Bike UV Protection

Tim

Bike UV Protection

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Still doting over the new family addition and am wondering if my carbon fibre bike would benefit from a coating of "Aerospace 303". I use this stuff on my plastic Kayak which sits outdoors, fully exposed all year round, and various other bits and pieces of outdoor gear. From all accounts 303 is good stuff, similar to Armoural only better and appears to have prevented my kayak from fading. Does anyone think it worthwhile on a bike?

ps. in a few months/weeks time I probably won't be in the slightest bit concerned, but I do like to look after my gear.

glennb

Re: Bike UV Protection

Postby glennb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:58 pm

It's interesting that plastic is all the rage now ... there was a time when people paid a premium for all metal derailers and shifters and brakes to avoid the "cheap" plastic parts in low end models that eventually failed.

Anyway, the kayak and bike frame will be different types of plastic, if the coating is a proprietary formulation I'd consult the manufacturer before applying it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Depending on what your kayak is made of there's more than UV to worry about. In full sun all day is a concern as roto-moulded kayaks can go 'soft' in high temperatures. Summer direct sun could be enough to cause the kayak to become distorted if not supported well.

Probably not an issue for your bike as carbon fibre uses a totally different type of plastic in the resin.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was just curious as to whether it is worth coating the bike but I'd imagine the epoxy (I think) resin in a quality frame would already be properly UV stabilised.
As for the kayak it is a good quality, Wilderness Systems boat, roto-moulded plastic and I'd also imagine UV stabilised. It has sat in the weather for nearly two years, upside down when not in use and supported with several pieces of timber and its own bow and stern. I am aware that polyethylene can warp in high temperatures but as yet have had no problems. Thanks.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Do they make CF kayaks? Probably would be very expensive if they did.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:53 pm

They sure do - flat-water racing kayaks, little surf-yaks and even sea kayaks. But at $2500 to $5000+, yes, expensive !
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 pm

If it's a brand-spanking new CF bike, I'd be a lot more worried about voiding the warranty by the
disassembly of the bike needed to effectively spray it. You'd probably have to pay the LBS to strip and re-assemble it.

The next thing I'd worry about is destroying what might be a perfectly valid excuse for an
upgrade about 5 years down the track. Not that I've seen any 5 or even 10 year old bikes
with faded paintwork, but just saying that every cloud has a silver lining.

Just get out and ride it, and if you happen to get it in the sun enough to fade the paintwork
in 5 years, you'll have got excellent value out of the bike.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks wombatK for putting some common sense into my head. How could I possibly be silly enough to want a bike to last a decent length of time. Yair, just get out and ride the thing and hope it fades quick. :D
As much as I'd like a CF kayak I can neither afford nor justify one. My plastic model is sort of an equivalent to a clunky old steel touring bike, not overly fast but strong and reliable. Now I think about it I can't really justify a CF bike either. There are however some very nicely made CF paddles I've been admiring that cost about as much as a cheap pushy. Maybe that's how I can present the next purchase to the "Boss", though I still haven't been brave enough to reveal the new bike to her yet, I hide it in a neighbor's shed.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Get it grubby then tell the GLW you are going for a drive to look at a cheap bike you saw advertised on the notice board at the supermarket. Return a suitable amount of time later with the bike in the car.

"I can't believe it was only $350, they were going for $1800 less than two years ago it's in near new condition..."
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Tim wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas. I was just curious as to whether it is worth coating the bike but I'd imagine the epoxy (I think) resin in a quality frame would already be properly UV stabilised.

The bike is already UV protected, no need to add anything.

Some 'naked' bikes are just carbon with resin, and this resin contains plenty of uv resistance.
The bikes that are not 'nude' are painted with automotive type paint over the resin, so they have pretty much twice the level of uv resistance..
So , I wouldn't worry about it .. :D

p.s., what is your new family edition ??
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:44 pm

The new addition is a Cannondale Synapse Sram Red. It is black and white in colour and I think the black is nude. You can't see any of the carbon weave but the black resin does have a bit of a strange irregular sort of mottled look under certain light conditions, you can see into the depth of the resin but it is not uniform in appearance, if that makes any sense.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Tim wrote:if that makes any sense.
And you got if for just $350 :shock: Doesn't just makes sense, it makes me wildly jealous :lol: :lol:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Tim wrote:The new addition is a Cannondale Synapse Sram Red. It is black and white in colour and I think the black is nude. You can't see any of the carbon weave but the black resin does have a bit of a strange irregular sort of mottled look under certain light conditions, you can see into the depth of the resin but it is not uniform in appearance, if that makes any sense.
It does and it doesn't.. :?

I'm thinking they painted the white over the 'nude carbon resin', followed by clearcoat over the whole frame.
What you see is probably clearcoat over 'nude carbon'.
But I have to see it to be sure.

But i'm thinking there is plenty of protection there.. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 pm

There is extra UV protection in Frameskins. They're a frame protecting Avery stone-chip film.

Might be a whole lot simpler, and waaay more logical protection.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

rjl3175

Postby rjl3175 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:18 pm

The frame is probably carbon reinforced epoxy, unlike poly olefins epoxy is not so badly degraded by sunlight.
Me, I use Mr. Sheen and reflect those rays right back at point of origin. 8)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm

I say do what you want but just "do no harm". You may be wasting good money but again, "do no harm". Also bear in mind that pro riders ride their CF bikes all day long under the sun...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:10 pm

sogood wrote:I say do what you want but just "do no harm". You may be wasting good money but again, "do no harm". Also bear in mind that pro riders ride their CF bikes all day long under the sun...
Yeah but they ride so fast the UV rays can't catch'em. :P
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 pm

...and they trade them every season, so they don't care.

Re. the kayak, uv degraded plastic goes weak and breaks up with no warning. Makes CF failure look like steel. I'd not be leaving it outside unless you want ut go like our outdoor furniture :P

Ask Cannondale. I reckon you'll find thw use auto lacquers but evn so i'd stull be storing it inside. Normal use you've got nothing to fear.