BB on new bike loose?

Xplora

BB on new bike loose?

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi guys, looking for some advice. My bottom bracket is loose, and it's a brand new bike that was serviced just 7 days ago. Should I be expecting this to be retightened as part of the service warranty, or addressed as part of new bike warranty? It seems nuts that this would be giving up so soon after a service? I've got no idea how these things work, would love some advice. It's a FSA MegaExo BB.

hosko

Re: BB on new bike loose?

Postby hosko » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Just installed one of these on my bike. FSA MegaExo with a SLK-Lite Compact Carbon Crank. Used it for the first time today and loved it.

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly. The MegaExo's have Loctite on them when they come from the factory. If they have used grease in the shell before installing them, the loctite doesn't work!

Also the lockring on the outside of the nut on the non-drive side should also be secured with locitite with grease between that and the washer, and also the non-drive side bolt needs loctite.

FSA have had in the past issues with the nuts coming out from what I read which is why there is a need for the green loctite.

Use Green Loctite (non-permanent) for the bolts, and I also got the guys at Avanti Robina to look at the lockring for me (didn't have a lockring tool...). He secured it with a more permanent (heating it will allow it to break if needed) loctite and greased between that and the washer on the non-drive side.

Get it back to the shop and get them to fix it. If it is brand new that shouldn't happen if they installed the components correctly.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2