Cassette/frame clearance

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Cassette/frame clearance

Postby AP81 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi,

Working on a vintage restoration project...the bike had a 6 speed cassette, but I've fit a 10 speed wheel (with a 10 speed cassette). It was a little bit of a tight squeeze getting the wheel on, so I am guessing the chainstay spacing is 126mm.

I'm now facing the issue that the smallest cog (12T) is a bit too close to the dropouts and the chain rubs against the dropout. What options do I have in this case? I don't want to run it as a SS, but I'm thinking it may be the only "easy" option.

Thanks for your help.
Steel - is - real
AP81

by BNA » Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

BNA

Re: Cassette/frame clearance

Postby Nikolai » Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

If it's a steel frame (I'm assuming it is), you can simply spread it. If you've never done it, a good idea is to ask someone who has because it's too easy to pull one side more than the other.
Velo Aficionado | Bike blog about all things cycling
Nikolai

Postby AP81 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Nikolai wrote:If it's a steel frame (I'm assuming it is), you can simply spread it. If you've never done it, a good idea is to ask someone who has because it's too easy to pull one side more than the other.

I thought that I was going to have to do this. It is steel, but I don't want to attempt it myself. After spreading, wouldn't the dropouts need to be bent slightly inwards so they are 90 degree angles to eachother?
Steel - is - real
AP81

Postby drubie » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Pop a washer on the axle to space it out a fraction. My daughters little shogun was similar and a washer sorted it. Can be tough getting the wheel in though.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby AP81 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

drubie wrote:Pop a washer on the axle to space it out a fraction. My daughters little shogun was similar and a washer sorted it. Can be tough getting the wheel in though.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Ahh, now you're a thinker...If the dropouts are relatively square with a couple of washers, I think my problem will be solved.

Thanks.
Steel - is - real
AP81

Postby Nikolai » Mon May 07, 2012 9:09 pm

AP81 wrote:After spreading, wouldn't the dropouts need to be bent slightly inwards so they are 90 degree angles to eachother?

No, the spread is too small to affect the dropouts. Besides, when you tighten the skewers, everything will be chiki-piki.
Velo Aficionado | Bike blog about all things cycling
Nikolai

Postby drubie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Nikolai wrote:
AP81 wrote:After spreading, wouldn't the dropouts need to be bent slightly inwards so they are 90 degree angles to eachother?

No, the spread is too small to affect the dropouts. Besides, when you tighten the skewers, everything will be chiki-piki.

Depends a bit on the frame - some of the older style frames with the long semi-horizontal dropouts are OK, some of them have odd dropouts that interfere with the cassette on a 10 speed axle because there is usually much less room between the axle locknuts and the edge of the cassette - hence you space it out on that side. Best solution is to actualy undo the axle lock nut and pop the washer under that, but a washer on top generally does the job while you work out whether everything is going to fit.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 am

Any decent shop shouldn't charge much to align the dropouts. There are special tools for the job.
rkelsen

Postby khendar » Tue May 08, 2012 3:00 pm

rkelsen wrote:Any decent shop shouldn't charge much to align the dropouts. There are special tools for the job.

khendar

Postby rkelsen » Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm

rkelsen

Postby Roadi » Tue May 08, 2012 4:01 pm

hi all,
after some tips for restoring an old bike....
im looking at updating and old steel frame style bike with new style components: 10 speed cassette, new shimano sti levers, new style bottom bracket and crank etc....
will it all be compatible (ie bolt on) or is it not doable?
cheers,
Roadi

Postby panda1971 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:47 pm

easy fix, if your running a 10 speed rear cassette with a spacer, simply put the spacer on the outside closest to the lock ring, that will move your whole cassette closer to the wheel = further from the frame, then just reset your limit screws on the rear derailleur, or follow sheldons instructions http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
panda1971

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:09 am

Bringing back an old thread I know, but my question is on the same topic. I need to spread the frame maybe one or two millimetres on my LoGo P-38 as the hub is a tight fit (need to spread the frame by hand to get it to drop in - pain on the side of the road).

I read drubie's suggestion of a washer but I am not quite following how this works.

The other suggestion was to use a scissor jack to do a controlled spread. Anyone tried this?

Thanks
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby elantra » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:Bringing back an old thread I know, but my question is on the same topic. I need to spread the frame maybe one or two millimetres on my LoGo P-38 as the hub is a tight fit (need to spread the frame by hand to get it to drop in - pain on the side of the road).

I read drubie's suggestion of a washer but I am not quite following how this works.

The other suggestion was to use a scissor jack to do a controlled spread. Anyone tried this?

Thanks
Andrew

I have never been game to do a "spread" - controlled or uncontrolled.

However i was able to fairly easily "convert" an old 130mm Shimano105 hub to run in a 126mm frame by swapping the locknuts for narrower ones.
Obviously depends on the design of the hub but might be worth investigating this as a possible solution.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:16 pm

elantra wrote:However i was able to fairly easily "convert" an old 130mm Shimano105 hub to run in a 126mm frame by swapping the locknuts for narrower ones.
Obviously depends on the design of the hub but might be worth investigating this as a possible solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this option as well.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to The Shed