Park Tools chain cleaner

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby bollo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Man i just gave my new Park Tools chain cleaner a run & i thought my chain was pretty clean as i cleaned it last Sunday , anyway gave it a run & man the cleaning liquid goes in clear & comes out black & the chain looks as new (well it is only 300 or so k's old) but i am very impressed with how good it works :D
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
User avatar
bollo
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: St Clair

by BNA » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

BNA
 

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby gururug » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Careful not to lose the little spindles that hold the round brushes. Store it closed.
User avatar
gururug
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Onto my third rebuild kit for mine. Must have cleaned my chains a couple of hundred times....

One of the best things I've bought. Even have a 4 litre bottle of FinishLine Citrus Degreaser.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
User avatar
ValleyForge
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby __PG__ » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:46 pm

+1 from me. I'm skeptical of new-fangled stuff like this, but I borrowed my Dad's a few months ago and it was absolutely brilliant.
Image
1994 Cecil Walker
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0
__PG__
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby bollo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Hey ValleyForge where did you get the 4lt bottle from ?
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
User avatar
bollo
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: St Clair

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 am

bollo wrote:Hey ValleyForge where did you get the 4lt bottle from ?


Just asked my LBS after I kept buying the small bottles - they suggested it!
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
User avatar
ValleyForge
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Rex » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Although it cleans well, i find the mess it makes and the fact that the chain needs to be run through more than once detracts from those chain cleaners.

I prefer to remove the chain completely and let it sit in kerosene overnight.
Rex
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:12 am
Location: Perth, WA

Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby ozzymac » Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Rex wrote:Although it cleans well, i find the mess it makes and the fact that the chain needs to be run through more than once detracts from those chain cleaners.

I prefer to remove the chain completely and let it sit in kerosene overnight.



What sort of mess do they make?

I have been using similar types since we got our bikes and I don't end up with any mess.

Just hold the chain cleaner in the left hand with a cloth being held up against the chain where it exits the cleaner, then turn pedal with right hand. No mess.... And clean chain.

Cheers


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
User avatar
ozzymac
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 31, 2012 9:46 am

+1 from me too. Though I don't use it as often now that I use the Rock n Roll Gold lube...and when I do it cleans up faster.

I use a citrus based degreaser concentrate called Septone Superclene http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?it ... page_num=1 that I get from the engineering supplies shop in town
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
User avatar
silentbutdeadly
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am
Location: Somewhere flat...

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby kyap » Thu May 31, 2012 10:59 am

+1

best thing I've ever bought. Clean blink blink chain after.
~~Cervelo S2~~...Fast Ride Demanded....~~
User avatar
kyap
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Ozkaban » Thu May 31, 2012 11:12 am

bollo wrote:Hey ValleyForge where did you get the 4lt bottle from ?

I bought a big bottle (think it was 5lt) from a local auto parts store (autoOne in Waitara, Syd). Top stuff!

As a maybe interesting aside, I had a problem in my bike shed which was infested with mosquitoes. Couldn't get ride of them using normal methods (mozzie coil, those electrical thingys, etc). After I bought the citrus degreaser and cracked the container open, the strong citrus smell hung around for a while and I stored it in the closed shed. Haven't seen a mozzie in there since :twisted: . It was worth buying the big bottle for that feature alone! And no, the shed is not that overpowered with the smell, just don't store it inside your house.
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Ozkaban » Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 am

Quick question - I have the barbieri chain cleaner, which I would rate as 7/10 on the scale of how well it cleans. Has anyone got any experience with the difference between the park tool one and the barbieri?
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby visrealm » Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't have experience with the Barbieri Chain Cleaner, but do have a Park. The main differences (going from the picture of the Barbieri) would be:

* the park scrubs the side plates of the chain
* the park has a magnet at the bottom of the well which keeps any small metal filings from re-circultaing in your cleaning fluid.
* the park has a sponge before the chain exit to reduce the amount of fluid that spills out with the chain exiting (doesn't elimitate that though)
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.
User avatar
visrealm
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby cavebear2 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:+1 from me too. Though I don't use it as often now that I use the Rock n Roll Gold lube...and when I do it cleans up faster.

I use a citrus based degreaser concentrate called Septone Superclene http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?it ... page_num=1 that I get from the engineering supplies shop in town

Yes I don't use it that often, however the thicker grunge does build up over time when just using RR Gold so I find that a scrub is very beneficial every 1000k's or so, especially in winter to save all that mess on your rear rim & frame.

I use Australian Export Degreaser in a pressure pack (about $2 a can) about 4 cleans per pack - does a great job and is biodegradable although I guess the can is less enviro friendly.

