Replacing Gear Cable.

shaneporteous

Replacing Gear Cable.

Postby shaneporteous » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I have bought some gear/brake levers and i want to replace the cables. The brake cables are easy, but i cant work out how to gain access to the gear cables. Would there be an exploded view or something so i can see what part goes where and howto get to it? On the cover it says Shimano RX100, but i cant seem to find any more info then that. I could be not looking in t he right place.

Any help would be great.

Thajks
Shane

rustychisel

Re: Replacing Gear Cable.

Postby rustychisel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:59 pm

put shifters in detente position, ie looser cable, smallest cog on back, small chainring for front. Slacken cable mount at derailleur[s] noting exactly where the cable goes and orientation. Push loosened cable back through housing toward shifter, you should see the nipple (head of cable) begin to come out the outside face of the shifter. Remove and renew.

The key is having the STI in the detente position

shaneporteous

Postby shaneporteous » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:06 pm

After much searching and frustration. I dont really know what i am doing with the gearing but learning as i go. Took it to the bike shop and walla. Just like that old cable out new one in. Seems soooo simple now. But earlier.........

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm

walla?> 'voila!!'

was it as described? All clear now? Have fun fixing your own bike, it's really the best thing.

Semar

Postby Semar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm

No, it was the bike wallah. :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.