NiteRider MiNewt failure

drubie

NiteRider MiNewt failure

Postby drubie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm going to start by saying I like this light - I've had it for nearly two years and it's been convenient (usb charging is excellent), bright and not overly expensive. Over winter it gets used pretty much every day and copes with commuting and training.

Now the bad news: it stopped working - flickering intermittently or cutting out altogether recently. I initially thought it was the plug from the light unit to the battery pack as wiggling that seemed to flicker the light.

However, on pulling it apart (relatively simple - you remove the rubber ring where the light plugs in using tweezers, then pop the glue holding the casing together), one of the tabs on the battery had come off.

These are spot welded on (at least that's what it looks like). It's a purely mechanical failure in other words. Not having the resources to spot weld it back, it's now held in place by a rubber band and a hunk of plastic wedged between the case and the battery. Contact cement is holding the case together.

I'm not overly impressed now I've seen inside the case of the battery - it's not the greatest quality bit of kit in the world and it looks inevitable that shaking the case will eventually cause the battery terminals to fail. A simple fix, but something easy to solve by NiteRider by designing a better case I think.

edit: picture of internals:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

jules21

Re: NiteRider MiNewt failure

Postby jules21 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 pm

interesting info. i have had one for a couple of years, the only problem i've had to date is the cable connector loses contact. wd40 solves that instantly.

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:49 pm

My partner has one on her bike, and occasionally it would be intermittent in turning on/off too.

I just realised this morning that the damn reflector and lens fell off whilst we had it on the back of the car. I knew this would happen because the thing would always come loose. Ergh. Where to get spares? The light itself cost $100 new complete. Otherwise I like the light.

GraemeK

Postby GraemeK » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Drubie - Spot welding the contacts onto batteries is very common in a production situation but it should be possible to solder a wire on to the battery as long as you dont get the battery really hot.

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:38 pm

GraemeK wrote:Hi Drubie - Spot welding the contacts onto batteries is very common in a production situation but it should be possible to solder a wire on to the battery as long as you dont get the battery really hot.

Ah - good to know GraemeK - I was worried about putting a soldering iron anywhere near a battery but I figure if everything is clean and I do it quickly it might be OK. As it is, with the electrode packed in it's been working OK but it's not the sort of thing I want to fail in the dark on the way home.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Reddog 67

Postby Reddog 67 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi too have a Night Rider light (MiNewt 2) which has served me well for many years. Recently however it just stopped and when I went to recharge it failed - the indicated light on top of the battery only flashes red but now charge is stored. Does anyone know if this means I need a new battery or is there some other solution. Reddog

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Reddog 67 wrote:Hi too have a Night Rider light (MiNewt 2) which has served me well for many years. Recently however it just stopped and when I went to recharge it failed - the indicated light on top of the battery only flashes red but now charge is stored. Does anyone know if this means I need a new battery or is there some other solution. Reddog

If it's out of warranty like mine was, you've got nothing to lose by popping the case open and checking the battery connections. Other than that, I got nuthin'