I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Duck!
Expert

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby Duck! » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:09 pm

There are usually three or four different length nuts supplied. Still doesn't stop some designers coming up with fork crowns that don't accommodate the longest nut.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:17 am

Duck! wrote:There are usually three or four different length nuts supplied. Still doesn't stop some designers coming up with fork crowns that don't accommodate the longest nut.

Do the nuts usually come with them? I may have received OEM ones.
No signature

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Bentnose wrote:
Duck! wrote:There are usually three or four different length nuts supplied.

Do the nuts usually come with them? I may have received OEM ones.

That's what I said....

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Swapped forks on my mtb the other day, turned out the steerer on the new forks was a bit longer, and i had no spacers on me. Hmmm...

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Building my first bike from scratch. Lovin the constant online shopping deliveries, work has suddenly become christmas every day! :D

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:13 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Swapped forks on my mtb the other day, turned out the steerer on the new forks was a bit longer, and i had no spacers on me. Hmmm...

I at least spray-painted my PVC pipe black. :)

I did a good one last weekend...

My vision impaired mate John is doing a big charity ride soon and his pilot for that wants to use John's race tandem rather than the loaner bike that he usually uses (long story).

So I did some work to get his loaner bike (which is a better bike in many respects) ready. The loaner bike is a custom built Kotzur but the key to the story is that it is kitted out with a 10spd drivetrain, whereas John's bike is 9spd. Not a problem I'd fitted up one of John's race wheels with a new 10spd cassette, and fiddled with the rear disc spacing to get it to match using an adapter to fit a disc to the drum-brake threads on the hub. I then adjusted the gears to make sure they were doing the right thing, and then put the bike away for the night.

In the morning I put the bike in the car, grabbed the race wheels and went out to the race. Mechanically the race was fairly uneventful except for the one attack we put in, where we got some chain jumping under maximum load, which I put down to a mis-match of cassette and chain.

Perhaps it was, but it was different to what I thought. When I got home I saw the other rear wheel there and saw that the cassette looked cleaner than I remembered. I then saw that we had been using the wrong wheel all morning, with a 9spd cassette on a 10spd system. :oops:

It was surprising that it worked at all really. Perhaps it was chattering away but it was so far back that I didn't notice...

Cheers,

Cameron

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 am

Got stranded in a downpour on Melb Cup weekend and the drivetrain started making all kinds of noises. Chain was nearly at time to replace so did the easiest thing first and got rid of it. Still some kind of noise there so start taking a closer look and the wheel freehub looks like it has a little side to side rock in it, seems the nut has come loose a bit, time for a wheel service. Another test ride and still there is a clicking noise coming at about 3 o'çlock on the drive side crank. A month or so before I took the cranks out and the press fit BB came apart, there was a plastic collar stuck to the crank spindle and the rest was still in the frame, so rather than replace it I just cleaned it up and pushed it back together. Looks like I should of replaced it at the time. Order a new one and fit it put the wheels back and realise the the Gamin speed cadence mount must of moved and had been hitting the spoke magnet every wheel revolution :oops: . On the plus side the bike is now in great nick for summer.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:25 pm

danny the boy wrote:Got stranded in a downpour on Melb Cup weekend and the drivetrain started making all kinds of noises. Chain was nearly at time to replace so did the easiest thing first and got rid of it. Still some kind of noise there so start taking a closer look and the wheel freehub looks like it has a little side to side rock in it, seems the nut has come loose a bit, time for a wheel service. Another test ride and still there is a clicking noise coming at about 3 o'çlock on the drive side crank. A month or so before I took the cranks out and the press fit BB came apart, there was a plastic collar stuck to the crank spindle and the rest was still in the frame, so rather than replace it I just cleaned it up and pushed it back together. Looks like I should of replaced it at the time. Order a new one and fit it put the wheels back and realise the the Gamin speed cadence mount must of moved and had been hitting the spoke magnet every wheel revolution :oops: . On the plus side the bike is now in great nick for summer.

I had that ticking the other week- thought it was the magnet- nope, one of the zip ties had broken and the whole cadence/speed sensor was flopping around, then had to break the remaining zip tie to remove the sensor.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:36 am

Because I use my commuter to tow an extra 30kg of little boy & trailer I decided to upgrade my front brakes to 180mm when I next had to replace the disc. Had all the parts for a while. Went to put it together yesterday but couldn't it to fit properly - eventually figured out the IS to postmount adapter I had bought was a rear rather than front :oops:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 am

Quick bit of mechanics in the garage this morning. File out dropouts on some old forks to fit a modern wheel: check. Install tyres and inflate x2: check. Shorten brake cable, snip, darnit, snipped outer and inner in one hit. "Luckily" the outer was long enough to trim some more off to allow the inner to protrude far enough to reach the calliper. :oops:

Edit: also adjusted up a kerbside 12" for my littlest yesterday. Promptly fixed this on the Department store bike:
Who can see what is wrong?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 am

bychosis wrote:Quick bit of mechanics in the garage this morning. File out dropouts on some old forks to fit a modern wheel: check. Install tyres and inflate x2: check. Shorten brake cable, snip, darnit, snipped outer and inner in one hit. "Luckily" the outer was long enough to trim some more off to allow the inner to protrude far enough to reach the calliper. :oops:

Edit: also adjusted up a kerbside 12" for my littlest yesterday. Promptly fixed this on the Department store bike:
Who can see what is wrong?

No cards in the spokes?

Also, you may want to flip that lock washer around, maybe...

1talian.steel

Postby 1talian.steel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Wheel is built 2 cross rather than radially laced?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:34 pm

1talian.steel wrote:Wheel is built 2 cross rather than radially laced?

