Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

User avatar
nickj_d
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 am
Location: Sydney - Kellyville Ridge

Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby nickj_d » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 am

A mate of mine has an old alloy frame cannondale which he is wanting to get a repaint done on. He's a cycling newb and not keen on doing it himself (he's an engineer so he's not too good at that sort of stuff :D ). Am wondering if anyone knows someone in Sydney who will do repaint jobs for a reasonable price. He'd be looking for someone who will do all the strip and rebuild, not just the painting.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

User avatar
spirito
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby spirito » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:54 am

nickj_d wrote: Am wondering if anyone knows someone in Sydney who will do repaint jobs for a reasonable price. He'd be looking for someone who will do all the strip and rebuild, not just the painting.


What's a reasonable price? Strip, rebuild and nice paint is gonna be tough to do under $300, especially in Sydney.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

User avatar
nickj_d
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 am
Location: Sydney - Kellyville Ridge

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby nickj_d » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:34 pm

not sure what his price range is, but no idea where to look for someone to do it. If I can get some recommendations, I can pass the details onto my mate to make more enquiries.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

User avatar
spirito
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby spirito » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Peter at Star Enameller's (Bankstown area) - not cheap, be prepared for a long turnaround (3 to 6 months) but he's a true artist and top quality. You'll need to have someone else strip the bike down and build it up though. $300 and upwards.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

User avatar
Nate
Posts: 3160
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby Nate » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:33 pm

what are you after?
funky airbrush & cool designs?
just a single plain colour?

Maybe look through car mags - see who did the paint work on some of the more "experimental" cars
maybe duck into a few local shops, stick your head in - crack a few jokes to ask if they can paint a 2 wheeled car with no engine in it... maybe they have pics all over their walls of some of their work?
Could be a solid chance some local graffiti artist with some good skills is working in a shop & loves to be creative

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 4994
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby queequeg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:45 pm

spirito wrote:Peter at Star Enameller's (Bankstown area) - not cheap, be prepared for a long turnaround (3 to 6 months) but he's a true artist and top quality. You'll need to have someone else strip the bike down and build it up though. $300 and upwards.


Peter did my Steel Hillbrick frame & forks. He stripped it, fixed the dents, then did a baked enamel single colour respray with decals and clearcoat. Total cost was $270 (albeit this was a couple of years ago now). Oh, and yes, there was a long turnaround. He also went on holidays for a few weeks, so I think I ended up waiting about 4 months for it.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

User avatar
nickj_d
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 am
Location: Sydney - Kellyville Ridge

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby nickj_d » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:20 pm

thanks for the replies.

it's not a funky paint job, just a plain respray, single colour, and i'm guessing he'd be looking for a relatively fast turn around, rather than having the bike out of action for months.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

User avatar
munga
Posts: 6993
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: wowe
Contact:

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby munga » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:50 am

mr kleen and a bike shop?

Tony6463
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:02 am
Location: Bungendore.

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby Tony6463 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:37 am

The guys at Bike Culture on Rocky Point Rd in Sans Souci should be able to help. They got my old steel roadie resprayed. Can't remember the price but it was around $150 I think for frame and fork. I stripped it down myself so no cost there. If you are still looking give them a call 9593 4933.

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5130
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm

spirito wrote:Peter at Star Enameller's (Bankstown area) - not cheap, be prepared for a long turnaround (3 to 6 months) but he's a true artist and top quality. You'll need to have someone else strip the bike down and build it up though. $300 and upwards.


I got a quote from Peter about 6 months ago to respray a new carbon frame and I think he wanted about $550 (plus freight to/from Canb/Syd)

User avatar
Wayfarer
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:40 pm

tell him the colour looks good already, because more likely than not, he's using the 'i dont like the colour' to convince himself not to ride yet. Once the colour is done, he still probably won't ride for some other obscure reason. If he's serious about it though, it's not hard to do yourself; just take all the parts off (and sticky tape over the areas you can't take off), and get the finest sandpaper you can get from Bunnings. Sandpaper all the paint off (don't worry, sandpaper removes paint, not metal!) once he's down to the underneath layer, hang the frane from a coat hanger on the clothes line, and put on two layers of primer. Then a few coats of paint, just enough so it covers the whole bike. Then maybe some glitter, and finally a clear coat. Not hard to do at all; I did it without ever having used a spray can before; I'll link you to my facebook pictures of it;

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 2923_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 1418_n.jpg

(yeah, those are the spray cans in the background)
What are these salesmen peddling?

