New Build

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

New Build

Postby itsaghostcar » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Well, finished my first ever build a couple of days ago (in time for Xmas) and finally have some photos. :D

Brought frame, forks and some bits and pieces from London and got the rest from the interweb delivered to Sydney. Had a couple of short rides around the block to test things out, and things seem ok. Hope I haven't ruined the cranks as the crank bolt came loose the first few times out.

Lesson 1 - started to cross thread the rear derailleur so stopped as soon as I realised and took it to the LBS. They kindly retapped it for me (replacement was $45) which meant that I returned there and bought my helmet from them.

Lesson 2 - After a number of pinch punctures to the rear tyre, I eventually bought a Crank Brothers Speed Lever. For putting on a really tight tyre, it worked a treat.

Anyway, here she is ...

Image Image

Image Image Image
Last edited by itsaghostcar on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsaghostcar

by BNA » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:17 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:17 pm

She looks nice. Like to tell us a bit more about her?

What's a Tifosi frame? (it's okay, I hadn't heard of Jamis until I bought my frame ... and they don't make frames like mine anymore :roll: )
Frame material?
New? Second hand? New but old stock?

And the groupset?
The wheels?

Nice feeling putting a new bird together isn't it. :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:46 pm

I can't get the pics, even using the properties option :(

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby stryker84 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:55 pm

I don't know about you Shaun, but Firefox refused to show it refreshing the page, until I right-clicked on one and hit View Image. This will open the image individually. Just hit Back, and do that to each broken image. Then go Back one last time, and refresh the page. It worked for me.
stryker84

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Everyone keeps telling me I should get Firefox...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:29 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Everyone keeps telling me I should get Firefox...

Don't bother one way or the other mate. I use both and both stink. Firefox has just learnt to be as annoying as IE.

As for the pictures, they came straight up for me, without a problem. Maybe something with the host and your ISP?

Richard
europa

Postby itsaghostcar » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:39 pm

europa wrote:She looks nice. Like to tell us a bit more about her?

What's a Tifosi frame? (it's okay, I hadn't heard of Jamis until I bought my frame ... and they don't make frames like mine anymore :roll: )
Frame material?
New? Second hand? New but old stock?

And the groupset?
The wheels?

Tifosi is the brand from Chicken & Sons in the UK. They are a distributor of lots of cycling stuff including Campagnolo equipment. The frame is a second hand CK7 which is their audax frame and has bosses for a rack. Similar to the Ribble winter frame (not sure if you know Ribble, but they deliver to Oz so perhaps that is more familiar). ITM Spider fork, carbon seatpost and saddle came with the frame. I had to buy a new headset as the one that came was damaged. Headset removal and refit was done by my LBS in London.

Parts from the bike come from anywhere and everywhere. I've basically been checking eBay, 2nd hand ads, and specials from shops over the past year or so.

Has a Campagnolo groupset with a mixture of models - Levers are Centaur 2006 levers off eBay, front derailleur is also from eBay, Centaur grey rear derailleur purchased online from a UK shop.

Had Ribble deliver to Oz the Camagnolo Vento wheelset (came with free Conti tubes and tyres). Also got a Centaur grey triple chainset (30-42-53), Centaur bottom bracket, Mirage 12-25 cassette, KMC chain, Deda stem, bars and tape, cable cutters AND a workstand

Used Torpedo to buy a track pump and the Zefal hpx frame pump along with some other goodies.

Brakes are Tektro 521AG long reach calipers bought second hand. The (very tattered looking) Shimano M540 pedals came second hand from eBay. Also found a nice pair of Lake LXSDL cycling sandals to ride in from an online UK shop.

All up, I don't even want to know how much she has cost me :oops:

ps - not sure about the pics. I couldn't see them at first, but then reloaded and everything was ok.
itsaghostcar

Postby europa » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:03 pm

The only name I know put of that lot is Campy :oops:

If you're now in Squidley, you might need to update your location :wink:

Whatever. How far have you gone on her? Or has the Merry Season forced you into a 'sit and drool' state (like me with the bent :roll: )

Richard
europa

Postby itsaghostcar » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:38 pm

Ahh - Am in Sydney, but only for a couple of weeks. Enough time to build a bike over the holidays and go for a couple of rides. Coming back for the holidays means catching up with old friends, and doesn't leave a lot of time for a long ride. So far, only done a few jaunts around the local area (20km max).

In just a couple of rides, I've discovered just how much hillier Sydney is compared to London, and glad I got the triple just in case...

Sadly, she'll be left in Sydney with a whole lot of other dusty sporting equipment :cry:

I have a folding Dahon Cadenza in London as I can't fit a full sized bicycle in the apartment. Added benefit is that if I ever need to, I can get on the tube with it (non-folding bikes aren't allowed underground or on the light railway)
itsaghostcar

Postby stryker84 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:54 am

itsaghostcar wrote:Tifosi is the brand from Chicken & Sons in the UK.

