My Wilier le Roi build

RobM

Re: My Wilier le Roi build

Postby RobM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Fresh wrote:Did you have to face / chase the bottom bracket before install?
Nope, the alloy BB shell was clean and smooth as is. SRAM BB fitted in fine. I did have to add the spacer for GXP tho - lucky i read the instructions first haha.
__PG__ wrote:
punk_rob wrote: The Krylions are awesome too - once you wear the layer of wax they come with off - much better cornering and grip than the gatorskins. Lets see how they go with puncture protection.
What did you think? I got about four punctures on my Krylions in about 2.5 years before the inner tubes started showing through the tyre carcass in a big cut. I probably got about 5,000 km out of them (which is apparently what they are designed for). I loved them.
Yeah they are a great tyre. I previously had Gatorskins, and while i loved the puncture protection (in my case anyways) they always felt uneasy cornering and in the wet. Krylions have the same protection (again, in my experience) but loads more grip in dry and wet conditions. Have yet to have a puncture on these bad boys. The rear is starting to square off, so ill swap front-to-back and try and get some even wear out of them. Im very happy with them. I just hope the new ones branded Pro4 Endurance are the same. Ill probably go to 25mm wide when i buy new rubber...just for the comfort on open chip roads.

One thing to remember - pluck or cut off those little hairs on the tyres when you buy them new. The Krylions had them on the red stripe - but as the wheel rotated on the rear, those hairs actually touched the chain stay near the BB. It took me awhile to polish the red line out of the frame clear coat. If i had left it forever, it wouldve gone thru or permanently marked the clear coat i reckon - friction of the rubber hair at 100rpm for 1000's of kms.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:29 pm

punk_rob wrote:
Nope, the alloy BB shell was clean and smooth as is. SRAM BB fitted in fine. I did have to add the spacer for GXP tho - lucky i read the instructions first haha.
Did the spacer come with the frame, the groupset or you had to buy separately?

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Fresh wrote:
punk_rob wrote:
Did the spacer come with the frame, the groupset or you had to buy separately?
I bought a new SRAM BB. It comes with a spacer and the instructions tell you whether you need to use it or not depending on your bottom bracket type (eg GPX or BB30 or BB86 etc)

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Sweet deal, thanks! :D

Last bumped by RobM on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm.