Shimano 2013

User avatar
mekore
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:45 am
Location: Melbourne

Shimano 2013

Postby mekore » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:40 am

Bad news!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/shi ... s-for-2013

shimano is going 11 speed!! will campy goes 12??

tiagra is now 10 speed, mountains goin 10 too, ultegra goes electric, mechanical STI will be the next down tube non-indexed shifter soon....

it wont be long untill we see Sora Di2 11 speed.....

Nobody
Posts: 8806
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 am

Agree, although you can still buy DA DT shifters in 9 speed last time I looked.

Problem is most of Shimano's quality end is race orientated. If it all gets too expensive and short lived, you could always change over to commuter stuff like Alfine 11 hub gears. I've still got some 7 speed bikes although 7 speed is starting to become harder to find. I think I'll try to hang on to 8 and 9 speed for some time if possible.

In years to come when they get to 14 speed rear, us older ones will be wondering what was so wrong with 9 speed.

User avatar
familyguy
Posts: 5767
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cremorne, NSW

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 am

And the Shimano 11's wont fit Shimano 10 hubs. Another expensive set of wheels for you early adopters, another cheap set of wheels for me :D

Jim

minez01
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:19 pm
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby minez01 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:55 am

The thing that I'm a bit curious about is the part about disk brakes - the cassette spacing and freehub issues IMO aren't too bad, but I'd like to see what their plan is for wheel designs and frame spacing to allow for the inclusion of disk brakes for road use (if I've read that article correctly). I also wonder how easily things like wheel changes can be achieved.

The article is interesting, but it is not the greatest of news. Technology in cycling seems to be taking off (just like all technology I suppose) and sooner or later we might find ourselves with a new bike every year, especially for those hardcore racers.

As a small side note, I'll be closely watching SRAM's response to all this happening, particularly with the upcoming release of Campag's new e-record (?) group being released in the near future.

User avatar
sherlock
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby sherlock » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:55 pm

familyguy wrote:And the Shimano 11's wont fit Shimano 10 hubs. Another expensive set of wheels for you early adopters, another cheap set of wheels for me :D

Jim


Was it clarified as to whether they'd used the Campy freehub design (i.e. Campy compatible wheels can be fitted) or whether they were going for a proprietary design?

User avatar
familyguy
Posts: 5767
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cremorne, NSW

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:45 pm

sherlock wrote:
familyguy wrote:And the Shimano 11's wont fit Shimano 10 hubs. Another expensive set of wheels for you early adopters, another cheap set of wheels for me :D

Jim


Was it clarified as to whether they'd used the Campy freehub design (i.e. Campy compatible wheels can be fitted) or whether they were going for a proprietary design?


Shimano to use Campagnolo freehub design? I dont reckon so. At least with Campagnolo you can fit 9-10-11 on any of their hubs from 9-speed onwards. Apparently Shimano are talking of a wider freehub body, hence no 10-11 compatibility.

Jim

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 9009
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 pm

familyguy wrote: Shimano to use Campagnolo freehub design? I dont reckon so. At least with Campagnolo you can fit 9-10-11 on any of their hubs from 9-speed onwards. Apparently Shimano are talking of a wider freehub body, hence no 10-11 compatibility.

Jim


I think the issue is whether the Shiamno 11sp will use Campagnolo 11sp spacing, or be different again.

User avatar
rkelsen
Posts: 4488
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby rkelsen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 pm

And will the chain be backwards-compatible, or will you need a shiny new $6,000 tool to install it?

User avatar
familyguy
Posts: 5767
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cremorne, NSW

Re: Shimano 2013

Postby familyguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:08 pm

MichaelB wrote:
familyguy wrote: Shimano to use Campagnolo freehub design? I dont reckon so. At least with Campagnolo you can fit 9-10-11 on any of their hubs from 9-speed onwards. Apparently Shimano are talking of a wider freehub body, hence no 10-11 compatibility.

Jim


I think the issue is whether the Shiamno 11sp will use Campagnolo 11sp spacing, or be different again.


Fair point. Campy 11 is 40.1mm@3.85mm spacing, Shimano 10 is 37.2mm@3.95mm spacing. To go to a wider freehub as Shimano may be doing means they may have to match the 3.85mm.

Jim

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sertse