User avatar
damhooligan
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: melbourne
Contact:

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby damhooligan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Wayfarer wrote:tell him the colour looks good already, because more likely than not, he's using the 'i dont like the colour' to convince himself not to ride yet. Once the colour is done, he still probably won't ride for some other obscure reason. If he's serious about it though, it's not hard to do yourself; just take all the parts off (and sticky tape over the areas you can't take off), and get the finest sandpaper you can get from Bunnings. Sandpaper all the paint off (don't worry, sandpaper removes paint, not metal!) once he's down to the underneath layer, hang the frane from a coat hanger on the clothes line, and put on two layers of primer. Then a few coats of paint, just enough so it covers the whole bike. Then maybe some glitter, and finally a clear coat. Not hard to do at all; I did it without ever having used a spray can before; I'll link you to my facebook pictures of it;



If nickj_d 's friends wants to go DIY, i might have to correct a few thingy's .. :wink:

You don't need to sand all the paint off, it depends on the condition of the paint.
If you do wish to remove all the paint, doing it with a fine sanding paper wil take ages, a medium coarse sanding paper wil be heaps better. 8)

Also, sandpaper does remove metal !!!..
It might not be much , and may not be directly noticible, but it does sand away metal.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 13000
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Bike Addiction at Manly would be worth a call.

User avatar
Wayfarer
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 pm

damhooligan wrote:You don't need to sand all the paint off, it depends on the condition of the paint.
If you do wish to remove all the paint, doing it with a fine sanding paper wil take ages, a medium coarse sanding paper wil be heaps better. 8)

Also, sandpaper does remove metal !!!..
It might not be much , and may not be directly noticible, but it does sand away metal.

Don't need to, but should. It looks better, and ensures all the paint is straight, rather than having paint underneath some parts, and not other parts. Otherwise it looks like you have lugs where you don't. Medium is faster, but not better.. Holding the sandpaper in a circle around the tubes then doing a .. particular hand motion which goes up and down the tube eventually wears through the paint. Plus, removing the old paint makes the bike lighter!
What are these salesmen peddling?

User avatar
munga
Posts: 6993
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: wowe
Contact:

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby munga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:40 am

one poster has hipster glasses for an avatar, one poster paints bikes for money.



i still say get it powdercoated for $80 or so (unless it's a special frame) at someone like mr kleen, and then get your lbs/friends/self to re-assemble.
potentially best bang for buck if one is handy with the spanners

User avatar
damhooligan
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: melbourne
Contact:

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby damhooligan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Wayfarer wrote:<snip>Plus, removing the old paint makes the bike lighter!


munga wrote:one poster has hipster glasses for an avatar, one poster paints bikes for money.


Yep, that pretty much sums it up..

And Mr wayfarer, I could go in depth as to how what you posted is wrong and why, but I don't wanna go off topic too much...
So I wil leave as it is, feel free to think that your way is the wright way.. :P

p.s. if you do wanna debate my knowledge of paint, feel free to start a seperate thread.. :wink:

Now back on topic;

munga wrote:i still say get it powdercoated for $80 or so (unless it's a special frame) at someone like mr kleen, and then get your lbs/friends/self to re-assemble.
potentially best bang for buck if one is handy with the spanners



That is also worth considering, this way you keep the total costs down as well.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

User avatar
Wayfarer
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: SW Sydney

Re: Looking for someone in Sydney to do a repaint job

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:59 pm

I have actually done it, and it works my friend ;)
What are these salesmen peddling?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MattyK, singlespeedscott, Thoglette