How Do U Adjust The Gearing On A Racer

Unko

How Do U Adjust The Gearing On A Racer

Postby Unko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:03 pm

ok then i have an ocr with sora gearing on it i was just wondering how u move the frount deralier. I can only use 1 to 5 gears on the middle frount cog. Its really enoying when I have to change up to the big frount cog for a little bit then change back to the middle cog. I have tried before and it didnt make muchof a difference. So dou have the trun the bolts one deralier much??? the rear deralier is easy to do i can do that one fine

Unko

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:55 pm

Can't be well explained by a few lines in a forum. Check out Park Tool's instructions.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Edit: Oops - too slow ..... :oops:

Try the Park Tools site: lots of useful info on how to adjust your derailleurs (F & R)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm

I have found Sheldon Browns site to be very useful as well,
http://sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html
Gear adjustment is one of those things which seem like a black art before you learn how, but once learned, is not that hard usually. Hope it all helps unko.
Dave
Merida Scultura 5000
Bianchi C2C Via Nirone

uncle arthur

Re: How Do U Adjust The Gearing On A Racer

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:24 pm

Unko wrote:ok then i have an ocr with sora gearing on it i was just wondering how u move the frount deralier. I can only use 1 to 5 gears on the middle frount cog. Its really enoying when I have to change up to the big frount cog for a little bit then change back to the middle cog. I have tried before and it didnt make muchof a difference. So dou have the trun the bolts one deralier much??? the rear deralier is easy to do i can do that one fine

Unko
Actually - that's quite normal - you shouldn't be able to go from biggest cog to smallest cog on the cassette in one fell swoop without changing on the chainrings - the chain isn't meant to bend through the extreme angles - if you are you're harming your drivetrain..... that grinding noise as the chain rubs on the dérailleurs and chainring teeth is actually bad and means change gears.

I find on the small chainring (your middle) I can go through the top 5 cogs on the cassette - then it's up to the big chainring, and back up one or two on the casette to be back in a similar ratio with further to go.

That said, adjusting the front dérailleur isn't difficult.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Unko

Postby Unko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 pm

thanks heaps people

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:10 pm

If you have a triple on the front you shoudl be able to get 2 thru 9 or 1 thru 8 no problems from the middle front chainring on a 9-speed rear transmission.