AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bicycle recalls

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Cyclingdeal — Road Mountain Bike Bicycle Cycling Adult Helmet

SKU A51

What are the defects?
Testing identified the harness may not meet all the performance requirements of the mandatory safety standard Trade Practices (Consumer Product Safety Standard)(Bicycle Helmets) Regulations 2001 Statutory Rules 2001 No. 279 as amended.

What are the hazards?
There is a possibility the helmet may not provide adequate protection to the wearer in the event of an accident.

What should consumers do?
Consumers should immediately stop using the product and contact Cyclingdeal at sales@cyclingdeal.com.au or on 03 9793 9188 for a full refund of purchased price.

Cycling is in my BNA

Sully

Postby Sully » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 pm

PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL - 2017 MERIDA SCULTURA CF2 CARBON FORKS

19/07/2017
Product Safety Recall - 2017 MERIDA Scultura CF2 Carbon Forks

Carbon Forks on certain 2017 Model year MERIDA Scultura bikes sold nation-wide between July 2016 and July 2017.

Defect

In some circumstances, the fork steerer tube of the full carbon fork has insufficient strength & the fork steerer tube might develop cracks below the stem or spacers.

Models subject to recall

MY 17 Scultura Disc 400 / Disc 400-Juliet
MY 17 Scultura 4000 / Disc 4000
MY 17 Scultura 4000 Juliet / Disc 4000
MY 17 Scultura 5000 / Disc 5000
MY 17 Scultura 6000
MY 17 Scultura Special Edition

Hazard

If the defect occurs whilst the bicycle is in use, this could result in losing complete control of the bike, resulting serious injury or death.

What to do

Consumers should stop using the bicycle immediately and contact their local MERIDA retailer to have a replacement fork fitted.

Click here to find your nearest MERIDA Dealer

Contact details

Contact Advance Traders on 1300 361 686 or visit http://www.advancetraders.com.au.

A copy of the recall notice is available online here for your information.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recall; SRAM recalls 7,000 Avid direct-pull brakes

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 pm

SRAM recalls 7,000 Avid SD7 mechanical rim brake/direct-pull brakes because a rivet can loosen.

This may only have a small impact on Australians, it is known that the brakes were sold in bike shops, in online shops and were specced on a BSO (ElliptiGO model 11R elliptical cycles).

This is not yet reported / elevated in Australia though I assume that SRAM would follow suit so the next steps if you have this brake is to contact your bike shop (get them to sort it out) and if that doesn't work, then contact SRAM Australia.

Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Specialized recalls 6,000 road bikes over fork concerns

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/ ... oYvLHyLmUk

WASHINGTON (BRAIN) — Specialized Bicycle Components is recalling about 5,500 road bikes in the U.S., plus about 360 in Canada and 260 in Mexico, because the bikes' composite forks can break.

The company issued an alert about the issue in December and the U.S. CPSC and Canada and Mexico officials issued a formal recall notice on Thursday. After the initial report, Specialized said the recall would affect as many as 13,000 bikes worldwide.

The recall involves alll 2018 model year Specialized Allez (Base), Allez Sport, and Allez Elite bikes. The recalled bicycles have aluminum frames and composite forks and were offered in several color combinations.

Consumer can contact Specialized dealers or Specialized at toll-free at 877-808-8154 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, or email ridercare@specialized.com. There is more information at specialized.com/us/en/safety-notices.

Specialized has received one report of cracking in the fork. No crashes or injuries have been reported. The company began reaching out to consumers and retailers in December about the issue and in January the company began taking pre-orders for the replacement forks. U.S. consumers with the affected bikes are also receiving $75 vouchers for Specialized merchandise.

The bikes were sold from July through December last year for between $750 and $1,200.

More information: CPSC recall notice | Specialized recall notice | Canada recall notice | Mexico recall notice.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:33 am

BMC Timemachine 01 2017 & 2018 model years bicycles and frame sets

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall ... frame-sets
What are the defects?

When using certain tyre widths on the 2017 and 2018 model year Timemachine 01 models, the distance between the front tyre and the down tube may not meet the required safety tolerance, and there may be contact between the frame and the tyre.
What are the hazards?

Contact between the tyre and the frame can pose an increased risk of the rider crashing.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Canyon recalls 2018 Spectral Full Suspension Mountain bike due to chainstay cracks.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/canyo ... call-alert

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/canyo ... call-alert

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Recall is for US only. From Rotorburn:
dropotaro wrote:Just got a reply from Canyon,

Thank you for your email. The recall you have read about affects US customers only. All other customers that were affected were contacted by Canyon a few months ago and the chainstays were replaced. The chainstay has since been redesigned.

