problem with ultegra di2

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

problem with ultegra di2

Postby OH DIO » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 am

Hi guys I picked up my new bike yesterday its a brand new giant with the latest ultegra di2 and have noticed after fully charging the di2 battery it will only still display red when I try to do a battery test am I doing something wrong? or has anyone else had this problem? the LBS where I got the bike from said that it should be ok and haven't noticed this before
OH DIO

by BNA » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 am

BNA

Re: problem with ultegra di2

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 am

While I have no specific experience with the Di2 electronic system, however as with all electronic systems where a battery and charger are involved, if the system shows the battery is not fully charged after charging it for a sufficient time, then there is a problem that needs to be sorted.

This could be in the charging circuit, the test setup, or the battery itself.

My suggestion is to have your LBS fully charge one of their Di2 batteries, take your bike in, swap batteries, and then see what the testing circuit shows.
greyhoundtom

Postby SpinninWheels » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:13 am

How are you getting the system to show the charge?
Are you holding one of the shift levers for a second then releasing?
SpinninWheels

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 am

From the Park Tool site

As the battery loses power, the amount of remaining charge will be indicated by the shift mode switch. The upper indicator light will flash when the button is pressed. A full battery charge will show a green light for 2 seconds. A 50% battery charge will flash green five times. A 25% battery charge will illuminate red for only 2 seconds. A battery with effectively 0% charge will flash red five times. If there is no charge in the battery, the derailleurs will stay in the last gear they were shifted to.
greyhoundtom

Postby DavidTomic » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:12 pm

This might be an obvious / silly question, but (seeing as though you're new) are you sure that you're actually checking the charge correctly?

As SpinninWheels pointed out, the correct way to test the battery charge is to press & hold either shifting switch until you see the lights come on.

My first thought was that you might be pressing the little button on the front junction instead (where the indicator light is).

That button always lights up red when you push it, but it DOESN'T actually display the battery charge. It's used for adjusting the rear derailleur, as well as enabling/disabling the "protection function"

If you haven't read it already, I'd recommend that you have a quick look at the Di2 Dealers Manual. It's got a bit of useful information in there!
DavidTomic

Postby danny the boy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:04 am

Yeah its the shifter button rather than the junction box button.

But OP go back and ask for the actual manuals that come with all the individual parts, there is individual ones for FD, RD, junction box, shifters etc. When I got mine I fell for the same trick, called up the LBS where I got it and explained to them I was doing what you are doing here, yet out of the 3 people working in the store that day, none of them knew how to check the battery level on di2. It took me 2 more visits to the store before one of the mechanics pulls out the proper manuals and reads through everything to find out its the shifter button. And this is an bike shop that has been in business for 70 years. They then offered me a discount on a service to which I replied what eaxcatly are you going to service on a di2 groupset bike with wheels that you cant even put a cone spanner on?
danny the boy

Return to The Shed