Adjusting 3-speed Shimano Nexus hub

m@

Adjusting 3-speed Shimano Nexus hub

Postby m@ » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 am

Please help, internal hub experts! ;)

The GLW's commuter has a three-speed Nexus hub, it's a second-hand bike with a year's light use. The hub was shifting reasonably well, but makes a constant, loud clicking noise in at least one gear. Adjustment looks pretty straightforward but after some trial-and-error I can't get it shifting well and running quietly - in fact if anything it's a bit worse. Are there any traps for young players with these hubs? I've had a look through Shimano's tech docs and archive and they only seem to have instructions for eight-speed shifters/hubs, which have a very different assembly at the axle/hub :?

I've been following the instructions from the bike manual - i.e. select 2nd gear, loosen the allen key bolt holding the assembly to the end of the axle bolt and moving it back/forward to align the yellow mark between the lines on the window. What I've noticed though is that after pushing the assembly toward the hub, the yellow mark seems to stop moving with the assembly, so I'm wondering if something else is wrong - incorrect cable tension or a busted component somewhere. The previous owner never had the bike serviced but didn't ride it much; from the chain and sprocket condition I'm guessing well under 1500Km - from the info I can glean on Shimano's website this shouldn't be an issue for the hub.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

hazmat5765

Re: Adjusting 3-speed Shimano Nexus hub

Postby hazmat5765 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 am

I'm no expert but we have a tandem which has a 3 speed Nexave Intego hub. On the rare occasion I adjust the gears I don't adjust the "bell assembly" that is attached to the axle, I put it in 2nd gear and adjust the cable tension so that the coloured linkage in the assembly sits exactly between the indicator lines on the window. If you google "shimano nexus 3 speed tech docs" or "shimano nexus 3 speed hub adjustment" a fair bit comes up. On YooTube there is reference to the clicking that you hear.
Good Luck, Rob.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Hey Rob, belated thanks for this - helped me sort the indexing out and it's now running nicely. Went for a ~50Km cruise with the GLW yesterday and the bike didn't skip a beat.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 pm

m@ wrote:Hey Rob, belated thanks for this - helped me sort the indexing out and it's now running nicely. Went for a ~50Km cruise with the GLW yesterday and the bike didn't skip a beat.
I googled GLW and I am still confused :roll:

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:59 pm

I see. GLW = SWMBO :lol:

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm

m@ wrote:Hey Rob, thanks for this
No worries, glad it worked out for you.
Rob.