Saved by slime!

vitualis

Saved by slime!

Postby vitualis » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:11 pm

I was cleaning my wife's bike today when I noticed the following on the rear wheel of my road bike:

See larger image here

It would appear that during my last cycle (I think) I must have sustained a puncture that was instantly sealed by the slime tube I had put in on a whim after my last puncture (about 2 weeks ago).

I had no idea that there was a puncture at all during the ride and the pressure in that tyre was still excellent.

Questions:
1. Should I replace that tube now?

2. This is the second puncture on that stock tyre (Maxxis Columbiere) has sustained in 4 weeks and I noticed an unhappy looking gash on the sidewall as well. My previous tyres on my stolen bike (Hutchinson Quartz) didn't have a single puncture over 1300 km. Anyone with good recommendations on what are good all round tyres for Sydney?

Cheers.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 pm

From my own experience with slime, that puncture is permanently sealed now. There is no need to patch the tube.

I can't help you with a tyre specifically for Sydney. Obviously you want something resistant to puncture, fast rolling and with an inflated self-impression of its overall worth in the global scheme. :wink: :D

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:50 pm

For good puncture resistance, I've had very good experience with Conti GP4000 series. If you are buying now, make sure it's the one with the latest Black Chili compound. Alternatively, Michelin's Pro Race series tyres are also worth considering.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Sveky

Postby Sveky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:58 am

Yep i wouldnt look past the GP4000s fantastic tyres and very strong, very grippy. They still feel sticky when u touch them after months of riding :lol:

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:18 pm

I've found my Conti Ultra Gatorskins pretty good in the puncture hell that is Canberra's roads and bike paths (at least compared to my old cycling life in Brisbane). I still get punctures but on balance I think they handle things pretty well.

Having spent some time looking around the tyre reviews at roadbikereview it is clear, however, that one rider's rolling gold is another's rubber strip from hell. I think if you're unlucky enough to get a series of punctures in that first 'I'm trying a new tyre' period, nobody will ever convince you that they're any good, regardless.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Obviously you want something resistant to puncture, fast rolling and with an inflated self-impression of its overall worth in the global scheme. :wink: :D
HEY! :evil: :evil:

I resemble that remark! :lol: :lol:

ewan

Postby ewan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 am

hi (showing my lack of knowledge) what is this "slime"?

------ ah a self healing tube - yes?

are they worth it ?

and a bit of youtube --exploding a slime tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MEXNj-4hVg

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:09 pm

Nah, it's stuff you put inside your tube to seal small to medium sized holes in the tube. It's a liquid with small fibre-glass fibres floating around in it: as soon as you get a hole, the liquid is forced out of the hole by the air pressure (like in the video) and the fibres clog up the hole.

It doesn't work if the hole is too big though (also as in your video link.)

You can buy tubes already fitted with slime, but from most accounts, they are worse than normal tubes with slime added by the user.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:44 pm

I ended up replacing both the tube and the tyre.

I had a pre-slime filled tyre. I suppose that it did work, insofar that I didn't know that I had the puncture when I got it and clearly it saved me from having to change the tyre on the road. However, the tyre continued to have a slow leak from the puncture site... taking with it a small bleb of green goo.

Regards.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite