derailleur upgrade

iankenny

derailleur upgrade

Postby iankenny » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi, all new to the forum, and just getting back into cycling after about twenty years!

I'm upgrading an older mountain bike, and want to fit a new rear derailleur, the problem is the old one has a cheap and nasty no-name type in which the bracket that holds the derailleur actually clips over the axel and is held in place when the axel bolts are tightened.

The shimano XT that I want to fit doesn't have this, it instead has a threaded end designed to screw in a pre-formed bracket.

Is there anyway around this?

BTW, is it "derailleur" or "derailer"?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:17 pm

G'day iankenny,

Welcome to the forum.

It does not sound good at this stage. I think you're going to be up for a new frame, but it is hard to say until we see your current one. The "no name" derailleur doesn't fill me with hope though.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Call it RD if you like - rear derailleur - because it is a pain to type out each time ....)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Would THIS fit? From the description it gives, it sounds the like thing your after.

iankenny

Postby iankenny » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanx for the tip folks, I might give the adaptor a try before I go down the new frame path (although a new frame IS tempting!).

Will post the results here once I've tried for any others facing the same problem.