Stripping a painted frame?

Crawf

Stripping a painted frame?

Postby Crawf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Hiya,

I've always loved the plain looks of a brushed or polished alloy frame with a clear coat but unfortunately there were no options in my price range and style when looking to buy - So I had to opt for a bike with a pretty average color scheme but with decent running gear.

So, I was wondering what would be involved in stripping off the paintwork and stickers back to the bare bones?

If anyone has done a home jobby I'd appreciate any advice on materials/solvents used?
(It's a 7005 alloy frame)

Thanks!

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 am

Jacobite
I have just completed stripping a steel frame with 4 coats of different coloured paint. I used a caustic based automotive stripper which is water soluble. It took a lot of work to remove each coat but I got there eventually. There are aircraft grade paint strippers which if they can be used on aircraft should be OK for a bike frame. One I found on the net is product number CH8930.
Check with the supplier Callington_Haven for suitability.
Chemical products should only be used after the appropriate MSDS (material_ safety_ data_ sheet) is consulted and all safety precautions followed.

oldtimer

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 pm

A good sandblast will get you back to bare metal quickly but may make it hard to polish :?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info, i'm gonna go the the paint stripper and angle brush route.
If it doesn't turn out then I'll look at a professional jobby.
I'll post up some before an afters assuming it doesn't turn to shite :)

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 am

Jacobite wrote:Thanks for the info, i'm gonna go the the paint stripper and angle brush route.
Do you mean a light sandpad on a angle grinder???

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 am

Jacobite,

I think you will mark the metal if use electric driven abrasives on aluminium. The paint stripper I used needs about 15 minutes on the paint before it works properly. I applied the stripper and then cleaned the paint off that was starting to lift. Then I kept reapplying the stripper and cleaning it off until the frame was down to mostly bare metal. I used fine wet and dry paper on the tubes to do the final polish before painting, but I had to use a wire brush in a drill on the steel lugs. There were slight wire brush marks on the lugs but most of these were removed with more wet and dry paper.

oldtimer

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 am

Yep was intending to use angle grinder or drill with metal brush attachments to get into those hard areas.
Do you remember what sand paper grades were suitable?
I'm intending to have a clear coat finish, so allot of sanding ahead to get it looking shmick no doubt.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Jacobite,
I used 240 grit and then 600 wet for the final polish. You might need to try some different grade papers on scrap aluminium and probably use 1000 grit with water for the final polish.

oldtimer

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Try some Autosol for the final polish Jacobite, it's done a great job on my chromed retro fork after the previous owner covered it with fine scratches using steelwool.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Will do guys, ta!

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 am

Mulger bill wrote:Try some Autosol for the final polish Jacobite, it's done a great job on my chromed retro fork after the previous owner covered it with fine scratches using steelwool.

Shaun
What is Autosol??? As in...industrial cleaner, polish, stripper, ???

Where can you get it from???

Also what sort of primer do you use after you have cleaned it to save it from screwing up before it is painted.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:09 pm

www autosol com au/MetalPolishes.html

I'd say Super Cheap will have it.

peter

Postby peter » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Don't forget safety glasses. They will be metallic dust everywhere once you start using power tools.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Well after the first basic strip its come up pretty damn well I thought.
This took me a couple of hours with only some paint stripper and a cloth to wipe it off...

Still a fair bit to take off in those hard to reach areas, and it's looking quite shiny already, should be good once polished!

fattima

Postby fattima » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:40 am

A good tip when using paint stripper is put the layer of striper on the lay a plastic bag (or any other plastic sheet) over the top. Leave it over night then peel the plastic away, the paint tends to stick to the plastic and lift straight off. Less messy than scrapping and tends to do it in one go, instead of a couple of treatments.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:57 pm

fattima wrote:A good tip when using paint stripper is put the layer of striper on the lay a plastic bag (or any other plastic sheet) over the top. Leave it over night then peel the plastic away, the paint tends to stick to the plastic and lift straight off. Less messy than scrapping and tends to do it in one go, instead of a couple of treatments.
Mostly came off within a few minutes, but certain areas it is set more into the grain and needed sanding/scalpel out.

This is post sanding...

Polish and clear coat to go!

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:42 pm

That looks AWESOME!!!

What sort of bike is it?
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:10 pm

It's a Cell Team. It did look like this...
I started polishing it, but it came up so shiny it just didn't look right, was really tinny looking and cheap :) so I roughed it up again - reverting to the brushed alloy look.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:22 pm

She looks amazing Jacobite, better than paint :)
uncle arthur wrote:That looks AWESOME!!!

What sort of bike is it?
There's a weekend project that'll totally confound the queens out there Unc. :twisted:
London Boy 29/12/2011

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 am

Mulger bill wrote:She looks amazing Jacobite, better than paint :)
uncle arthur wrote:That looks AWESOME!!!

What sort of bike is it?
There's a weekend project that'll totally confound the queens out there Unc. :twisted:
Exactly what I'm thinking ;)

So with a bit more info on exactly what sort of paintstripper, and how best to avoid getting it on the components, and I might have to look at doing just this very same thing.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 pm

Fitwer me I'd pull most of the bits off the frame then go nuts with masking tape or gaffer.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:42 pm

I wasn't to confident pulling the components off nor do I have the right tools, so I just bagged/taped them up.

All materials where gathered from Bunnings...

-Paint stripper (yellow tin, 1 litre, auto, marine, fibreg)
-1200 wet/dry sand paper
-Small paint brush & toothbrush
-Towel to wipe off stripper/paint
-Scraper for bits the stripper wont get off.
-2 x white knight clear coat
-Thick rubber gloves.
-Gaffa tape for areas that need real protecting, and masking tape.

I've decided to do the same to my rusted and chipped 15yo Shogun Trail Breaker, I used to ride this thing in high school... my nostalgic old beast. After initial tests it looks like its going to come up in a nice gunmetal gray shine.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:59 pm

Finished.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Very nice indeed.

How much did it all end up costing you...if you don't mind me asking. Atleast now you wont have to worry about any paint chips.

Mitch.

Until next time...