Drivetrain longevity - Chain Slip

Trev Campbell

Drivetrain longevity - Chain Slip

Postby Trev Campbell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Guys, My commuter/wet bike runs Shimao Sora drivetrain and recently I've been experiencing a bit of chain slip when really putting in some hard pedaling. I'm assuming that the drivetrain is worn. The gear is the original gear that came with the bike, it would have done about 15000 k's. How long should the drivetrain last ???? If I replace the cassette and chain do I also need to replace the chainrings ????

Thanks
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

janus77

Re: Drivetrain longevity - Chain Slip

Postby janus77 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 am

Assuming you've checked that the RD is aligned properly, go to a bike shop (if you don't have the tool) and check if your chain is worn... new chain will probably solve the issue.

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 am

Get a shop to look at it, or post photos. If you replace the cassette, replace the chain too. Chainrings usually last a bit longer if they've had a good life, but there's no way to tell based on the limited information given ;)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm

15,000km is a great run. I'd replace the lot: chainrings, chain, cassette. No way you'll get cassettes or chainrings to match with a new chain after that kind of distance.

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm

I also have Sora and experienced a little slippage and the lbs identified my drivetrain as needing a bit more lube than I was giving it. I now lube every 150km as a minimum with Finish Line Dry lube (its wet).

janus77

Postby janus77 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Oops, 15,000k's, good effort! Probably not going to be just chain wear then.
still if you're not sure just go to your LBS, or if you're feeling mechanically minded, it's not hard to replace the cassette, chainrings and chain yourself.. even the RD Pulleys if they're worn.