I'm a champion bike mechanic...

trailgumby

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:07 pm

jasonc wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Replacing the cable today, it took me half an hour just to weasel the end out of the shifter. There were only four strands left intact, the rest of it had turned into a massive steel hairball and there were little fragments of cable about a centimetre long floating loose and preventing me from inserting the new cable.

How many strands were implanted in your fingers

You're probably going to say "Yeah, right :roll: " ... but would you believe, none? :D

After several false starts and then unwinding the bar tape, the successful approach used a combination of pliers and an awl to push it out, and a pair of surgeon-style forceps to hold the head of the cable and stop it retracting back in. Then I snipped the four strands with some pliers and pulled it out.

Need to vacuum first thing tomorrow morning. There's probably a bunch of tiny wire fragments on the floor that will be unpleasant for bare feet. :oops:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:58 pm

What model shifter? Most of Shimano's newer ones have a "back door" which makes frayed/broken cable extraction a shedload easier than it used to be, no tape unwrapping required.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Duck! wrote:What model shifter? Most of Shimano's newer ones have a "back door" which makes frayed/broken cable extraction a shedload easier than it used to be, no tape unwrapping required.

Ultegra 6700 10-speed.

The cable is partially exposed when you peel back the rubber, but it was such a scene of destruction :lol: that the only hope I had of pushing the cable out was to grab it with a pair of pliers as close as possible to the hairball. Had to take the tape off to release the end of the outer so I could get the pliers' jaws under the cable.

I was looking, but didn't see anything that looked like a hatch unfortunately.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Roll the rubber hood away from the bar; on the inboard face is a clearly visible removeable panel, held in with a single small screw. There's the "back door" to get the cable out. 11-sp are even easier, the entire lower half of the shifter bracket body comes away with the removal of two screws.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Duck! wrote:Roll the rubber hood away from the bar; on the inboard face is a clearly visible removeable panel, held in with a single small screw. There's the "back door" to get the cable out. 11-sp are even easier, the entire lower half of the shifter bracket body comes away with the removal of two screws.

Screw is close to the bar tape?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Close, but if the tape is wrapped properly it shouldn't cover the hatch.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 am

Did a whole bunch of k’s in the wet last weekend, on the way home I notice a constant slight knock knock from the BB (1 per crank revolution), I'm doing a 1000k ride next week and this noise will drive me insane (even more insane than riding 1000k's in a week) so I figure I need to fix it pronto.

The BB bearings (Campag Ultra torque) have done about 16000K’s so I think that the BB bearings must be buggered.

Pull cranks out, check bearings, they seem fine (I don’t often ride this bike in the rain), think that it must be lack of grease dampening the wavy washer (lateral preload mechanism for campy UT) apply grease and put it all back together and go for a ride.. knock knock.. damn noise is still there?

Figure that it must be the BB bearings after all, pull cranks out, pull BB bearings (couldn’t find my new spare set so I resort to pulling a set off a new 10 speed crank set after ringing around mates who own campy to see if they have a spare set handy), press on new BB bearings, put cranks back in, go for a ride… .. knock knock it’s still there??

Bugger me? Must be the pedals? (Speed play 0’s) They seem OK? but you never can really tell, change out pedals with spare set, go for a ride… .. knock knock it’s still there???

Bugger me again! Could it be the actual wavy washer? I really doubt it?? but it seemed OK??? but you never can really tell, pull cranks out, change out wavy washer with spare, put cranks back in, go for a ride… .. knock knock it’s still there????

Put bike on stand, spend 10 min with a very very bright light, muttering sailor talk, manipulating cranks, looking for a crack in the frame.. anything… nothing?

Figure that it may be buggered BB cups or perhaps it’s the actual cranks??? (I’m running out of ideas and bits to replace) pull crank out again, go to remove BB cups (I have a spare set) and now notice that DS cup isn’t exactly real tight.. Hmmmmmmm? tighten DS BB cup (it was only a fraction loose), put it all back together and go for a ride.. no more clunk!

About 2 hours wasted messing about for a damn BB cup that had worked itself slightly loose after about 8000 kilometers.. actually it was probably loose for a long time, but the water from doing a few hours in the rain washed out the copper ease (Ti frame,alloy cups) that was dampening the clunk.. lesson learnt; yes I'm an idiot!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:09 am

Ran my car over my Park Tool stand yesterday.

