bigfriendlyvegan

All of you sheddies will relate to this

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: All of you sheddies will relate to this

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Been there, done that many times, did this...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 pm

I learned a long time ago working with R/C cars that ice cream containers have a second life after the contents have added to your waistline.

They are very hard for small screws to escape from. For some reason their little legs don't seem to be able to grip the walls of the container, so they can't get away. :twisted:

My tools, on the other hand... :x the vernier calliper is a regular escape artist. I think it has an arrangement going with the torque wrench and the adjustable spanner, that when one diverts my attention one of the others makes a run for it. They almost got away with it a couple of times too. Shifty buggers.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

I noticed the problem only really occurs when seated.
When the bike is up on the repair stand on tiles, any small bits falls and bounces away for the next 10 minutes giving me plenty of time to go and chase after.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:12 am

Yes. :(

One time I lost a torch.

A few months later, I found it again. Exactly where I had left it. On the l/h chassis rail of my car.

When I was about 14 or so, I remember an uncle of Dad's showing us this thing he'd bought. Essentially it was a long, thin, flexible spring which had a little claw on the end, operated by a push button at the other end. It was designed for picking screws/nuts/bolts/washers out of tight and hard to reach places. At the time, I remember thinking to myself, "What kind of a numpty would need such a thing?" I've since lost count of the number of times I wished I'd had one...

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 am

trailgumby wrote:My tools, on the other hand... :x the vernier caliper is a regular escape artist.
yes, this week, again... :roll: it hid in the bottom of a shopping trolley for 2 days!
Cheers,
George.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 am

Don't ever work on rebuilding bikes outside.

Ball bearings vanish even better than screws.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 am

uncle arthur wrote:Ball bearings vanish even better than screws.
There is a device which you can use to find them. The lawn mower... :lol:

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:59 pm

rkelsen wrote: I've since lost count of the number of times I wished I'd had one...
I've lost count of the number of ones I've lost :oops:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:48 pm

For me it seems to work the other way round......I generally seem to have one or two little screws and washers left over after I have reassembled the whole thing. :roll:

But my hammer.............that’s an other story. :oops:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:58 pm

gclark8 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:My tools, on the other hand... :x the vernier caliper is a regular escape artist.
yes, this week, again... :roll: it hid in the bottom of a shopping trolley for 2 days!
You're not wrong there. Mine had been absent for a couple of months..... long enough for me to buy a new digital one. The very day it arrived the old one showed up on the bench. Grrrr....
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

igstar

Postby igstar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 am

Now where did I leave those nails...

One thing I do when I can't find a screw I droped, I take another one and drop it hoping it will bounce in the similar direction - of course, rarely happens...

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:57 pm

hahah this is why I stopped working outside in my car port - lost too many bearings.... now I work inside in a tiled area and so it is fairly easy to find things....
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 pm

igstar wrote:One thing I do when I can't find a screw I dropped, I take another one and drop it hoping it will bounce in the similar direction - of course, rarely happens...
I heard that theory a while ago and have since applied it. Unfortunately the result was 2 lost screws
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi All

I work with tools and escaping parts for a living, I learned long ago about the ability of small parts to bounce distances so great, a post code change is likely when going to get them, I now have several of these http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog in different sizes, nothing escapes from them, you can even hang them upside down under a car etc and stick tools and parts into them, great for assembling small things over.

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm

the smaller and more important the part, the further the distance and the greater the camouflage properties. you can drop a white screw onto a black surface and some how it magically vanishes. until you walk in bare feet 2 weeks later and find it buried in the sole of your foot as your putting on your sock, or sitting on the end of your spoon while your about to eat your cornflakes, or stuck to your shirt with gravity defying ability. when i was a teenager i used to build 1/35 scale military models and whenever i had to break out the tweezers i would start to sweat. ping..... of goes the little handle from the tank door. ping..... there goes the little lens from the spitfire gunsight. ping..... oh and there goes my sanity :x later on when i progressed to big boys toys....ping... there goes the fragile spring from the carter carburetter, ping..... there goes the tiny 1 millimeter part that lets me start my car. :( i learnt a trick from my mums partner who was a bush mechanic from way back, he used to have white bath towels streched out on his work bench,pinned with thumb tacks on each corner and because they are slightly fluffy, bearings and springs, screws, tiny nuts ect wouldnt bounce off and vanish but would get caught in the towel. i started practicing this when i was restoring my old 1960's and 70's skateboards ( of which i have aprox 50 or so) the loose bearing balls would never roll or bounce away. Now ive got towels sitting on everything.
steel is the real deal.

