Derailleur adjustment after changing wheelset?

jamessyc

Derailleur adjustment after changing wheelset?

Postby jamessyc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi, my bike has a Shimano 105 10-speed cassette with Mavic Aksium wheelset and I've now just changed the wheels to the Shimano RS80 set. Before installing the cassette onto the new wheels i kept the shimano(thinner) spacer and left out the Mavic(thicker) spacer - I believe this was correct from the research I've done?

However, I seem to have problems shifting up to the last 3 smallest cogs on the cassette. Now that the thicker spacer has been removed, does that mean I need to also perform some rear Derailleur adjustments? Or did I just stuff something else up...

antipodean

Re: Derailleur adjustment after changing wheelset?

Postby antipodean » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Mods should probably move this to The Shed.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Mods should probably move this to The Shed.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 am

jamessyc wrote:Hi, my bike has a Shimano 105 10-speed cassette with Mavic Aksium wheelset and I've now just changed the wheels to the Shimano RS80 set. Before installing the cassette onto the new wheels i kept the shimano(thinner) spacer and left out the Mavic(thicker) spacer - I believe this was correct from the research I've done?

However, I seem to have problems shifting up to the last 3 smallest cogs on the cassette. Now that the thicker spacer has been removed, does that mean I need to also perform some rear Derailleur adjustments? Or did I just stuff something else up...
If you are sticking with the RS80s I would suggest you fully tune the RD on a workstand - limit screws and cable tension. If you plan on swapping between them then just cable tension should suffice. If you have problems with the 3 smallest cogs I think that it's simply cable tension and you should only need 1/4-1/2 a turn on the barrel adjuster to make it right
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:33 am

Mavic & Shimano need levels redoing each time you change the wheels...but I think you are just changing over to Shimano and the wheel is staying on?.You should back the cable tension right off and reset the level screws...then retension the cable.Not going down onto the smallest 3 cogs though means you have stuffed something up.Maybe cable has popped up somewhere or something similar.
PS...yes Mavic big spacer stays out,only the little 10 speed shim goes in on a 8-9-10 compatible shimano wheel.

jamessyc

Postby jamessyc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Yep the RS80 will be staying on the bike(sold the Mavics). Will try the adjustments tonight.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Check the Shimano tech data - I read it as 10 speed need no spacer. In shifting from Kyseriums to Ultegra 6600 the mechanic removed both spacers.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:07 pm

DarrylH wrote:Check the Shimano tech data - I read it as 10 speed need no spacer. In shifting from Kyseriums to Ultegra 6600 the mechanic removed both spacers.
Unless the wheels are 10 speed only you need to use the shim...Ultegra 6600 is 4 years old.It is 10 speed only hence no need for spacer.RS80 are 8/9/10 so they need the shim when assembling.
Shimano only made 10 speed only hubs for one model and went back to 8/9/10 speed quickly after.

jamessyc

Postby jamessyc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Followed "toolonglegs" advice...seems like everything is all shifting nicely now! Thanks!