No bikes were injured. Car is OK, but lets just say the stand is now "unique"
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 am

sobmal wrote:Did a whole bunch of k’s in the wet last weekend, on the way home I notice a constant slight knock knock from the BB (1 per crank revolution), I'm doing a 1000k ride next week and this noise will drive me insane (even more insane than riding 1000k's in a week) so I figure I need to fix it pronto.

Figure that it may be buggered BB cups or perhaps it’s the actual cranks??? (I’m running out of ideas and bits to replace) pull crank out again, go to remove BB cups (I have a spare set) and now notice that DS cup isn’t exactly real tight.. Hmmmmmmm? tighten DS BB cup (it was only a fraction loose), put it all back together and go for a ride.. no more clunk!

That's rare, a BB noise that actually originates from the BB.

Cheers,

Cameron

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:01 am

ValleyForge wrote:Ran my car over my Park Tool stand yesterday.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: You idiot! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:40 am

foo on patrol wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:Ran my car over my Park Tool stand yesterday.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: You idiot! :mrgreen:

Foo

That could almost be put in the moron motorist thread...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Yesterday as I rolled out the gate a bit late I noticed my front brakes rubbing on the tyre a bit. Oh well, I can avoid front braking for one commute. Realised my multi tool had decided to take a sickie and stay home, so couldn't fix it. Repeated the late start again today, but collected the multi tool to enable a fix before the commute home.

Grabbed the Allen key, loosened the offending brake pa but couldn't adjust it lower, was at the limit. Didn't appear to be twisted. Ummm.... Loosened the QR for the wheel and it dropped in a smidgen and the brake pad problem disappeared. :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Chasing a serious sounding rattle from my newly built Kestrel - any time I went over a bump in the road it sounded like a loose cone in the rear hub or worse the cup and cone Dura Ace BB.

I had just serviced the rear hub and adjusted the cones .. But checked those and they were fine. Serviced the BB and nothing there, so went over the cassette and free hub (hoping the unobtainable FH-7403 wasn't the cause) .. Everything looked okay so refit the cassette .. Rattle still there.

So I pull the cassette off again and finally notice that the thin wavy washer under the lock ring was missing - it's so thin you wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but the rattle is now gone.

Glad I noticed!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:44 pm

tried to true my 20k old Reynolds front rim, but the nipples have binded to the spoke thread. it's a low spoke count front wheel and they're laced with thread lock. so now I've rounded a number of spoke nipples. brilliant work. not sure what the solution might have been though - how do you loosen them? the flathead screwdriver option from above was unavailable due to protruding spoke.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 pm

jules21 wrote:tried to true my 20k old Reynolds front rim, but the nipples have binded to the spoke thread. it's a low spoke count front wheel and they're laced with thread lock. so now I've rounded a number of spoke nipples. brilliant work. not sure what the solution might have been though - how do you loosen them? the flathead screwdriver option from above was unavailable due to protruding spoke.

If you've got access to a Dremel, sacrifice a good flat bladed screwdriver and slot the blade to fit over the spoke ends. Plus warm up the nipples, it'll help loosen the threadlock. All else fails, take the butchers option and use a universal spanner- vice grips.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Oh yeah. Was helping a guy replace his Octalink cranks the other day. No Octalink crank puller! Damn. So I found an old axle that fitted through the centre of the bottom bracket, put the crank bolt in the other end and used a square taper puller bearing on the end of the axle to get the cranks off.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Trevtassie wrote:If you've got access to a Dremel, sacrifice a good flat bladed screwdriver and slot the blade to fit over the spoke ends. Plus warm up the nipples, it'll help loosen the threadlock. All else fails, take the butchers option and use a universal spanner- vice grips.

the Dremel idea is good. the problem was also that even when I managed to get a good grip on the nipples (with the spoke spanner), some of them would just wind up and snap. in the end for those that didn't snap, I used the vice grips option 8)

the heating tip is one I'll keep in mind

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:16 pm

jules21 wrote:
Trevtassie wrote:If you've got access to a Dremel, sacrifice a good flat bladed screwdriver and slot the blade to fit over the spoke ends. Plus warm up the nipples, it'll help loosen the threadlock. All else fails, take the butchers option and use a universal spanner- vice grips.

the Dremel idea is good. the problem was also that even when I managed to get a good grip on the nipples (with the spoke spanner), some of them would just wind up and snap. in the end for those that didn't snap, I used the vice grips option 8)

the heating tip is one I'll keep in mind

Time for new spokes, methinks :?

