Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Re: Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:53 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Oh, You mean the plate on the bottom. Sorry I'm being thick. :roll:

May be able to make those. It worries me that the screw heads might wear down on mine to the point that they won't come out. I think they should be recessed a bit further. Actually titanium would be excellent for that bottom plate.

I made some in my garage one day as I needed them for a bike fit and they looked well, like someone had made them in their garage - did the trick but Dave's look factory :-)

The factory plates are $20-$30 for the pair, I'm sure they could be made for far less if you had the tools.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

by BNA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 pm

BNA

Postby Jean » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Geez, I know you guys love 'em for your knees and stuff, and bless Speedplays if you they enable you to keep riding for those reasons, but this thread is enough to turn any prospective 'average' Speedplay users off for life. What a lot of faffing about for pedals/cleats. :shock:
Jean

Postby qeaou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Jean wrote:Geez, I know you guys love 'em for your knees and stuff, and bless Speedplays if you they enable you to keep riding for those reasons, but this thread is enough to turn any prospective 'average' Speedplay users off for life. What a lot of faffing about for pedals/cleats. :shock:

LOL I guess that is a fair comment,
but after all, if you pedal for 6 hours, pedal and saddle comfort become a high priority.

On another note guys,
How often to you change cleats?
qeaou

Postby qeaou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:02 pm

twizzle wrote:
qeaou wrote:On another note, big difference between stainless steel and titaniums?

Mostly to your wallet. No real-world differences, anyway.

Sent from my iThingy...

I guess I must agree, I saw this post too late, already got zero titanium,
rode 300km or so, saw no real difference
qeaou

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 pm

qeaou wrote:
Jean wrote:Geez, I know you guys love 'em for your knees and stuff, and bless Speedplays if you they enable you to keep riding for those reasons, but this thread is enough to turn any prospective 'average' Speedplay users off for life. What a lot of faffing about for pedals/cleats. :shock:

but after all, if you pedal for 6 hours, pedal and saddle comfort become a high priority.

On another note guys,

I haven't changed mine in 7500km...
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby jcjordan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
qeaou wrote:

On another note guys,

I haven't changed mine in 7500km...

Shimano every 3-4 months and half that for Leos.

Speedplays are at 9 months and counting

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby dale79 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 pm

i got some of the keep on covers for them, they are gold.. see how long they last for tho
dale79

Postby steve-waters » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Cleats last for ages just give em a quick spray with dry lube and your away - I use the cafe covers whenever not on my bike makes for safer walking and protects the cleats as well.

I have commuted with mine for the last 7 months (2x30km) daily rain hail or shine and they have been prefect - faster clipping in at lights than other pedals.
Roadie: BeOne Black, SRAM Force, TWE 50mm full carbon clinchers, Vértebrae ceramic cable housings
MTB: Chin29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels
ex-MTB now commuter: Cannondale F900 (CAAD 4), Headshok, TWE wheels, XT and Elixr CR
steve-waters

Previous

Return to The Shed