Suntour cassette; Broken teeth and lots of play = ?

slowlearner

Suntour cassette; Broken teeth and lots of play = ?

Postby slowlearner » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Found an old road bike on the side of the road the other day with a host of nice Jap Suntour components. It looked alright initially but closer inspection shows it has a missing gear on 2nd and 6th gears and the freewheel is displaying a LOT of movement in the bearings and is quite noisy. Can I assume that the cassette and free wheel are buggered beyond use?

If so, if there something else I can put on the suntour hub or will the wheel need a new hub/freewheel/cassette?

P.s. yes I know Suntour went belly up years back and part are like hens teeth.

darkhorse75

Re: Suntour cassette; Broken teeth and lots of play = ?

Postby darkhorse75 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 am

If its a screw on freewheel any other screw on freewheel should fit, if on the other hand its a suntour freehub you will have a hard time finding a suntour cassette to fit because they had their own unique spline pattern.

slowlearner

Postby slowlearner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 am

I think it's a suntour freewheel... :(

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

That's good then, so it looks like the hub on the right. You will need a suntour removal tool with either 2 or 4 notches depending on how many notches are in the freewheel. I'm sure a forum member could help you with this ( whereabouts are you) and old five or six speed freewheels are easily available.Image

slowlearner

Postby slowlearner » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:40 pm

fella at Champion Cycles at StMarys said the same thing. Getting wheels trued at the same time. All up it gonna be under $100 and I'm stoked. Thanx for the help.