Could be :D , but my money is on the lawyer tag washers not being on the correct side of the fork.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:46 pm

bychosis wrote:Quick bit of mechanics in the garage this morning. (Snip)... Shorten brake cable, snip, darnit, snipped outer and inner in one hit. "Luckily" the outer was long enough to trim some more off to allow the inner to protrude far enough to reach the calliper. :oops:

Came very close to doing that on my own bike yesterday (and I'm supposed to know what I'm doing!) :oops: Fitting new brake cable to the commuter, end of the outer was a bit daggy & kinked where it fed into the caliper, so I decided to trim it off. Stopped myself just before I cut through to the inner cable. Phew!

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Put on the crank extractor but forgot about the crank bolt.

Tested the maximum limits of the alloy treads of the crank arm. Actually it is not that much harder to pull than some of the frozen spindle taper on crank.....

Consolation: it is the left-hand drive crank.....
Last edited by slidetaker on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:58 am

bychosis wrote:
1talian.steel wrote:Wheel is built 2 cross rather than radially laced?

Could be :D , but my money is on the lawyer tag washers not being on the correct side of the fork.

Photobucket playing silly beggars:

Last night was attempting to glue some foam onto a saddle frame prior to recovering. This morning I'm picking contact adhesive from my fingers. Egads, what a mess!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:12 pm

Straightened my derailleur hanger with my precision tool...
(Salvaged from a hard rubbish bike that also provided my truing stands)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:28 pm

Did you check the wheel was true first ? :D

Good idea though, I have been meaning to check the hanger on my commuter is straight & your method should do the trick nicely

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:27 pm

Definitely a true wheel, it was the guinea pig in the truing stand I mentioned. Although if you rotated it to use the same point on the rim, the trueness (truth?) wouldn't matter.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Picked up the soccer team's soccer balls on Friday. 24 of them, so decided the compressor was better than hand pumping them. While I was at it was time to fix some tyres and punctures.

Added some sealant to the completely flat MTB tubeless tyres and inflated with the compressor, all good - except 5min later the front was flat again becuase I didn't tighten the valve properly. Fixed and redone. Turned the compressor off as its a bit noisy, and once the tubeless is done, other stuff doesn't take much air.

Got my son to help fix a tube puncture, he squeezed out enough glue for about 6 patches. I guess he's only used to squeezing out toothpaste!

Popped a repaired tube into another wheel, added a little air so not to pinch the tube when I seated the tyre. deflated it, the promptly reinflated before seating the second side of the tyre.

Finally was a tyre swap on the commuter roadie, which funnily enough went to plan, but by that time the compressor was low on air and only got the tyres to about 50psi.

Not sure if that counts as a successful session.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Well, went out to the garage this morning and found a flat tyre. Grrrrr. The same damn tyre that has been taunting me. Think it's the third, or even fourth attempt. Each time has been a different tube or patch. This time an old patch failed. MAybe I should quit at this game.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am

I reglued the failed patch, installed the tube and pumped it up. Ten min later pssshshhhh. Appears regluing a patch doesn't work! Different tube and it's been properly inflated for 48hrs. Finally. I checked and it was last ridden in Oct 14 and has had the leak since then with a few repair attempts.

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:41 pm

So I had this annoying squeak when I stood up on the pedals and sometimes when seated. I had cured a similar irritation some time ago by tightening the compression bolt on the steering tube. Did that. Still squeaking.
Checked stem bolts. Still squeaking.
Removed saddle and seat post, replaced and re-tightened. Still squeaking.
Checked chainring bolts. Still squeaking.
Lubed chain. Cleaned and lubed jockey wheels. Still squeaking.
Disassembled and greased pedals. Still squeaking.
Checked I'd tightened pedals. Still squeaking.
Removed cranks, cleaned, re-greased. Still squeaking.
Bugger - replaced bottom bracket. The old ones had "mountain" on them which probably accounted for my hill climbing capacity (not!). New ones have "road" on them so I'm expecting overall average speed increase (not!). Confident that this will have solved the by now significant annoyance, went for a ride today. Still squeaking!!!!
After a calming post ride coffee and muffin, had a thought, squeaking away up a little hill.
Got off and tightened the rear skewer - silence! :D :oops: :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:10 pm

chalkie wrote:Got off and tightened the rear skewer - silence! :D :oops: :roll:

If it's any consolation, you made me laugh :D In my case it was actually the bottom bracket, the bearings were creaking in the cups.

OK, my story. The shifting on my road bike has been trouble free and reliable for the last 2 1/2 years.

Until Thursday night. When downshifting into second-to-granny gear up Battle Bolevarde Seaforth I felt something not-quite-right, and then the gears were hunting and crunching and auto-shifting. Then a massive crunch and slip out of the saddle taking off at the lights crossing the top of Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation. I managed to get it to stop slipping by tuning the cable tension. Had to spin or grind the rest of the way home as I only had front shifting.

Replacing the cable today, it took me half an hour just to weasel the end out of the shifter. There were only four strands left intact, the rest of it had turned into a massive steel hairball and there were little fragments of cable about a centimetre long floating loose and preventing me from inserting the new cable.

Note to self: change cables annually. You don't want to be stuck at the far end of West Head with inoperable gears.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:Replacing the cable today, it took me half an hour just to weasel the end out of the shifter. There were only four strands left intact, the rest of it had turned into a massive steel hairball and there were little fragments of cable about a centimetre long floating loose and preventing me from inserting the new cable.

How many strands were implanted in your fingers