lacing. You can simply cross them on the reverse side, but that might not suit your lacing. If you start the wheel with the "key" spoke the correct orientation it'll be hard to get it wrong. It's just a pile of parts, pull it to bits (carefully) and start again I reckon.

More here: (read the thread)
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 99649.html

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks again drubie i didnt know how to explain/search in google. Ive already pulled the drive side spokes out for respoking it with the heads facing inwards.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

The bike shop had no issue with the lacing, and trued and tensioned it correctly as he had one of the tools to hold the spokes in place so they didn't twist. The spokes are pretty damn straight but he said he cant make them ultra tight compared to alu rims.

Rode with the wheel just before and it feels very complaint, but not very responsive ATM and will need to have a few more rides on it. It also rattles like hell(more compared to the zipps and Matrix wheels that people i ride with in my regular group)

Pictures to come!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm

The bike shops good effort. I might ask if he can get it a little tighter as it doesn't feel responsive(and to maybe make the rattling a little quieter)

Didn't get the wheel weighed as i was in a rush to ride it. :roll:

Someone on Facebook mentioned the UCI wheel regs :| might need to track down FFWD stickers

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Richard.L wrote:The bike shops good effort. I might ask if he can get it a little tighter as it doesn't feel responsive(and to maybe make the rattling a little quieter)
Rattling might be the cassette not screwed down tight enough.

I still see spoke heads poking at odd angles and some fully sik spoke angles where the cross overs are. It doesn't look right on the non-drive side at all.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Yea its the cassette after reading your post last night i think i overtightened the cassette(about 11pm). It was still loose today after thinking it was the valve. I now have bite marks on the splines because i just putting a lot of power into the loose sprockets which dug into the spline.
Need to find a spacer then!
EDIT: Scratch that it somehow sorted it self out and isn't loose anymore?

I see what you mean now drubie, while lacing it i had trouble just trying to thread the spokes through those holes, the flange must be bent/on a weird angle.