Aha! Thought I'd heard of it before... musta glimpsed a few in the bike shops (and I just couldn't help sticking my head into most I passed!) when I was jaunting round the UK a few weeks ago.
stryker84

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:01 am

europa wrote:Don't bother one way or the other mate. I use both and both stink. Firefox has just learnt to be as annoying as IE.

Try Apple's Safari (Windows version) next. It'll keep you amused.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby McPete » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:50 am

sogood wrote:
europa wrote:Don't bother one way or the other mate. I use both and both stink. Firefox has just learnt to be as annoying as IE.

Try Apple's Safari (Windows version) next. It'll keep you amused.

True that... I'm using the mac version and I can't see these pictures either. Hurrah for internet(s)!
McPete

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:59 am

Well, Opera doesn't display those images either. So I'll just say that there's some stupid standards problem somewhere. Internet isn't just Internet Explorer, so can't be bothered chasing for a browser that'll display it.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Caelum » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 am

i'm thinking the host for the images are stopping hotlinking - may explain it working initially, but not afterwards.

fyi though, many more exploits are crafted for IE than FireFox, and safari for windows is just a joke(at the moment).

Try out opera maybe? (if you're wanting a new browser, i'm happy with firefox personally)
Caelum

Postby stryker84 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Hmm, yeah, seems there's some issue with the site not liking forum embedding, since I can get a direct link to the image working. Once I do that, it seems to open in the thread when I refresh, but not before. And that may be a local cache thing.
stryker84

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:35 pm

The images are in Kodak's gallery, which has a tendency to use 'standards' a bit the same way that Micosoft does - their way. :?
Flickr and Photobucket are more 'share friendly'.
That said, when I pick up the URL (via 'properties') and try a direct link to it, I get a "you are not authorised to view images on this server" message. :(
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:37 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:The images are in Kodak's gallery, which has a tendency to use 'standards' a bit the same way that Micosoft does - their way. :?
Flickr and Photobucket are more 'share friendly'.
That said, when I pick up the URL (via 'properties') and try a direct link to it, I get a "you are not authorised to view images on this server" message. :(

Ah, Kodakgallery might be the problem. I've edited the photos using flickr. Does that work?
itsaghostcar

Postby McPete » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:50 pm

That's a stunning looking bike mate. I may have missed it, but it's an Aluminium frame? Looks strikingly similar in hue and application to Richard's (Europa) Jamis.

The brakes are of particular interest to me; they're long reach models you say? Could I trouble you for the measurement from the mounting bolt to the top of the pads?
Several of us have older bikes that require long reach brakes, often leaving us in the hands of old single-pivot jobbies such as the Dia Compe Standards, and dual pivot brakes of the required size seem to be made of unobtainium.

Peter

EDIT;
I found a distributor, I think... 3rd bike from the bottom; Link
McPete

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:35 pm

McPete wrote:That's a stunning looking bike mate. I may have missed it, but it's an Aluminium frame? Looks strikingly similar in hue and application to Richard's (Europa) Jamis.

The brakes are of particular interest to me; they're long reach models you say? Could I trouble you for the measurement from the mounting bolt to the top of the pads?
Several of us have older bikes that require long reach brakes, often leaving us in the hands of old single-pivot jobbies such as the Dia Compe Standards, and dual pivot brakes of the required size seem to be made of unobtainium.

Peter

EDIT;
I found a distributor, I think... 3rd bike from the bottom; Link

That's them - Chicken cycles (hmm- looking at that photo I think I should tilt my bars a bit further down). A quick Google brought up DotBike who do deliver internationally (costs may be quite high for a bike). Good thing is that 2 of the staff ride the same bike! Yes it's aluminium, and apparently quite popular amongst the audaxes/randonneurs in the UK.

If you were looking for something similar, Ribble Cycles also do an Audax/Winter training bike which has similar geometry.

The spec for the brakes is a drop of 47-57mm. The front ones on mine are a teeny bit long for the fork, so I really should swap the front out for a normal brake, but as I won't be riding much before I head back to the UK, that can wait. If you are after long reach brakes, Shimano do the R600
itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Took the bike out yesterday evening for a 50km loop to Akuna Bay and back. Completely different sights and sounds compared to cycling around Europe. The wonderful sounds of the Australian bush made me slow down and smile all the way down into the bay, and the climb back up was an absolute joy :D The width of the shoulder along Mona Vale Road meant there was no problem cycling alongside vehicles doing 90kmh too. Was very clean on the shoulder too.

Nice to finish a ride with a dry, clean bike too.

Only regret was looking down at the speedo and realising that I was approaching 70kmh on Mona Vale Rd heading towards the Pacific Hwy at Gordon, and then missing out by 1kmh. Proper cycling knicks and starting a charge from the top of the hill will surely get me well past 70 though.

Sadly the next ride will have to be on my return to Sydney. She has now been put away and covered up until I book another trip. Resolution of a creak will also have to wait (was the cranks, but I think the headset is also playing up).

My old bike in London is going to feel like maneuvering a truck compared to this ... and the Tifosi doesn't even have race bike geometry!
itsaghostcar

Return to The Shed