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:19 pm

rkelsen wrote:Yes. :(

One time I lost a torch.

A few months later, I found it again. Exactly where I had left it. On the l/h chassis rail of my car.

When I was about 14 or so, I remember an uncle of Dad's showing us this thing he'd bought. Essentially it was a long, thin, flexible spring which had a little claw on the end, operated by a push button at the other end. It was designed for picking screws/nuts/bolts/washers out of tight and hard to reach places. At the time, I remember thinking to myself, "What kind of a numpty would need such a thing?" I've since lost count of the number of times I wished I'd had one...
i bought one of those a while back, quite usefull when sockets come off the rachet and drop down into the abyss that is called "the engine bay". you might need it once in 2 years but it will more than pay for itself when do use it.
steel is the real deal.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:For me it seems to work the other way round......I generally seem to have one or two little screws and washers left over after I have reassembled the whole thing. :roll:
Attempting to fix a 2nd gear problem on my Austin A30 when a poor student, I pulled the engine and gearbox out each evening for 5 days straight and replaced them back in the car to drive to uni the next day. There were at least 2 or 3 different extra bolts left over at the end of each time i put it back together, working, and I never found places for them the following nights! I was pretty quick though - each cycle was down to under 4 hours.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:37 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:For me it seems to work the other way round......I generally seem to have one or two little screws and washers left over after I have reassembled the whole thing. :roll:
That takes me back. Used to do that often when I was young. But the cars still worked surprisingly. I used to joke how I re-engineered the car with less parts... :D

These days I'm generally too thorough to have the problem. I even screw the bolts back into their holes often so I won't lose them or their relative positions.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 pm

il padrone wrote:
gclark8 wrote:
You're not wrong there. Mine had been absent for a couple of months..... long enough for me to buy a new digital one. The very day it arrived the old one showed up on the bench. Grrrr....
That's standard practice. If you really want to find the old one after a while, you need to buy a new one. Better having two than none. The only other way to find these things is to move house...
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 pm

fatherofmany wrote:
igstar wrote:One thing I do when I can't find a screw I dropped, I take another one and drop it hoping it will bounce in the similar direction - of course, rarely happens...
I heard that theory a while ago and have since applied it. Unfortunately the result was 2 lost screws
:lol: That thought came to mind as I was reading igstar's post.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Eugene wrote:Hi All

I work with tools and escaping parts for a living, I learned long ago about the ability of small parts to bounce distances so great, a post code change is likely when going to get them, I now have several of these http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog in different sizes, nothing escapes from them, you can even hang them upside down under a car etc and stick tools and parts into them, great for assembling small things over.
Good idea, but can I assume it doesn't work as well for non-ferrous stainless and Ti hardware?

David_G

Postby David_G » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:11 pm

rkelsen wrote:Yes. :(

One time I lost a torch.

They sell them at SuperCheap Auto, plus another type with a magnet on the end..Priceless!
I just love riding my bike!

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Did a trip from Sydney to Melbourne, then across to Tassie and around Tassie. On the way back the guy checking the car for hidden LPG containers had a worried look on his face, waved me on and then said,
' Wait a minute, is there a reason you have a set of spanners under the hood?

Yes i'd left them there before leaving Sydney. Lost one spanner but it turned up a year later just under the front bumper. Needless to say SWMBO was not impressed in tassie but luckily has forgotten the incident.

c b

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:22 pm

celeste boy wrote:Did a trip from Sydney to Melbourne, then across to Tassie and around Tassie. On the way back the guy checking the car for hidden LPG containers had a worried look on his face, waved me on and then said,
' Wait a minute, is there a reason you have a set of spanners under the hood?

Yes i'd left them there before leaving Sydney. Lost one spanner but it turned up a year later just under the front bumper. Needless to say SWMBO was not impressed in tassie but luckily has forgotten the incident.

c b
why was he checking for hidden lpg containers, and who was he i dont get it ? and im from Tassie.
steel is the real deal.