Stripping a Hugi hub?

ldrcycles

Stripping a Hugi hub?

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I've got a Hugi front hub i want to strip and clean up but it hasn't got cones like a normal hub. Other than a 2mm grub screw in the picture, there's no obvious way to open it up. I've loosened the screw and tried removing the 'cone' it's in but it won't move (i didn't try pliers or anything as i don't want to mangle it). Any suggestions?

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

HappyHumber

Re: Stripping a Hugi hub?

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:51 pm

My approach / guess...

Try a bit of penetrating oil in and around the grub and what we'll call the "cone" (probably a cap of somesort though) Once soaked for a bit, some very light, judicious tapping with the blunt end of a screwdriver around the cone - see if anything dislodges.
- Kym
Infrequently reading & contributing these days. Still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:09 pm

This is only a very vague memory but may be worth considering...

After marinading in Penetrene or your brew of choice, loosen the grub screw off then hold one end of the axle and try to "unscrew" the bearing cover.

Disclaimer: Read the first paragraph again, proceed cautiously at your own risk :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

glennb

Postby glennb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 am

Can't use 6mm hex in the skewer slot?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 am

glennb wrote:Can't use 6mm hex in the skewer slot?

Thanks for that suggestion, don't know why i didn't think of it, i'll give it a go tomorrow night when i'm able.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

glennb

Postby glennb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 am

See how you go. Penetrating soak's sensible, looks a little rusty.