Any mess that comes out of the scrubber goes on some old rags that I keep on the floor below the work stand. I'd give the Park Tools version about 9/10 - I have used a couple of cheaper versions with less capacity. The brushes last a long time in the PT scrubber and replacements are available, as with the foam blocks although you can cut your own.
Last edited by cavebear2 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
cavebear2
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Perth

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Ozkaban » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 pm

visrealm wrote:I don't have experience with the Barbieri Chain Cleaner, but do have a Park. The main differences (going from the picture of the Barbieri) would be:

* the park scrubs the side plates of the chain
* the park has a magnet at the bottom of the well which keeps any small metal filings from re-circultaing in your cleaning fluid.
* the park has a sponge before the chain exit to reduce the amount of fluid that spills out with the chain exiting (doesn't elimitate that though)


Ahh thanks. I've never noticed the metal filings being an issue, but points 1 and 3 sound like worthy improvements on their own. the Barbieri spews cleaner everywhere when you use it and the side plates don't come out particularly clean. And I guess you wouldn't realise the magnet was useful until you had one that actually filled up with filings :roll:
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 pm

it is possible that over cleaning your chain is detrimental.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/maintenance/

the BEST lube is that which is applied inside the rollers by the factory during the manufacturing process.....vigorous cleaning with greasers/solvents etc removes the original lube and you are replacing it with an inferior lube.

save some time and money and just wipe down the chain with a cloth, apply some lube and then wipe the excess. job done.

ciao
mrs slocombe's pussy
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Hotdog » Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm

mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:the BEST lube is that which is applied inside the rollers by the factory during the manufacturing process.....vigorous cleaning with greasers/solvents etc removes the original lube and you are replacing it with an inferior lube.


Those sound like Sheldon Brown's words.

save some time and money and just wipe down the chain with a cloth, apply some lube and then wipe the excess. job done.


That's more or less my approach. When the chain is dirty and/or dry I just saturate the chain in ProLink lube then wipe off the muck and excess lube. Effective and easy as. I sometime use a degreaser spray to help get the accumulated crud out of the cassette and derailleur jockey wheels but not the chain.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile
User avatar
Hotdog
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am
Location: North Strathfield, Sydney

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Hotdog wrote:
mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:the BEST lube is that which is applied inside the rollers by the factory during the manufacturing process.....vigorous cleaning with greasers/solvents etc removes the original lube and you are replacing it with an inferior lube.


Those sound like Sheldon Brown's words.

save some time and money and just wipe down the chain with a cloth, apply some lube and then wipe the excess. job done.


That's more or less my approach. When the chain is dirty and/or dry I just saturate the chain in ProLink lube then wipe off the muck and excess lube. Effective and easy as. I sometime use a degreaser spray to help get the accumulated crud out of the cassette and derailleur jockey wheels but not the chain.


great minds think alike hey!

yeah agreed.....its a chain, not a dinner plate!
mrs slocombe's pussy
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Ever since the vasectomy...I mostly ride fixed.
User avatar
tallywhacker
 
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: on the road

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:42 pm

mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:
Hotdog wrote:
mrs slocombe's pussy wrote:the BEST lube is that which is applied inside the rollers by the factory during the manufacturing process.....vigorous cleaning with greasers/solvents etc removes the original lube and you are replacing it with an inferior lube.


Those sound like Sheldon Brown's words.

save some time and money and just wipe down the chain with a cloth, apply some lube and then wipe the excess. job done.


That's more or less my approach. When the chain is dirty and/or dry I just saturate the chain in ProLink lube then wipe off the muck and excess lube. Effective and easy as. I sometime use a degreaser spray to help get the accumulated crud out of the cassette and derailleur jockey wheels but not the chain.


great minds think alike hey!

yeah agreed.....its a chain, not a dinner plate!


Here we go again :roll: I'm opting out of this one.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
User avatar
ValleyForge
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:05 pm



I see bike wash, water and sponges there, no chain cleaning machines or long soaks in aggressive degreasers. I'm not sure what point I was supposed to take from that? Looks pretty much like what I do to my own bikes when I feel the urge to clean the frames as well as the drivetrain.

I certainly wasn't advocating dirty chains, mine are as clean and shiny as the next bike. My point was (that with certain types of lube at least) you can keep your chain nice and clean simply by wiping and lubing it, intensive chain maintenance techniques or specialised equipment are not always essential. I've tried chain cleaning machines and all manner of chain cleaning fluids in the past and eventually concluded that they weren't worth the hassle, especially for me because each of my bikes has 2 and half times the standard length of chain on it!

As a general point the practices of pro team mechanics aren't always the best guide for how to maintain your own bike. Remember that they have little interest in longevity, those team bikes only have to last a single racing season before they're replaced. Much of what they do is no problem in that respect but there are a few things you'd want to be wary of, e.g. be very, very careful if you're going to use a pressure washer on a bike! :shock:
Last edited by Hotdog on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile
User avatar
Hotdog
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am
Location: North Strathfield, Sydney

Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Hot soapy jet wash and olive oil... My chain sparkles.
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:06 am

toolonglegs wrote:Hot soapy jet wash and olive oil... My chain sparkles.


Your bike must smell great :D
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile
User avatar
Hotdog
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am
Location: North Strathfield, Sydney

Park Tools chain cleaner

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:49 am

I use the bio virgin press as well :-) ... All jokes aside it is one of the best chain lubes I have used.
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rdp_au



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers