I'm a champion bike mechanic...

fat and old

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby fat and old » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Well not quite mechanic...haven't got that far. Ordering spares on line turned into a feeding frenzy as usual. Got new brake cables and figure I'd do the gears as well. Ordered. Paid for. Done. My bike is Di2 :oops:

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:55 pm

I bought an ancient road bike for leaving at my local train station when I CBF riding to work. The theory being that if it gets knocked, I just buy another "gumtree bike". Thought I'd get a road bike as then I could use the worn 700c tyres hanging on my garage wall and keep costs to a minimum.

When I got it home and tried replacing the perished tyres, I found out that 27" tyres are (were?) a thing. I've now spent more on a set of tyres ($30) than I spent on the entire bike ($25).

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm

fat and old wrote:Well not quite mechanic...haven't got that far. Ordering spares on line turned into a feeding frenzy as usual. Got new brake cables and figure I'd do the gears as well. Ordered. Paid for. Done. My bike is Di2 :oops:
If you're still somewhere around the corner from me, let me know and I'll come and grab the cables from you. Some of us still use that old-fangled cable technology.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Fitted up a mate's S-Works Tarmac with a complete new 9100 groupset (all bar a 1'st generation 11 speed 105 crankset).
Oooow it's nice stuff.
No problems mixing the 1'st gen. 5800 crankset with 2'nd gen. 9100 front derailleur. The 105 crankset we fitted with 39/53 Blackspire rings. They change beautifully and match the black 105 cranks very nicely.
Having come from 10 speed 7900 to this he is a very happy man.
Took 'er out for a 50 km test run and everything works like a charm.
Another matter, Shimano recommend max. rear cog size of 30T. We fitted an 11-32 cassette and all is well. Plenty of chain wrap and chain length at both ends of the cogs.
A last point of interest was that a Wipperman chain wouldn't run very smoothly across the pulley wheels, nor did a 105 chain. The KMC X11 SL chain worked perfectly. No idea why.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Tim wrote:Fitted up a mate's S-Works Tarmac with a complete new 9100 groupset (all bar a 1'st generation 11 speed 105 crankset).
Oooow it's nice stuff.
No problems mixing the 1'st gen. 5800 crankset with 2'nd gen. 9100 front derailleur. The 105 crankset we fitted with 39/53 Blackspire rings. They change beautifully and match the black 105 cranks very nicely.
Having come from 10 speed 7900 to this he is a very happy man.
Took 'er out for a 50 km test run and everything works like a charm.
Another matter, Shimano recommend max. rear cog size of 30T. We fitted an 11-32 cassette and all is well. Plenty of chain wrap and chain length at both ends of the cogs.
A last point of interest was that a Wipperman chain wouldn't run very smoothly across the pulley wheels, nor did a 105 chain. The KMC X11 SL chain worked perfectly. No idea why.
Those KMC X11SL chains are worth their money. Love them. Run very smoothly.

I had to do some front derailleur adjustment - but it has no barrel adjuster on the cable, had shift to the small chain ring, adjust the limit screw and then adjust the cable tension. When done, adjust the limit screw back and shift back to the big chain ring. All quiet again.

Apart from that, cannot complain. The bike is running very smoothly and quiet. I could change the RD back to DA9000 (it is a medium cage Ultegra 8000 now) but given I'm likely making two more trips overseas with that bike, might as well leave it as is then I can use whatever cassettes I want.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 pm

R9100, R8000 and 5801 (little-known late-model update to the current 105 series) front derailleurs in theory don't need a barrel adjuster, because they have a funky rotating cable anchor driven by a grub screw for on-board tension adjustment.

There's still a bit of a knack to setting up, but they're easier than the long-arm 9000/6800/5800 models.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 am

g-boaf wrote:Those KMC X11SL chains are worth their money. Love them. Run very smoothly.
Yes, very good chains. Even the cheaper X10.93 or X11.93 run nicely.
I became a KMC fan after 10 speed Dura Ace chains were discontinued.
They run more quietly than Ultegra chains and give me at least 5000km's of reliable useage.
Duck! wrote:R9100, R8000 and 5801 (little-known late-model update to the current 105 series) front derailleurs in theory don't need a barrel adjuster, because they have a funky rotating cable anchor driven by a grub screw for on-board tension adjustment.

There's still a bit of a knack to setting up, but they're easier than the long-arm 9000/6800/5800 models
I learnt how to setup the 9000 a few years ago which is not dissimilar to the 9100 procedure.
It really is a case of RTFM and follow it to the letter.
I like the on-board, grub screw tensioning adjustment. Particularly the alignment marks on the derailleur body. The only anomaly I found was that when the marks were aligned and limit screws set there was no cage movement between the Low and Low Trim position. A bit more fiddling though and everything worked perfectly.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm not a champion bike mechanic. I've had a horror week.

Firstly I tried carrying a sign with one arm while riding my bike. The heavy sign didn't turn a corner with my bike, went into spokes, then seat stay. Frame out of action now until repair.

Bought replacement bike (was due one anyway). Set it up on my bike stand. I must not have secured the rear wheel/skewer properly, because at a crit the rear wheel locked up under power and spat me over the bars. The wheel was out of the drops so I can only presume the chain tension pulled it loose. Lesson - no more tightening QRs while holding wheel up against bike in workshop stand. Do it on the ground.

Then tonight I went to change the wheels on my wife's bike, a Giant Liv. I've not changed them yet. I lent on the QR and it took a huge effort to get the lever to bend. Mainly because - you guessed it - I was bending it. Instead of turning it (who comes up with these crazy ideas?)

I feel like giving up.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:10 pm

jules21 wrote:I'm not a champion bike mechanic. I've had a horror week.