Fingers crossed I'm in the all clear, will be keeping a closer eye on it tho.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bicycle recalls - South Australia RAA Promotional Bike Light

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Recall Notice: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall ... rt-program

These were handed out in schools by the Royal Automobile Association of South Australia (RAA) as part of their Street Smart Program. The product however has a defect that the thumb battery department is insecure.
The battery compartment is not adequately secured and the button batteries in the product are easily accessible.
The risk of ingestion of thumb batteries by toddlers. Consumers are asked to dispose this (in the normal rubbish) and then inform them via email so that they can track it. ssmart@raa.com.au

Cycling is in my BNA

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Bentnose wrote:I've seen plenty of people riding with the quick release in the undone position, they seem to think you just wind it up to get it tight, it would cause an issue then.
Last weekend a girl asked me for advice about fixing her bicycle. She had a Quick release with the tightening bolt missing. Apparently she'd been riding around for weeks like that..... major accident just waiting to happen.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm

PatNZ wrote:
Bentnose wrote:I've seen plenty of people riding with the quick release in the undone position, they seem to think you just wind it up to get it tight, it would cause an issue then.
Last weekend a girl asked me for advice about fixing her bicycle. She had a Quick release with the tightening bolt missing. Apparently she'd been riding around for weeks like that..... major accident just waiting to happen.
That’s a bit scary :shock:
No signature

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 pm

99 Bikes Pty Ltd — Pedal Pacer 2

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall ... al-pacer-2

The front wheel may dislodge from the front fork if the Quick Release Skewer is not properly tightened and secured.
Last edited by P!N20 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 pm

The above link didn't work for me. Try this: https://99bikes.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazo ... 21-web.pdf

Does this just mean the lawyer's lips aren't effective? Sounds like the bike is perfectly safe if the QR is tight and correct.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:31 pm

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:59 am

Specialized to issue recall and stop-ride notice on Tarmac SL7 bikes

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/special ... l7-recall/
Specialized looks set to issue a safety recall and stop-ride notice on all of its Tarmac SL7 bikes amidst concerns of a potential steerer tube failure.

A leaked safety recall notice from Specialized suggests “harsh frontal impacts, e.g., impacting a deep pothole with significant force, may put extraordinary stress on headset components and may initiate a crack in the fork’s steerer tube.” The new Tarmac design’s integrated cable routing features a round steerer tube, but an unconventional headset compression ring that may be acting as a stress concentrator in some situations.

In the leaked recall notice, Specialized asks riders to “stop riding your Tarmac SL7 and bring it to your nearest authorised Specialized retailer.” The recall notice also lays out a remedy for affected customers: “Your retailer will replace the current expander plug with a new extended plug and upgrade the compression ring to the newer-style, two-piece compression ring if your bike is not already equipped with one.” More specifically, that new compression plug will be far longer and support more of the steerer tube than the original one, and there will now also be a stainless steel sleeve in between the outer surface of the steerer tube and the slotted compression ring to keep any sharp edges from digging into the carbon.
The leaked notice explicitly lists the new Tarmac SL7 and bikes sold between July 2020 and September 2021 as the only models affected. The previous-generation Tarmac SL6 (which used external routing and a conventional headset up front) and the now-discontinued Venge aren’t included in the recall, although it’s unclear at this point why the Venge isn’t affected since it uses the same routing configuration at the Tarmac SL7.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:14 pm

Shimano voluntary recall of 680,000 Hollowtech cranks:

Affects models:
ULTEGRA FC-6800
FC-R8000
DURA-ACE FC-9000
FC-R9100
FC-R9100-P

Affects this models stamped with these letters:
KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Reason:
A number of failures resulting in serious injury reported (and likely overtime this resulted in pressure on the company for action).

Process:
Process is that affected customers book their bike (parts) in with a bike shop / Shimano dealer who will inspect and decide if it needs to be replaced. The dealers get some cash for this inspection.

For customers with an aftermarket crank (i.e. stages powermeter) there is some coverage for the pedal but not the powermeter.

Shimano Australia Hollowtech Recall Info

Off to the bike shop for me.
Cycling is in my BNA

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:39 pm

Very ordinary situation all round imho. It's NOT a recall - just an a*se-covering inspection. It's hardly voluntary - they've known about it for how long? Very poor, late response from shimano, obviously forced on them by their lawyers.

And on the other shoe - it's just a known issue now - it's had so much publicity. Owners and bike stores should be aware of the tell tale signs of failure.

I just bought a new DA 9000 52t chainring to go with the same crankset. It's a beautiful piece of kit. But obviously not immune to failure under some circumstances.