I'm a champion bike mechanic...

hannos

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby hannos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:13 pm

replaced my cassette and chain, didn't bother to do much in the way of RD adjustments.

first commute it shifted like a dog...

So I spent some time sorting it all out and my trusty steed is now like new!

Lesson for today: Don't be lazy!
2010 BMC SLC01

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Adding Hexlox & magnets to my daughter's wheels. Can't find the second magnet anywhere and mighty annoyed that I will need to pay 10 euros postage from Germany for a new magnet.

Turned the office and the kitchen upside down looking for this 5mm diameter neodymium magnet. :twisted:

Until I checked the front axle and realised the Hexlox wasn't working. Because the second magnet I was looking for was stuck to it. :roll:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Marcus T

Postby Marcus T » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 pm

If you ever have any problems with your hexlox just email us and we’ll take care of it directly. If it’s a warranty thing I’d course there would be no postage costs but a quick replacement from our side.

Marcus (managing director hexlox)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Marcus T wrote:If you ever have any problems with your hexlox just email us and we’ll take care of it directly. If it’s a warranty thing I’d course there would be no postage costs but a quick replacement from our side.

Marcus (managing director hexlox)

Thanks Marcus. No accounting for not wearing my glasses!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Kinda. Rode to school to pick up the kids this arvo, oldest had a flat tyre. Not so champion, didn’t have anything to repair it. Walked it down to a nearby servo and hey presto, presta valve - couldn’t get the servo car tyre inflator on it. Quick thinking, not sure whether I borrowed the idea, ducked into the servo and borrowed some scissors and cut the tip off the dust cap - instant Schrader adaptor. Inflated, off we rushed.

Unfortunately the newly inflated tyre only lasted a couple of hundred metres before returning to deflated form.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:27 am

bychosis wrote:Kinda. Rode to school to pick up the kids this arvo, oldest had a flat tyre. Not so champion, didn’t have anything to repair it. Walked it down to a nearby servo and hey presto, presta valve - couldn’t get the servo car tyre inflator on it. Quick thinking, not sure whether I borrowed the idea, ducked into the servo and borrowed some scissors and cut the tip off the dust cap - instant Schrader adaptor. Inflated, off we rushed.

Unfortunately the newly inflated tyre only lasted a couple of hundred metres before returning to deflated form.

How the hell have I not thought of that before!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Just used a barrel adjuster to fix noisy shifting on my wife's new Aldi special. First time for everything :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Mububban wrote:Just used a barrel adjuster to fix noisy shifting on my wife's new Aldi special. First time for everything :D

Nice
Mmm, SunTour

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:12 pm

I redid the SunTour BB on my 80s Malvern Star a while ago, but out and about the other night dodging Maggies and Hiluxes I could feel a slight tick or notchy sort of thing when the drive side crank was forward.

Ok, bike on stand, open up the BB and it all looks good. Nice blue-green grease, nice smooth bearings, nice smooth cups everything is as it should be.....hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup. Can only imagine it flew off the cable cutters and into the grease tub, and I have then introduced it into the BB.

Who'd have thunk it possible?
Mmm, SunTour

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:04 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup.

Hi 10speed. Do you use those flexible plastic boots things on your old style bottom brackets? They stop muck getting into the bearings if there is anything stray there inside the tubes.

I used to use them, but I don't even know where you can buy them anymore.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm

uart wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup.

Hi 10speed. Do you use those flexible plastic boots things on your old style bottom brackets? They stop muck getting into the bearings if there is anything stray there inside the tubes.

I used to use them, but I don't even know where you can buy them anymore.

I do, if you mean like this :

wouldn't have helped in this case as it was in the grease.
Mmm, SunTour

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I do, if you mean like this :

Yeah, exactly like that. I'm not sure if you can even buy them anymore. I've got a BB to assemble tomorrow in an old bike and no spare boots to use. I'm seriously considering having a crack at using two Yakult bottles stuffed end to end - if I can't think up anything better in the mean time. ( LOL, that's if they even fit properly. It was just a random thought I had today while I was lamenting the lack of a boot for this job. ;) )

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:I redid the SunTour BB on my 80s Malvern Star a while ago, but out and about the other night dodging Maggies and Hiluxes I could feel a slight tick or notchy sort of thing when the drive side crank was forward.

Ok, bike on stand, open up the BB and it all looks good. Nice blue-green grease, nice smooth bearings, nice smooth cups everything is as it should be.....hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup. Can only imagine it flew off the cable cutters and into the grease tub, and I have then introduced it into the BB.

Who'd have thunk it possible?

Unlucky I'd say! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:44 am

uart wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:I do, if you mean like this :

Yeah, exactly like that. I'm not sure if you can even buy them anymore. I've got a BB to assemble tomorrow in an old bike and no spare boots to use. I'm seriously considering having a crack at using two Yakult bottles stuffed end to end - if I can't think up anything better in the mean time. ( LOL, that's if they even fit properly. It was just a random thought I had today while I was lamenting the lack of a boot for this job. ;) )

I've made one up using reticulation parts and hot glue. Needed it to be a small diameter to allow for internal cabling