Ultegra 6600 cassette spacers?

drubie

Ultegra 6600 cassette spacers?

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:26 pm

According to the tech docs, it looks like I might need some kind of wacky spacer before the cassette goes on the hub, and another one underneath the lock ring.

Why? And where do you get them?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cs-hg-1mm-sprocket-spacer/ is the right one for behind the cassette? Wiggle don't seem to have the spacer that goes under the lock ring... :evil:

(y'know, 10 speed campagnolo cassettes just pop on without all this futzing around...)
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

familyguy

Re: Ultegra 6600 cassette spacers?

Postby familyguy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:41 am

Thats the one. 9-speed cassettes are wider (yes, wider) than the 10-speed ones, so you've got to put the 1mm spacer on first to push it out (away) from the wheel. Otherwise you get the RD brushing spokes in first gear. Ask me how I know. Any 1mm spacer will do, my LBS got me one for a couple of bucks, it wasnt shaped like that, but it was a 1mm Shimano item.

The other end is just the typical thin notched/wavy washer, isnt it? Any LBS should have a few.

Jim

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:13 am

Ah, thanks Familyguy. Will check with the LBS today. I packed it out with a spacer from a proper cassette/freehub company, y'know, with proper deep splines and everything so the freehub doesn't chew out as if by design, but I will try to get the actual Shimano one today.

Seriously, the cassette is beautifully made, light, really nice but the design of the freehub interface is just garbage.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 am

The ones that come with the cassette are just a plain round spacer. The one under the lockring is a wafer thin washer and is normally on the lockring when you get it - it is so thin you might have missed seeing it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 am

DarrylH wrote:The ones that come with the cassette are just a plain round spacer. The one under the lockring is a wafer thin washer and is normally on the lockring when you get it - it is so thin you might have missed seeing it.

The one I have is just a simple round 1mm ring. And yes, the other ones tend to stick in the lockring threads and not get noticed.

DarrylH wrote:wafer thin

Jim