Shimano brifter install - grease and lube

gururug

Shimano brifter install - grease and lube

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Just want to clarify some things. On the instructions that came with some new 105 brifters;

"Grease the inner cable and the inside of the outer casing to ensure they slide properly".........There is no mention of the type of grease other than it says....a special grease is used.

I have a separate packet of SIS-SP41 cables which on the back says.... ONLY USE SP41 special grease. Wish they had supplied a small tube of this with the cables. This also says the outers are pre-lubricated. So confusing.

Will chain lube do?

Also, should I bother putting some real grease on the bar clamping areas. Don't think much water will get in there...and may cause unnecessary slip?

Also of interest, it says not to use internal cable routing as it will "impair the SIS function".

familyguy

Re: Shimano brifter install - grease and lube

Postby familyguy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:15 pm

For cables, I use the teflon lube I put on my brake and FD/RD pivots. Chain lube is probably too much, unless thats all you have. Drip a bit in the end of the outer cable, slide in the inner, job done. It'll work its way along the cable over time. Agree about not greasing the bar clamps though.

Are these 5700 (dual routing under bar tape) levers? Interesting that they admit the optional routing is a poor performer.

Jim

gururug

Re: Shimano brifter install - grease and lube

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Yes, 5700. A little bit wider.