105 Rear derailer shifting

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

105 Rear derailer shifting

Postby GNU » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Short story, I'm pretty new to road cycling and ran into some grief with 2 punctures at the same time on the weekend. I only carried 1 spare (buying a puncture kit for the saddle bag this week). Walked to a nearby bike shop which were super nice and helpful with upgrading my thin stock tyres to thinker training tyres to prevent future problems. However, on my ride home my chain came off twice whilst reverse pedalling and my gear shifts were horriblely noise and kept slipping. I've never had this problem with my bike before (Malvern Star oppy A5, full shimano 105 groupset).

I'm guessing the mechanic knocked something by accident. Its to far from home to take it back. Is this something I should tinker with myself, or should I take it to a shop for tuning? Any advice or links welcomed.
GNU

by BNA » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm

BNA

Re: 105 Rear derailer shifting

Postby Mrfenejeans » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm

http://bicycleswest.com/how-to/how-to-adjust-your-rear-derailleur-pg120.htm

This should help point you in the right direction.
Mrfenejeans

Postby Stuey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Sounds like the rear derailleur (RD) or the RD hanger might be bent, if the mechanic accidentally rested it on the ground while doing the tyre change. Other possibility is that the RD cable outer has come out of its seat on the RD adjuster, or on the frame stop. It could have caught on something while the mechanic was working on it, and would throw the adjustment out.

First thing is to check is whether the RD cage is vertical, and should be in line with the big cog on the rear when the bike is in its lowest gear.

Stu
Stuey

Postby GNU » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I adjusted the cable by screwing it counter clockwise and that seems to have fixed the problem. Quiet new to tinkering and didn't want to screw it up anymore
GNU

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm

GNU wrote:However, on my ride home my chain came off twice whilst reverse pedalling and my gear shifts were horriblely noise and kept slipping. I've never had this problem with my bike before (Malvern Star oppy A5, full shimano 105 groupset).

Of course, the obvious explanation for the bad gear shifting is simply that the wheel isn't mounted properly in the dropouts.

Secondly, I have highlighted your primary mistake. Don't do that.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby clackers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 pm

GNU wrote:Thanks for the replies. I adjusted the cable by screwing it counter clockwise and that seems to have fixed the problem. Quiet new to tinkering and didn't want to screw it up anymore

Unless something traumatic has happened, GNU, you'll often find that it's this cable tension that's changed, perhaps by stretching, and you hear that ticking or rattle from the chain.

The barrel adjuster will inch the derailleur back into place, and you can do that bit yourself.
clackers

Postby Stuey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:04 pm

I guess make more dramatic suggestions for what the problem is because I can't believe such basics can be missed by a paid mechanic, like not seating the wheel.

GNU, if the shifting was OK before the puncture, then you shouldn't have needed to adjust the RD (at least, not enough to stop the chain coming off) so I'd check what Twizzle suggested etc. as something must've moved.
Stuey

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 pm

I can play that game. :mrgreen:

The earths magentic field is finally swapping, and it's pulling the derailleur the wrong way. You should wrap the whole bike in aluminium foil.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby Stuey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:15 pm

twizzle wrote:The earths magentic field is finally swapping...

NOW you're making things up...
Stuey

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Stuey wrote:
twizzle wrote:The earths magentic field is finally swapping...

NOW you're making things up...

Lol - I have to use Internet exploder, and it doesn't have a spell checker built in. I miss firefox. :cry:
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Return to The Shed