Ideas for helmet replacement pads

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Wed May 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I have an old Giro DH helmet that I'm bringing back to life. The foams pads have withered to dust and I'm looking for a universal helmet replacement pads.

I found them only in the US. in amazon and ebay but could not find anything here in AU. There must be some similar foams in Bunnings which has an outer backing that stick to velcro? anyone have any ideas where to get these foams?

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Unive ... B004GBN916

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-repla ... 35bc4178e0

arand18

Re: Ideas for helmet replacement pads

Postby arand18 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Wow that is wied you would think that you would be able to get helmet pads in australia, I would just go to a bike store and buy some pads, for the velcro you can go to places like spotlight, Bunnings and get double sides adhesive foam and get some strips of velcro.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 pm

They say you should replace your helmet every few years..... Last helmet straps fell apart before the pads.

If I was desperate, i'd use a 3mm wetsuit material with velcro circles from the sewing shop. Won't ventilate as well as stock pads but is durable, shapable and comfortable.

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 pm

i use this for commuter helmet with good success

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 am

Neoprene mousepad from Big K and a craft knife?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 17, 2012 9:06 am

jeff_o wrote:IThere must be some similar foams in Bunnings which has an outer backing that stick to velcro? anyone have any ideas where to get these foams?

You are after foam backed fabric. Use the hook side of adhesive velcro on the helmet then the foam backed fabric for the pads

Have a yarn to these guys http://www.linkron.com.au/index.php
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 17, 2012 11:25 am

Thinking outside the square, go to bunnings and buy a weather seal kit for a door frame. One side is foam, the other has a peel off adhesive backing. Just cut the strips the right length and stick them inside the helmet.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Thu May 17, 2012 4:28 pm

hi all thanks for all the ideas. i did use weatherseal in 1 of my old helmets but the foam was too dense and after a while the adhesive peels off. i visited my local bikeshop and they gave me a handful of fabric sided foams for $5. I think these foams came from a BMX helmet and I'd just have to cut them into shape :)

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu May 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Any foam you buy at Bunnings, an LBS or other 3rd party source, has never been tested for compliance with
either the Australian or European standards for helmets. The foam pads are an integral part of the protection provided by
the helmet - and you can't mess with them without jeopardising the function.

Pretty sure that your inexpert eye would never be able to tell the right foam from the wrong one. If all
you are concerned about is appearing to wear a helmet, it's an idea worth pursuing.

But if you are interested in protecting your head, you should stump up the money for the manufacturer
approved pads. If none are available, then buy a new helmet - it's pretty hard to spend more than an
ambulance flag fall fee on a helmet.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

diggler

Postby diggler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:36 pm

I used dishwashing sponges and cable ties.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 am

Good thinking, I had tapped mine in 4 opposite places and used bolts to position it, but the bolts get rusty from sweat and stain my face

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:46 pm

wombatK wrote:The foam pads are an integral part of the protection

Not in mine. 2mm of soft stuff which was almost entirely decorative. In fact, not in any helmet I've owned since my original "Stack Hat", which had soft foam that would actually provide some of the protection.

I'd love to hear of a modern, inexpensive helmet that utilises something other than esky foam for any of it's AS/NZ compliant protection. 'I just can't recall ever seeing any.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm

just take the velcro dots off. I have a shaved head so no hair for padding. I could probably tell the difference when trying with and without pads back to back. But 2 minutes after putting the helmet on I have forgotton about pad or no pads already.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm

epic thread dig :o

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm

warthog1 wrote:epic thread dig :o

Alas, poor Thread! I knew him, Horatio
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am

warthog1 wrote:epic thread dig :o

"Necropost" - a lesser-known Keanu Reeves movie I think.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:23 pm

queequeg wrote:Thinking outside the square, go to bunnings and buy a weather seal kit for a door frame. One side is foam, the other has a peel off adhesive backing. Just cut the strips the right length and stick them inside the helmet.

+1
I just put on "Raven 5m Superior White Door and Window Weather Strip"
its soft enough & goes well. The adhesive strip *just* started to come off - so a bit of superglue.

Sponge is the worst product to use - as it degrades & falls apart (foam speaker surrounds in humid weather anyone???)
Rubber is a far superior option for that hot & sweaty environment.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Nate wrote:
queequeg wrote:Thinking outside the square, go to bunnings and buy a weather seal kit for a door frame. One side is foam, the other has a peel off adhesive backing. Just cut the strips the right length and stick them inside the helmet.

+1
I just put on "Raven 5m Superior White Door and Window Weather Strip"
its soft enough & goes well. The adhesive strip *just* started to come off - so a bit of superglue.

Sponge is the worst product to use - as it degrades & falls apart (foam speaker surrounds in humid weather anyone???)
Rubber is a far superior option for that hot & sweaty environment.

put that for the front pad and you get a built in halo :D