Firstly I tried carrying a sign with one arm while riding my bike. The heavy sign didn't turn a corner with my bike, went into spokes, then seat stay. Frame out of action now until repair.

Bought replacement bike (was due one anyway). Set it up on my bike stand. I must not have secured the rear wheel/skewer properly, because at a crit the rear wheel locked up under power and spat me over the bars. The wheel was out of the drops so I can only presume the chain tension pulled it loose. Lesson - no more tightening QRs while holding wheel up against bike in workshop stand. Do it on the ground.

Then tonight I went to change the wheels on my wife's bike, a Giant Liv. I've not changed them yet. I lent on the QR and it took a huge effort to get the lever to bend. Mainly because - you guessed it - I was bending it. Instead of turning it (who comes up with these crazy ideas?)

I feel like giving up.

Hope you are alright. :shock:

Do those Giant Liv bikes have those horrid ratchet style QR skewer tightening system? About the worst thing ever! Especially if you have to change a tyre in the pouring rain.

Hang in there!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:
jules21 wrote:I'm not a champion bike mechanic. I've had a horror week.

I feel like giving up.

Hope you are alright. :shock:

Do those Giant Liv bikes have those horrid ratchet style QR skewer tightening system? About the worst thing ever! Especially if you have to change a tyre in the pouring rain.

Hang in there!
Some do, some don't depending on the model; Liv isn't a particular model, it's the branding for Giant's entire range of women's bikes.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:44 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Hope you are aright. :shock:

Hang in there!
Are these like the DT swiss RWS Skewers? I actually like these skewers. I run a thru-axel version on my commuter (10x135mm), which works really well. The skewer can’t be accidentally knocked open, and you don’t have ti much around with getting just the right clamping force. You can also reposition the lever independently.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:19 am

queequeg wrote:
Are these like the DT swiss RWS Skewers?
They are the DT RWS skewers, just with a different badge on the end. ;-)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Duck! wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Are these like the DT swiss RWS Skewers?
They are the DT RWS skewers, just with a different badge on the end. ;-)
Does that mean they are cheaper to buy?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 pm

queequeg wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Hope you are aright. :shock:

Hang in there!
Are these like the DT swiss RWS Skewers? I actually like these skewers. I run a thru-axel version on my commuter (10x135mm), which works really well. The skewer can’t be accidentally knocked open, and you don’t have ti much around with getting just the right clamping force. You can also reposition the lever independently.
+ 1
The RWS system is fantastic - have it on all my road bikes (bar one) and my MTBs.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 am

Rebuilt a bike on the weekend with 'new' parts. Carefully adjusted the saddle to horizontal while on the stand. Tests ok around the driveway. Off on a ride this morning and it felt like riding up hill. bike stand didn't hold the bike horizontal did it? No problems, quick trail side adjust - and pointed the nose too far down didn't I.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 am

Duck! wrote:They are the DT RWS skewers, just with a different badge on the end. ;-)
I was a bit worried seeing duck post on this thread, but fortunately it wasn't confession time :D

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Changed the rear derailleur cable after just over 7,500km. It had started to fray in the shifter. The PTFE coated cables last around 50% longer than the polymer coated cables (which I don't use, they came with the groupset).

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 pm

I've been hearing a noise coming from my front wheel at low speeds. Concerned it was a spoke, checked spoke tension and all good. Back to the drawing board. Put up with it for a few months and managed to figure out what it was. A 3m sekuclip spoke reflector
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:16 pm

WhingingPom wrote:
fat and old wrote:Well not quite mechanic...haven't got that far. Ordering spares on line turned into a feeding frenzy as usual. Got new brake cables and figure I'd do the gears as well. Ordered. Paid for. Done. My bike is Di2 :oops:
If you're still somewhere around the corner from me, let me know and I'll come and grab the cables from you. Some of us still use that old-fangled cable technology.
oops....just saw this. Sorry mate, still around the cnr but my mate put the snags on them straight away.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Upgraded a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 from mechanical Dura Ace 9000 to SRAM Red E-Tap. Working great, except I now have holes in the frame where the mechanical gear cables used to go.

I know there are rubber caps to go in these three holes (two at the front, one at the back) but I've been unable to locate any of them, not from Giant stores or anywhere else.

Anyone know where I could find them? At the moment I've just got tape over them to stop anything getting inside the frame.

I was given a couple of non Giant ones which didn't end up fitting at all.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Let me know if you find any. My frame (Boardman, not giant) has lots of holes that i would like to fill

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Moruya Cycles are a Giant dealer and stock an amazing array of spare parts.
I can't find what you're looking for on their site but it might be worth contacting them.
Duck works in a Giant dealership. It's quite possible he has done similar conversions as yours.
Sorry about the massively long link but somewhere in there should be something that fits the bill;
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=rubb ... GH908GJ3M:
Search for cable hole plugs, it's the sort of thing electricians use. There must be something out there.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:Upgraded a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 from mechanical Dura Ace 9000 to SRAM Red E-Tap. Working great, except I now have holes in the frame where the mechanical gear cables used to go.

I know there are rubber caps to go in these three holes (two at the front, one at the back) but I've been unable to locate any of them, not from Giant stores or anywhere else.

Anyone know where I could find them? At the moment I've just got tape over them to stop anything getting inside the frame.

Not sure exactly what you want but have a look at http://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Ca ... il/3-42707

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:Upgraded a Giant TCR Advanced SL1 from mechanical Dura Ace 9000 to SRAM Red E-Tap. Working great, except I now have holes in the frame where the mechanical gear cables used to go.

I have a collection of assorted grommets and plugs. Ping me some pics of the apprpiate holes & I'll see what I've got.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:57 pm

g-boaf wrote:Anyone know where I could find them?
I just googled 'cable grommets' and bought an assorted pack - I think from Jensen USA.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.