kiddy bike rebuild

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

kiddy bike rebuild

Postby s-s-a » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:45 pm

My dilemma about which 16" bike to buy for Miss 3.75 is solved!

On Sunday during an event I spotted a derilect bike in a stormwater drain. I couldn't get back over that side of town until yesterday but was extremely lucky to find it about 0.5km further down the drain, liberally strewn with leaves and other debris. Brushed off the worst of it and then sprayed every moving part with WD40 when I git it home.

The front wheel was missing and the back one badly pretzled but still inflated. Last night and then today I started stripping it down and have finished except for a few things soaking in solvent.

Here's a pic of before (just after I got home with the wreckage) and after (stripped and then cleaned with Mr Sheen and car polish). The duco is a lovely slightly metallic purple with a hint of pink in the shimmer.

When I put it out on the table Miss 3.75 was home playing in the sand pit. I called her over to see how shiny and nice it looked and she just gasped and stood there with her mouth open :).

My new Trail-gator arrived today too but she doesn't know about that yet :D.

Will be back with some updates soon.

Steph
Last edited by s-s-a on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
s-s-a

by BNA » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:58 pm

BNA

Postby twowheels » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:58 pm

I picked up our daughter's 16" Giant from the council rubbish recycling centre for $5, a great place for bike renovation parts, could be a good place to check your local for a replacement front wheel.
twowheels

Postby s-s-a » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:30 pm

Yeah good idea. I've already emailed about 10 people who have 2nd hand 16" bikes advertised on a local freebie classifieds site. Going to look at a Mongoose boy's bike tomorrow asking $60 and could even have alloy wheels which would be a bonus!

Steph
s-s-a

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:12 pm

Steph, why not zoom out to AussieJunk on Mugga Lane (at the tip) and /or the Mitchell rubbish transfer station, they usually have plenty of stuff to pick through.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby s-s-a » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:17 pm

Is AussieJunk the new thing where Revolve used to be? Have a bit of a philosophical objection to spending money there. I know that Revolve are a bit further over near the Monaro Hwy. Sounds like sproglet and I are going for a drive tomorrow...

Steph
s-s-a

Postby Kid_Carbine » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:08 pm

I have seen a lot of perfectly good kiddies bikes thrown out in the council cleanups. It would seem that there is frequently little or nothing wrong with them other that the original rider simply grew too big for it.

The end result is that a large number of one owner, low mileage examples become available just for the looking.
Good fortune with your parts search, but somehow I suspect that a 'parts bike' will be just around the [metaphoric] corner.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

but wait there's more

Postby s-s-a » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:25 pm

Success :D! A trip to Revolve this morning (local junk recycling business) yielded two bikes for $10 each.

The red one is exactly the same frame as the purple one I already have and I think has alloy rims. The chain ring is not solid either. I really only bought the blue one because the tyres on it are nice lightly treaded 16x1.75" in great condition and I figured $10 for two tyres was heaps cheaper than the LBS.

As a bonus of buying these two I can now build up a 2nd kiddy bike on the red frame to have as a spare when friends are visiting.

I think the only bits I'll actually have to buy new will be a saddle and grips (under $25 per bike) plus some little things like brake cables and housings and probably some more grease.

Steph
s-s-a

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Well done Steph! Looks like it will work out well.

I wonder if we have similar places here in WA.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:43 am

Good score & wise shopping. With the red frame being the same you can probably standardise to some degree, although I wonder how it would look with the red wheels, pedals, seat & grips from the other donor bike.

Use the alloy wheels [if they really are alloy] on the purple one & give it all the best bits. Once she gets her balance, I suspect that your young'un will be terrorising the back yard at full speed, so she'll need a good custom rebuilt special to do it on.

Clearly a woman who knows how to stretch a quid & it's recycling at it's best.
More power to you.
Kid_Carbine

Postby twowheels » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Andrew, try the Balcatta Baling Plant. Might need a few visits to pick up two examples in such good condition, but it is possible. There are a number of regular seagulls that hang out there and pick the cream, then resell in Sunday Times or Quokka.
twowheels

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:39 am

I'm glad that you scored at Revolve. Like you, I'm pissed off at the way that they were treated, so I always go there first, then to the interlopers at Aussie Junk.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:30 am

twowheels wrote:Andrew, try the Balcatta Baling Plant. Might need a few visits to pick up two examples in such good condition, but it is possible. There are a number of regular seagulls that hang out there and pick the cream, then resell in Sunday Times or Quokka.

Thanks twowheels. Will wonder pass to take a look.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby s-s-a » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:32 pm

Does it seem a tad ridiculous to be a weight weenie on this project?

I discovered that the single piece crank with white chain ring attached weighs OVER A KILO! I can save 200g by putting the black crank arm with cutout chain ring on from the red bike. So I will use the black chain guard and pedals too.

Also the super chunky silver headstem weighed in at 400g+ almost double the one from the blue bike.