LG

Postby LG » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Installed a nexus dynamo hub wheel on my touring/commuting bike with a shimano 'auto light'. Spent about an hour wonding why I couldn't get the light to work, a whole heap of troubleshooting, disassembly and reassembly and thought I must have had a faulty unit. It finally seemed to work when I held the light itself. It then twigged what the 'auto light' actually meant, a light sensor on the unit turns it off during daylight, and it just happened to be daylight while doing the installation :oops:
LG = Low Gear

mitchj

A Bit Of Woodwork

Postby mitchj » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:37 pm

For a while now I've been wanting to get a bicycle work stand, so I decided to have a go at making one with 70mm x 35mm pine. Here's how it turned out -
Its got an old front hub to hold the forks, & a piece of stubbie holder to protect the BB, & a strip of Velcro I can use If I want, to stop me knocking the BB off...! It's 70mm wide, so the BB can be assembled & the cranks will still turn. I also made it so a rear wheel can be fitted to adjust gears & brakes. It's solid, I'm really happy how it turned out, & I cant wait to use it!
Not a bad way to waste half a day in the shed!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Nice work. For those who don't have a whole front hub spare, you only really need the axle. Bore an appropriate hole through the wood and insert the axle, use some appropriate spacers to flesh the OLD of the lock nuts out to 100mm and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers,

Cameron.

Ethan99

Postby Ethan99 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 pm

I purchased a set of shimano RS010s for my commuter because I dinted the rim and popped some spokes on a #$%^$#$ pot hole (not worth the trouble of fixing 2.2kg wheels). The wheels arrived spick and span, however, me being me, I promptly misplaced the 1.85mm spacer supplied with the wheels (which I need because the commuter is 10 speed tiagra 4700). After tearing the house apart in a feeble and unsuccessful attempt at finding the illusive spacer I decided to just bodge it and put a thicker cog from and old 8 speed cassette in with the mix. Works perfect apart from the fact the 8 speed cog is 8000ks old and the chain is no older than 1000 meaning the chain relentlessly skips on that cog.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:00 am

Ethan99 wrote:I purchased a set of shimano RS010s for my commuter because I dinted the rim and popped some spokes on a #$%^$#$ pot hole (not worth the trouble of fixing 2.2kg wheels). The wheels arrived spick and span, however, me being me, I promptly misplaced the 1.85mm spacer supplied with the wheels (which I need because the commuter is 10 speed tiagra 4700). After tearing the house apart in a feeble and unsuccessful attempt at finding the illusive spacer I decided to just bodge it and put a thicker cog from and old 8 speed cassette in with the mix. Works perfect apart from the fact the 8 speed cog is 8000ks old and the chain is no older than 1000 meaning the chain relentlessly skips on that cog.

Your LBS should have a stack of the spacers lying around.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Ethan99 wrote:I purchased a set of shimano RS010s for my commuter because I dinted the rim and popped some spokes on a #$%^$#$ pot hole (not worth the trouble of fixing 2.2kg wheels). The wheels arrived spick and span, however, me being me, I promptly misplaced the 1.85mm spacer supplied with the wheels (which I need because the commuter is 10 speed tiagra 4700). After tearing the house apart in a feeble and unsuccessful attempt at finding the elusive spacer I decided to just bodge it and put a thicker cog from and old 8 speed cassette in with the mix. Works perfect apart from the fact the 8 speed cog is 8000ks old and the chain is no older than 1000 meaning the chain relentlessly skips on that cog.

A better bodge would be to use one of the smaller sprockets (but not really small with integrated spacer, that'll be too thick) from the old cassette & bung it in behind the 10-sp. cassette - being smaller diameter the chain won't get anywhere near it to run rough.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:52 pm

^ Nice work stand. (I prefer my sawhorse based DIY one though :))

Put a new chain on today; spent the first 15 minutes trying to figure out how I was going to do it without a new link pin, until I eventually discovered it in the bottom of the box in a separate plastic bag (Shimano 6701 chain)

Return to “The Bike Shed”