Alloy casette?

notwal

Alloy casette?

Postby notwal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Aluminium cogs seem to be fairly popular with the weight weenies. I have always assumed they would wear out pretty quickly and for that reason alone they would be unsuitable for normal folk.
Has anyone here had any experience with them?
judged, insulted, gone

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Alloy casette?

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:30 pm

All my cogs are alloy made from 7005 and heat treated like most alloy is these days so there very tough and long lasting. I'm no weight weenie it's just a case of what I wanted ended up being alloy so don't let alloy put you off it's for all folks no matter riding ability or mechanical ability. Sure steel is a tad on the heavy side but a well maintained drivetrain will last with either metal but if your after the longest life with less care to be paid then a steel one might be a better option be it the front chainrings or cassette. The only drawback to steel chainrings is that you will have a lower quality Bottom bracket etc it comes with the territory.

Ricky

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:38 pm

There is a wear rate difference, tough-as-nails 7075 T6 alloy not withstanding. The carbon middle ring with steel teeth on my XT mtb crankset is quoted as lasting 2-3 times longer.

When racing R/C cars I found the drive sockets on the universal joints we used when made from 7075 T6 would mark up from wear within one race meeting, where with hardened steel you'd get a year or so's use.

I would not use an aluminium cassette. The mostly Ti XTR cassette is only put on the bike for the occasional race, and if it was a wet start would be swapped for a steel one immediately.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 pm

notwal wrote:Aluminium cogs seem to be fairly popular with the weight weenies. I have always assumed they would wear out pretty quickly and for that reason alone they would be unsuitable for normal folk.
Has anyone here had any experience with them?
Are you talking about the all alloy CNC pieces?

They shift poorly and wear quickly, that being said you'll probably toss it before it wears out as the shifting is so bad. We tested a few a while back - on Campagnolo they seemed to work OK - On Sram or Shimano they were rubbish. Save weight elsewhere if you actually want to ride your bike..
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"