So thus far:
- headset bearings are repacked
- headset and handlebars from the blue bike on
- seatpost inserted
- bottom bracket bearings all cleaned and drying out
- black cranks, chain ring, pedals and guard from red bike cleaned and ready to put on
- front wheel from red bike has bearings unpacked and soaking
- tyre from front wheel of blue bike removed ready to put on

More progress tomorrow.

Steph
s-s-a

Postby twowheels » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Great fun restoring kid's bikes. Last weekend a 5 spd 20" was left out on the kerbside. I checked at the front door & sure enough, it was free. So I brought it home. Put the front brake cable back into the V brake arm, adjusted the rear brake, adjusted the gears. All working fine now. Weird how many bikes get disposed of because owners/parents don't know basics.
twowheels

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:25 pm

Not long before miss 3.75 will be following in the footsteps of her mother, like this girl racing at Heffron park on Saturday

Hey its Christmas
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby s-s-a » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:27 pm

Very cool pics!

Just come in from the garage. Since my last update:

- saddle damage taped up, cleaned and put on (temporary)
- bottom bracket repacked and black cranks, pedals and chain guard put on
- front wheel done
- back wheel done
- chain soaking

Steph
s-s-a

Postby stryker84 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 pm

s-s-a wrote:Does it seem a tad ridiculous to be a weight weenie on this project?

Sounds quite sensible to go weight weenie on this one, seeing as you'll save a much higher % of overall weight (bike+rider)... imagine tossing the same proportion of additional weight on your own machine. About a kilo just in the cranks?
stryker84

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:30 am

I was thinking the same thing, but add to that the fact that the perceived increase in weight that is felt by a todler is much greater as well since your daughter is still a decade & more from acheiving her strength potential.

Needless weight may be OK in a train, but not a bicycle & it looks like you have saved about 400g already by just selecting the right parts in two components from the three donor machines, so that's 400g saved at no $$$ cost to you at all.
BARGAIN.
Kid_Carbine

Postby s-s-a » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 am

Weighed it last nite without chain, grips or brakes = 11kg.

Will be interesting to see how much more the red one weighs with all the heavy bits on it!

Steph
s-s-a

Postby nimm » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:27 pm

surely that chunky frame is way too strong, perhaps drill some holes in it to lose weight? ;)
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /
nimm

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 pm

s-s-a wrote:Weighed it last nite without chain, grips or brakes = 11kg.

Will be interesting to see how much more the red one weighs with all the heavy bits on it!

Steph

11kg :shock:

I didn't realise that little kids bikes were so heavy
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby s-s-a » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:55 pm

The purple bike is pretty much finished. Just have to do some cone adjustments on the hubs as they are a bit tight and get some grips for the new silver mtb bars that a mate (our daughter's godfather actually) found in his shed.

Have taken some pics and will post them tomorrow.

Haven't put any brakes on except the coaster as for the moment it will only be ridden as a tow-along.

Started building the red bike and discovered hubs on the red wheels are different width :x so I guess I will now be building the blue bike. Have offered whichever frame will be surplus (either blue or red) to some friends whose son is nearly 5y and is currently riding a pink 16" bike that was his big sister's.

Steph
s-s-a

Postby europa » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Tried taking the training wheels off my daughter's bike today - she was terrified right from the moment it started to tilt, despite me having a firm grip on her. Back on went the training wheels. Even set as high as I can get them, she still leans on them and does the same on the tag-along. Disappointing because she loves riding her bike and it'll only get better once the trainers are gone.

Ah well, back to encouraging her on the scooter. She's starting to coast on that ... a little.

No, I'm not taking the pedals off her bike - btdt, she's not ready for it, it'll only stop her using the bike at all.

I envy you with kids who balance early, but mine's not one of them. Like my Dad pointed out today, my sister never really learned to ride a bike and at 48, still can't.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am

mikesbytes wrote:
s-s-a wrote:Weighed it last nite without chain, grips or brakes = 11kg.

Steph

11kg :shock:

I'm afraid to weigh my daughters 16" bike. I've had to carry a few times, and bugger me if they didn't use Steam Pipe for it !!!!!

[For those that don't know, Steam Pipe is VERY thick wall mild steel tube]

Damn fine idea to reduce weight, especially if you have the bits, and it costs you a bit of elbow grease.

Does your daughter like to help ? Mine does, and often creates mire hassle, but I love it.
MichaelB

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:56 am

mikesbytes wrote:11kg :shock:

They are definitely not for the weight weenies. It's always a struggle to get my son's bike into and out the back of the car. I've already removed everything that's unnecessary eg. Mud guard, stand, reflector etc. Maybe I should do some drilling like what they did in the 70s. One day I'll strain my back doing it. :cry:

And note that they are single gear ridden by someone 1/3-1/4 of our weight. There's a good reason why they can't keep up and ride up that slight incline.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Next

Return to The Shed