Restorations, Vintage Whips, Campfire Stories

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Restorations, Vintage Whips, Campfire Stories

Postby Seaweeds » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:46 am

Been investing a huge amount of time, and money, into cycling over the last few years. I was chatting with a mate tonight over what our next purchases will be, he wants a shiny new carbon roadie while I myself want a singlespeed for the coming year (headed back to Uni) so I can keep the expensive whips under lock and key at home.

Browsed some sites, read some reviews, as you do... then realised I don't want to buy another flash new bike, rather I want to get my hands dirty with a restoration project. A classic Colnago, Peugeot, or Raleigh perhaps. Something with heritage, substance over flash, history over hype.

The thing is, where does one begin... Sure, a quality frame provides a nice foundation, but what then? What tips and tricks have you guys learnt along the way? What should be avoided? Does anyone know of any excellent reference sites on the net? Maybe you have tried a restoration already, how did it go? What did you learn? Share a story, or even a pic - help a fellow rider out, it will be much appreciated! :D
Seaweeds

by BNA » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 am

BNA

Re: Restorations, Vintage Whips, Campfire Stories

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 am

Why don't you start by looking through the Retro Bike forum?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Return to The Shed