I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 pm

New SLX 1x11 drivetrain arrived Friday 8)

Did the install today.

Cut the chain a link or two short :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:20 am

Mulger bill wrote:New SLX 1x11 drivetrain arrived Friday 8)

Did the install today.

Cut the chain a link or two short :roll:
How did you do that?
you only have to wrap it around one chainring
and over the largest Cassette Cog , and thru the clutch Derrailleur
really , really hard to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! up
plus with joining quicklinks ... Even for Shitmano.....
you could have ridden it long and recut, without issues
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Jack - without the wheel installed, it would be easy

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Followed the standard procedure, ring and big cog without the mech and add a link. Get the feeling my hand slipped between measuring and grabbing the chainbreaker
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Followed the standard procedure, ring and big cog without the mech and add a link. Get the feeling my hand slipped between measuring and grabbing the chainbreaker
No big deal, we've all done it. Or cut cable housing just that little bit too short, or crimped the crimp end just that little bit too much until its no longer recognizable as a crimp end. No biggie, just means you have a spare, short-ish chain floating around.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Followed the standard procedure, ring and big cog without the mech and add a link.
For future reference, that's a crap method of chain measurement. I don't care if it's suggested by some component manufacturers, it's still a crap method. Always include the derailleur in your measuring to ensure you've got a margin for safety, especially if rear suspension is involved.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am

Duck! wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Followed the standard procedure, ring and big cog without the mech and add a link.
For future reference, that's a crap method of chain measurement. I don't care if it's suggested by some component manufacturers, it's still a crap method. Always include the derailleur in your measuring to ensure you've got a margin for safety, especially if rear suspension is involved.
i'm with this, that method may have been good when there was 2 chainrings and 5 to 9 speed casstte , with a narrow range , and road short cages , it not work on modern mountain bikes ... see link
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... gth-sizing
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am

Bit of sa long lead up, but here goes ; Just before Xmas and cycling holiday to Qld, discover a cracked seat tube on bike :cry: Sorted by hiring a bike, and then after holiday, buy a Kenisis frame to swap my bits over, including dynamo system.

Anyway, bits swapped, new bike going, plenty of riding, and as it's summer, no need to get dynamo system going.

End of summer approaching, better get my finger out. Start hunting high and low in shed for light system, as need to get new connectors. Can't find it for love nor money. Waste 45 min, looking, looking, looking :?:

Damn, can't find it. Maybe I threw it out by accident.

Nope :roll: Still on the old frame .... :oops: :oops: :oops:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:42 am

My big chainring is worn. It's been through several chains and has recently been spitting the chain off when shifting, especially when in one particular cog on the back. It has not been a big problem I just had to be bit careful when shifting. I bought a new chainring and was waiting for the current chain to wear out to replace them both together.

However inevitably I was not careful when shifting once too often, and this time the chain got tangled up and in the process I managed to kink it. Ok not a big problem, it was still working well enough and I pressed on, I still had 15km to go to get to work. In fact it was working so well that I pretty much forgot I was supposed to be nursing it.

Towards the end of my commute I have a choice of two bridges to cross the railway lines near the MCG. One has a gentle slope is nice and wide but often has other foot and cyclist traffic. The other is narrow and steep and more fun. Like a fool I made my usual choice for the more fun option. Of course this meant changing to the biggest cog and in doing so I suspect the kink in the chain caused it to overshift into the spokes. Now I've managed to achieve a bent derailleur hanger, two broken spokes, on top of the kinked chain, all because I was too cheap to change the ring and chain sooner.

Cheers,

Cameron.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 am

I took my MTB out yesterday for a long, slow ride. The long part was planned, the slow part not so much. Early on in the ride, I tried to shift on to the big dog, and the front derailleur flatly refused to co-operate. I briefly considered the possibility of stopping to adjust it, and then I thought about the very real risk (I understand my limitations) of making it worse instead of better, and so I kept on going.

I waited until I got home before looking at the problem, and it took me about ten seconds to fix - without tools - by simply adjusting the cable adjuster. I don't know if I screwed it in or out, but, if it had made things worse, I would have tried the opposite way.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Philistine wrote:I took my MTB out yesterday for a long, slow ride. The long part was planned, the slow part not so much. Early on in the ride, I tried to shift on to the big dog, and the front derailleur flatly refused to co-operate. I briefly considered the possibility of stopping to adjust it, and then I thought about the very real risk (I understand my limitations) of making it worse instead of better, and so I kept on going.

