Degreasing

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Degreasing

Postby tpac » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:16 am

Howdy,
I have read through quite a few of these maintenance topics. From what I have learnt there are two main products people are using to degrease their chain, chain rings, etc:
1. Kerosine
2. Citrus degreaser

I just want to know if there is a specific reason for using citrus degreaser vs a regular degreaser??? Is it just smell or is there something more scientific to it??
tpac

by BNA » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:52 am

BNA

Re: Degreasing

Postby alchemist » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:52 am

tpac wrote:I just want to know if there is a specific reason for using citrus degreaser vs a regular degreaser??? Is it just smell or is there something more scientific to it??

Perceived environmental and safety reasons.
alchemist

Postby tpac » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 am

No potential impact on the paint then?
tpac

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 am

Nothing short term.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 am

May not affect you the same way, but I find kero leaves me feeling quite sick by the time I'm done with the chain, even out in the open air. I don't have the same issues with citrus.

A question for those who use citrus degreasers: what do you do to get the degreaser out before you put the lube in? Or do you just apply the lube straight after? I've been washing out with water, wiping off with rag and allowing to dry before lubing, but am not sure if that's the go or not.
Hawkeye

Postby tpac » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 am

I just wash out with water then lube up.

Preparation probably depends on the kind of lube you are putting on?
tpac

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 am

j.r.hawkins wrote:A question for those who use citrus degreasers: what do you do to get the degreaser out before you put the lube in? Or do you just apply the lube straight after? I've been washing out with water, wiping off with rag and allowing to dry before lubing, but am not sure if that's the go or not.

Degreaser definitely needs to be washed out or it's meaningless to put on the lube.

I rinse with tap water and would further clean it with detergent (dishwashing liquid) before drying. The detergent wash can really get the sparkle back on those chains. Only apply the final lube after all the components have been thoroughly rinsed and dried.
sogood

Postby tpac » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

good idea. Will give the detergent a go... you spray it on? wipe it on?
tpac

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:16 pm

tpac wrote:good idea. Will give the detergent a go... you spray it on? wipe it on?

Sud it in a basin and wash the chain with a rag. From my point of view, this step is pure cosmetics.
sogood

Postby itsaghostcar » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm pretty sure washing up detergents contain salt, which is not good for your chain.

- Soak the chain in citrus degreaser, then give it a good shake and brush.
- Rinse well with water
- Wipe down the chain and leave to dry (I'll just leave it overnight)
- Apply lube when the chain is dry
itsaghostcar

Postby timbo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:05 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:May not affect you the same way, but I find kero leaves me feeling quite sick by the time I'm done with the chain, even out in the open air. I don't have the same issues with citrus.

You're not supposed to drink it.
timbo

Postby twowheels » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Hmm. I've had a questin about this topic I've never got round to asking, so now seems a good time.
I do the step of citrus degrease then wash off with stream of water. Then I apply a water dispersant spray Inox to the chain & derailers, this also prevents corrosion. The Inox contains lubricant also.

A while back i bought Rock & Roll gold. As far as I know this only lubricates but does nothing to prevent corrosion or resist water.

I've been hesitant to use the Rock & Roll because I figure the Inox has already lubed and not even sure if it will stick with the Inox on the chain. But I feel if I don't Inox first the chain will go rusty rapidly if I leave it to air dry.

What procedure do Rock & Roll users follow?

(Previously I used kerosene to remove gunk from chain etc, but now I'm maintaining more regularly swapped to citrus degreaser. Not because of kero odor or skin problems but because less chance of leaving an oily film on brake surfaces. Citrus is much easier to wash off, cosmetically better result.)
twowheels

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 am

timbo wrote:
j.r.hawkins wrote:May not affect you the same way, but I find kero leaves me feeling quite sick by the time I'm done with the chain, even out in the open air. I don't have the same issues with citrus.

You're not supposed to drink it.
:lol: Don't need to. The fumes do the job just fine. :?
Hawkeye

Postby eucryphia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:21 pm

The instructions on my bottle of R&R 'absolute dry' say to 'stream it on' and wipe off thoroughly.

My theory is, the wax lube is in petrol which washes out the gunk and as it evaporates it leaves the wax behind. All the rubbing does is remove the gunk the petrol rinses out. No mention of water or detergent.

I think it would be best to spray most of the dirt off first with plain water, no rubbing, let it dry a bit, and then apply the R&R, gently wiping it and the gunk off with lots of fresh rag so as not to drive gunk into the chain. The petrol will do all the work. And, like voting; early & often... :wink:

It also says on the bottle;
"Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Do not induce vomiting, call physician, and keep away from children."

I'd keep children away from anyone who drinks this stuff...
eucryphia

Return to The Shed