pin striping, painting etc

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

pin striping, painting etc

Postby silverlight » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 pm

I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me what type of paint to use when doing some pin striping, the name of the bike etc. Im thinking of trying/dabbing with the idea a little to see how it goes. Any help/advice would be gladly appreiciated
thanks all
silverlight

by BNA » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm

BNA

Postby stevendavid75 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 pm

might be worth a look here
http://www.collectablecycles.com/index_ ... ations.htm

cheers
SP
stevendavid75

Postby Birdman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Also some of the pinstripping which you see on vehicles is actually a sticker which comes in a roll available from Super Cheap auto or other discount car places.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...
Birdman

Re: pin striping, painting etc

Postby oldtimer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm

silverlight wrote:I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me what type of paint to use when doing some pin striping, the name of the bike etc. Im thinking of trying/dabbing with the idea a little to see how it goes. Any help/advice would be gladly appreiciated
thanks all

Silverlight,
Have a look at Buegler_Pin_Striping.

oldtimer
oldtimer

Postby GaryF » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:29 pm

The late George Robinson showed me his pin striping brush about 10 years ago. It had a short handle with bristles reaching about 2 inches in length. The bristles were flat and tapered down like a dagger to be quite short near the handle. He had the brush stored in a tin and in a very light oil.
GaryF

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:35 pm

GaryF wrote:The late George Robinson showed me his pin striping brush about 10 years ago. It had a short handle with bristles reaching about 2 inches in length. The bristles were flat and tapered down like a dagger to be quite short near the handle. He had the brush stored in a tin and in a very light oil.

This is a 'dagger brush' I bought recently.
The learning curve commences

old_ timer
oldtimer

Postby GaryF » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:13 am

Hi Oldtimer.

That brush is quite similar to George's although his had even longer bristles and a wider brush width. He said it would hold more paint and allow for a one stroke to pinstripe for the length of a frame tube.

I have a similar brush to yours and have had a go at pinstriping - not very successful though. I think my hand was too unsteady. He showed me how to steady your hand with one finger on the tube you were painting also giving you a consistent distance from the tube.

I have been trying to remember the paint George suggested. I think it could have been coaching enamel - but i'm probably wrong. I do remember that the consistency had to be just right though to give an even line and consistent colour.
GaryF

Postby silverlight » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:51 am

hi, can these brushes be brought at any art supplies stockists??
silverlight

Postby oldtimer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:07 pm

silverlight wrote:hi, can these brushes be brought at any art supplies stockists??

silverlight,
It is a Roy_mac Dagger brush and I bought it from an air brush and sign shop. Art suppliers would probably have them as well.
oldtimer
oldtimer

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:32 am

I was given one by an old supervisor at work back in the 80's He was a signwriter in a previous life & had gone blind in one eye.
Sadly, the cancer that took his eye eventually took his life.

He refered to the brush as a "Dagger Liner". The bristles are full of Vaselene [I think] & he told me that this was an old trick to preserve the brush between uses. Check with a signwriter before doing it to your brush though.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Return to The Shed