I waited until I got home before looking at the problem, and it took me about ten seconds to fix - without tools - by simply adjusting the cable adjuster. I don't know if I screwed it in or out, but, if it had made things worse, I would have tried the opposite way.
Whats a big Dog???
Single ring is where its at...
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:12 pm

jackthelad wrote:
Whats a big Dog???
Single ring is where its at...
48 teeth on my MTB. Not really such a big dog - more a Collie than a Great Dane! Even so I missed being able to use it when the alternative was 38 teeth.

I have to disagree with you about single rings. My first "good" bike (more years ago than I like to remember) had a 46 tooth chainwheel and 14,16,18,21, & 24 tooth cogs. I was happy enough with it at the time but I did not know what I was missing.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:17 am

Discovered the creaking noise which has developed over the past couple of weeks. Rim has cracked at the spoke nipple :( Did just under 20,000kms on the wheel set so I'm not too upset, apart from having to fork our for a new wheelset.

BJL

Postby BJL » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:04 pm

I wouldn't quite say I'm a 'champion' bike mechanic but I live and learn. For a while now, my front brake has been making a 'knocking' noise whenever I applied or released the brakes. These are 105 5700 rim brake calipers (not that 105 had a disc brake option back then). It was rather loud and getting annoying so I decided it was time to track down the culprit.

Turns out idiot me for some reason had the barrel adjuster wound out sooooooooo far that the bottom of the screw had disappeared into the caliper arm! For those that have never taken much notice of such mundane things, this is about 10-15 full turns of the adjuster :shock:
It's okay to leave it unwound a couple of turns when you first attach the brake cable for when the quick release doesn't open up quite far enough so you can cheat a little but all the way into the caliper arm ?

When I replaced the brake inner cables last year, I obviously wasn't paying attention.

:oops:

I'm pleased to say that after winding in the barrel adjuster and reattaching the brake cable, the annoying knocking is now gone. :D

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Not so much bike, as electrical, but still.....

My Ay-Ups used to be used daily and as a result the plug on the end of the battery failed internally. Contact Ay-up, older batteries aren't serviceable but they have heard of people cutting the old plug off and attaching a new one. Too easy.

Trial fit new plug and there's light again. A couple of spots of solder for security and we're good to go......

Except I hadn't unplugged the battery from the light bar and I totally forgot about heat transfer through the plug. Melted at least one joint and fried who knows what else.

I went from having lights with no battery to having a battery but no lights :oops:

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Re-cabled my Propel and replaced the internal liners..

I wish I could afford to have put Di2 on halfway through when jiggling the cables through for the fourth time.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Re-lubed a Shimano Dura Ace C24 rear hub. A magnet works a treat to get the drive side ball bearings out in one go. No pitting in the cup or cone races. Ball bearings in fine condition. I do love Shimano hubs.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 am

I found one of my chain ring bolts lying on the ground next to my indoor trainer. The other four were very loose. No wonder my shifting has been going downhill rapidly..

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm

^ Yeah my sweet fixie was making a disconcerting noise the other day. Did a quick inspection stopped at the lights and one of the chainring bolts had jumped ship. It was a good Dura-Ace one, too. Found a second bolt was loose when I got home.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Was cleaning my brakes & thought "that's not right" - I have been riding around with the brake shoes in backwards.

Was a day for bike maintenance so thought I would look at why the pump was hard to use - hmm when did I last grease the plunger? Dab of rubber grease & all is good again

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:Was cleaning my brakes & thought "that's not right" - I have been riding around with the brake shoes in backwards.
I see that on my patents at work quite frequently. I also see the whole pad holder assembly fitted backwards on the odd occasion too.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Working in the garage last weekend. I stepped forward and felt something under my foot. Lifted up my foot and look down- it's the skewer from the wheel i was working on. It was now bent. I binned it immediately after testing it

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 pm

Chuck it in the vice & bend it back. They're not that fragile.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 am

Duck! wrote:Chuck it in the vice & bend it back. They're not that fragile.
I'm viceless

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:19 am

Duck! wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Was cleaning my brakes & thought "that's not right" - I have been riding around with the brake shoes in backwards.
I see that on my patents at work quite frequently. I also see the whole pad holder assembly fitted backwards on the odd occasion too.
That’d be the one - nothing but a grub screw resisting the pad from being spat out right when you need it.